Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2023, 09:14 AM   #401
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Helley is going to want 10+million. He isn't worth that.
Maybe not but when you don't have elite talent from top to bottom an elite goaltender can close that gap. Some teams are perennially searching for that elite goaltender so if you have one it's better to keep him. Flames would have gone farther this season getting elite goaltending for $10.5 million instead of what they got from Huberdeau so if you are going to spend that on a player I don't see a problem with spending it on a proven elite goaltender.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 09:23 AM   #402
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Maybe there’s a big problem in their room. Remember it was not long ago that Maurice bailed as coach.
They need a new arena.
Old 04-28-2023, 09:27 AM   #403
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I thought Wheeler was the problem? Bowness showed up and immediately stripped him of the captaincy.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 09:39 AM   #404
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jets go out with a whimper. And they were better than us.

Flames would have embarrassed themselves.
Old 04-28-2023, 09:44 AM   #405
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

See I don’t agree. We played Vegas hard this year and should’ve won all 4 games. I think in all honesty we could’ve beat that team.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 09:45 AM   #406
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
See I don’t agree. We played Vegas hard this year and should’ve won all 4 games. I think in all honesty we could’ve beat that team.
Playoff Vegas with Mark Stone is a little different than regular season Vegas.
Old 04-28-2023, 10:03 AM   #407
OILFAN #81
Everyone's Favorite Oilfan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
If you're rebuilding a team you can't just trade away depreciating assets, sometimes you have to trade away something good. Connor has shown that he just doesn't have what it takes to play well in the playoffs. He doesn't have the size and it seems like he doesn't have the heart. I will compare him to Johnny Gaudeau but a little bit bigger and not as productive in the regular season. Believe me, I like Kyle connor, and I hate the idea that we would have to trade him, but again, you can't just trade away #### and expect good returns.
Oh I agree that to get something you have to give something but I would build around Morrissey, Connor and Ehlers.

Trade Wheeler for a pick and prospect as he will be a UFA next summer. Schiefele I think can get more of a return even though he is in the same situation as Wheeler. Dubois is the interesting one. If he wants to stay as an RFA, keep him. Otherwise ship him out too.

In terms of Hellebuyck, I think he has to be moved as well. There are other goalies around the league who will be making 5-6 M less. Winnipeg can use that on another defenseman.

Winnipeg has really good pieces. Just need to upgrade in certain areas.
OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OILFAN #81 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2023, 10:30 AM   #408
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcas...34&theme=light

fantastic 31 thoughts about my man Rick

Last edited by White Out 403; 04-28-2023 at 03:12 PM.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 11:31 AM   #409
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Jets should fire Bowness. He destroyed the locker room.
I don't think Bowness is the issue. That team with their core can't stay out of the penalty box since day 1 after the team got back into Winnipeg. To this day, they never figured it out. Hence, Paul Maurice resignation after all those years of frustration. TBH, the Jets should have never gotten in the playoffs this year. Either the Flames or the Preds would've gave VGK a run for the money.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 12:10 PM   #410
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
I don't think Bowness is the issue. That team with their core can't stay out of the penalty box since day 1 after the team got back into Winnipeg. To this day, they never figured it out. Hence, Paul Maurice resignation after all those years of frustration. TBH, the Jets should have never gotten in the playoffs this year. Either the Flames or the Preds would've gave VGK a run for the money.
When playing their best hockey down the stretch in an effort to make it to the show, the Flames lost must-win games to Chicago and Vancouver. We should be happy enough that we we're spared embarrassment at the hands of Vegas and that the organization didn't get a chance to pretend everything with the team was fine because they made they playoffs. The Flames were obviously going nowhere as a team this season.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2023, 12:14 PM   #411
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
When playing their best hockey down the stretch in an effort to make it to the show, the Flames lost must-win games to Chicago and Vancouver. We should be happy enough that we we're spared embarrassment at the hands of Vegas and that the organization didn't get a chance to pretend everything with the team was fine because they made they playoffs. The Flames were obviously going nowhere as a team this season.
Jets lost to SJ 3 times

Lots of playoff teams lost to bottom feeders down the stretch, it's the NHL the teams aren't that far apart. Heck Vancouver had a good record in the 2nd half...losing one game to them in OT wasn't a big deal
Old 04-28-2023, 12:17 PM   #412
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Jets should fire Bowness. He destroyed the locker room.
They were better than last year
Old 04-28-2023, 01:32 PM   #413
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Vancouver was on a tremendous hot streak.

The problem wasn't losing to those particular teams, it was being in a position where they had to run the table.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 01:55 PM   #414
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Vancouver was on a tremendous hot streak.

The problem wasn't losing to those particular teams, it was being in a position where they had to run the table.
The problem was being a team that lacked chemistry and that demonstrated throughout the whole season that in do-or-die situations they were the kind of group that dies. No reason to think that in a do-or-die situation against Vegas in a seven game series they would have come out better than the Jets.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 09:07 AM   #415
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not surprising, but not good news for Jets fans. At about the 1:58 mark, Hellebuyck gives an identical response to a question from a reporter that Backlund gave, saying he wants to win and wants to be on a team that gives him the best chance to do that.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1652322939461566466
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 09:11 AM   #416
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Neiderreiter though, does want to return to the Jets

https://twitter.com/user/status/1652325717328232450
Old 04-29-2023, 09:17 AM   #417
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Be careful what you ask for. He's a good talent but he's glass. You can't count on him and I think that's something that will dog him for his entire career.

I would be weary of going scorched earth as with that goaltender they can always compete and why would you turf a star US player (Connor) that's okay with playing in Canada? I can guarantee they will be instantly better the moment they move on from Scheifele who is the reincarnation of Craig Janney. Addition by subtraction right there as that guy is one of the biggest cancers in the NHL.
I'm interested in Craig Janney was he also not paying people for services?
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 09:38 AM   #418
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was at game 5. Said it before and I'll say it again: Vegas is the best place to watch an NHL game.
  • The area around the arena is great, and the atmosphere is great. It is also extremely friendly and welcoming (by contrast, try wearing an opposing jersey in EDM or VAN)
  • They put on a fantastic show - even if it is pretty cheesy at times (it is Vegas after all).
  • The fans are the friendliest I have experienced in NA.
  • During whistles, the activity is non-stop. In Calgary, there will be 'one' item in the break, and the announcer dude will drag you through it for the 90 seconds or so. In Vegas, it's bang, bang, bang. And is usually higher quality.
  • Most important (yes, I'm saying it again), the fans are the friendliest I have experienced. Was with Jet fans, and SEVERAL Vegas fans apologized for the unfortunate result for them. We laughed and joked with every fan that we engaged with, and all the fans around us. Always a great time in Vegas.

On the downside:
  • I have always felt the arena itself is over-rated. Just a big, boring, concrete box. But the surrounding area is great, and the entertainment is non-stop, so you don't really notice.
  • Concessions are RIDICULOUS. Three drinks, $80 US. Two gins and a beer, over $100 Cdn. Just crazy.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2023, 09:46 AM   #419
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wheeler responded today directly to Bowness' comments to the media after the loss the other night.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1652331750037630977

Bowness' comments below for those that missed it.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1651831498507538433
Old 04-29-2023, 09:52 AM   #420
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't like seeing the coach air their dirty laundry in public - I agree with Wheeler on that aspect. However, sitting at the game - from the opening puck drop - we were all discussing the complete lack of push-back or fight that the Jets were displaying. Pretty pathetic effort for an elimination game.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:

Tags
2023 , jets , knights , playoffs