Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2015, 10:53 AM   #401
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've been busted with bringing back too much alcohol. We had to pay duty on it...that's it.

It's not a huge deal.
Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Benched For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2015, 10:56 AM   #402
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
If you get busted with too much tobacco or Alcohol you simply pay the duty and continue on.
Citation.
A Professional Edmontonian weighs in.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:58 AM   #403
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leondros View Post
Hmmm that is not true... You get a pretty hefty fine, and the officer has the ability to ban you from the country for up to 1 year.
Canada doesn't ban Canadian citizens from Canada. And unless you are talking like $1000's of dollars of loot, they just make you pay the duty....

I know from personal experience haha.

I guess he could have been taking it to the USA, but that just seems silly since its so much cheaper there.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:00 AM   #404
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

oh PS. if you don't want to pay the duty on it...or can't, or w/e, then you surrender it. The border guards I talked to said most people choose to do that.

My guess is either they have killer staff parties, or it goes into some government holding.

But really, it's no big deal.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:03 AM   #405
ToraToraTora
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benched View Post
I've been busted with bringing back too much alcohol. We had to pay duty on it...that's it.

It's not a huge deal.
Except if you lie. Then you're screwed.
ToraToraTora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:06 AM   #406
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leondros View Post
Hmmm that is not true... You get a pretty hefty fine, and the officer has the ability to make future visits to the border a huge PITA.
I know someone who cannot get some type of approval in the USA, because this person was with several others who lied on their customs declaration forms on a quick trip over the border (this person didn't lie, the friends did and essentially screwed by association). I believe it expires in 4 years or something though.

EDIT: I remember now. This person is not allowed a nexus card because of this situation, but the "window" reopens in 2 since of the 4 years ban on apply for one.

So yes, a huge PITA, but how bad must it have been for Richards if it allows a contract termination?

Last edited by DoubleF; 06-30-2015 at 11:09 AM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:09 AM   #407
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToraToraTora View Post
Except if you lie. Then you're screwed.
You can lie to them, and to the custom guys at the airport.

If/when they catch you then you're basically flagged and expect a hassle every time you cross the border. They'll give you ####, and maybe hit you with a fine, but aside from that as long as you're not smuggling something in illegally, this is some petty stuff.

So yeah, lying is bad. But again, it's not RCMP investigation material, or millions of dollars in contract -breachy material.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:12 AM   #408
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I know someone who cannot get some type of approval in the USA, because this person was with several others who lied on their customs declaration forms on a quick trip over the border (this person didn't lie, the friends did and essentially screwed by association). I believe it expires in 4 years or something though.

EDIT: I remember now. This person is not allowed a nexus card because of this situation, but the "window" reopens in 2 since of the 4 years ban on apply for one.

So yes, a huge PITA, but how bad must it have been for Richards if it allows a contract termination?
Nexus is a whole nother thing. When you're on Nexus you better live the clean life. Messing up even the smallest offense has serious repercussions. It's a very strict system, hence the ease they coast through customs.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:34 AM   #409
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Correct on Nexus.
My wife and I have it and we declare everything so that they can never have anything on us, and so that we don't get it revoked. It's super convenient for travelling into the U.S. so why lose that?
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:08 PM   #410
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
If Richards has broken the terms the team wrote into the contract (potentially an added clause when they were considering a compliance buyout) and Richards broke this clause, why is everyone so up in arms over the voided contract?

The argument is basically the "We don't like LA, so they should be unjustly punished and be stuck with the contract"

This is an employment contract. This is REAL $$$ ( and a lot of it) to Richards. You can bet he will fight this if he has any legs to stand on. If he did break the terms of his legal employment contract, then LA should be able to void his contract.

It really doesn't to me. They were in trade talks with teams. They informed those teams an issue has come up. Richards has not made any public statement despite the fact this will cost him millions AND a chance at FA tomorrow when he would have been bought out.

It sounds like a player with a questionable past, who was given 1 last chance with LA, screwing up.
But the entire point of the discussion is what did he do to allow for the contract to be voided? NHL contracts are guaranteed and LA is relying on a "material breach". This just doesn't happen everyday and is a far cry from a "regular" employment contract where it is fairly common to either rely on a breach (failed drug test, for example), or simply pay in lieu of notice.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:33 PM   #411
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
But the entire point of the discussion is what did he do to allow for the contract to be voided? NHL contracts are guaranteed and LA is relying on a "material breach". This just doesn't happen everyday and is a far cry from a "regular" employment contract where it is fairly common to either rely on a breach (failed drug test, for example), or simply pay in lieu of notice.
I don't know why you think that. Regular employment contracts are "guaranteed" to the extent you don't break them. In almost any situation at a job you can't be fired for a first offence. In fact it is quite difficult to fire someone.

If Richards did something to break his contract, reaching "material breach" status, then the Kings have the rights in the world to void it.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:24 PM   #412
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know why you think that. Regular employment contracts are "guaranteed" to the extent you don't break them. In almost any situation at a job you can't be fired for a first offence. In fact it is quite difficult to fire someone.

If Richards did something to break his contract, reaching "material breach" status, then the Kings have the rights in the world to void it.
The point is that the NHL contracts are part of the collective bargaining agreement. LA seem to be really reaching here, by alleging a material breach. I would be interested in hearing if that ever has been used in the NHL. I doubt it, and plenty of crappy things have been done by plenty of crappy individuals.

Regular (non-union) contracts are not guaranteed. An employer can fire someone with cause (no notice or pay in lieu of notice) or without cause (pay in lieu of notice). It just doesn't work that way in the NHL.

Edit: It is not difficult to fire someone outside of a union situation. Just look at the "Layoffs in the oilpatch" thread for proof.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.

Last edited by Fighting Banana Slug; 06-30-2015 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:29 PM   #413
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The point is that the NHL contracts are part of the collective bargaining agreement. LA seem to be really reaching here, by alleging a material breach
We don't know that they are reaching. And the NHL seems to agree with them. So hardly a reach from the information that we actually have present.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 02:35 PM   #414
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
We don't know that they are reaching. And the NHL seems to agree with them. So hardly a reach from the information that we actually have present.
I wouldn't read too much into that because if the NHL and it's owners had their way all contracts would be non-guaranteed like the NFL so it's no surprise they aren't going to stand in opposition to the Kings on this.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 02:38 PM   #415
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Not enough information for sure. I just think it should be noted that "material breach" is something that goes to the heart of the contract. Getting busted at a border crossing doesn't sound to me that it would count, assuming he wasn't trying to smuggle the escaped prisoners across the border (and even then, I am not so sure).
Old 06-30-2015, 02:47 PM   #416
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
The point is that the NHL contracts are part of the collective bargaining agreement. LA seem to be really reaching here, by alleging a material breach. I would be interested in hearing if that ever has been used in the NHL. I doubt it, and plenty of crappy things have been done by plenty of crappy individuals.

Regular (non-union) contracts are not guaranteed. An employer can fire someone with cause (no notice or pay in lieu of notice) or without cause (pay in lieu of notice). It just doesn't work that way in the NHL.

Edit: It is not difficult to fire someone outside of a union situation. Just look at the "Layoffs in the oilpatch" thread for proof.
Talking about firing people and then citing a layoff thread is very weak. Layoffs require compensation, same with unjustified firings (if it could even withstand a lawsuit).

Obviously the Kings feel Richards BROKE the contract which would allow them to "fire" Richards with cause. The contract being "guaranteed" is moot if the terms of the contract are broken.

Last edited by Weitz; 06-30-2015 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:48 PM   #417
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
If we're into speculation and RCMP/border services is involved...even something like chewing tobacco. In junior rookies' bags get filled with logs during the swings to the US teams or some teams filled the hollow part of seats below the cushions on the bus with logs. Now you wouldn't think a guy who has made tens of millions in his career would care about saving $20 a tin, but if he was with some average Joe buddies they would. He has a nice fishing boat so you could fit a bunch in the livewell.
Logs = turds?
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 02:58 PM   #418
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Talking about firing people and then citing a layoff thread is very weak. Layoffs require compensation, same with unjustified firings (if it could even withstand a lawsuit).

Obviously the Kings feel Richards BROKE the contract which would allow them to "fire" Richards with cause. The contract being "guaranteed" is moot if the terms of the contract are broken.

You stated that it was difficult to fire someone. It isn't. There is no such thing as "unjustified" firings, you just need to provide notice or compensation in lieu of notice, which I stated in my post.

No doubt the Kings think they have the right to terminate the contract, but to my knowledge an alleged breach of this clause has never been used. It is going to need be something really, really big and almost certainly something bigger than getting busted at the border for guns or weed, which have been suggested.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:06 PM   #419
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benched View Post
Nexus is a whole nother thing. When you're on Nexus you better live the clean life. Messing up even the smallest offense has serious repercussions. It's a very strict system, hence the ease they coast through customs.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2015, 03:20 PM   #420
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

My dad got caught trying to bring across a sound system worth a few hundred bucks without declaring it and got busted and didn't have any other repercussions besides having to pay the duty.

I once had too many smokes and just fessed up to it and they didn't do anything. Didn't even pull me to the side.

Last edited by polak; 06-30-2015 at 03:42 PM.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote