Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 05:11 PM   #4121
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I live in the Foothills riding and voted John Barlow of the Conservatives. He was the only candidate who bothered to knock on my door and answer any questions I had. None of the others left pamphlets or knocked so they lost any chance of getting my vote.

I noticed that CP member Jane Morgan's husband Cory was on the ballot running as a Libertarian.
I hate to pick on you, but sorry in advance. This is a pet peeve of mine. As a guy who has run personally and worked more campaigns than I care to count, I can only say that the candidates are out knocking on doors and trying to hit as many as possible. They're not lazy if they don't make it to your door though, and they don't just "not bother". Except for guys like Jason Kenney or Stephen Harper because they don't have to. Or candidates who are just paper candidates.

Seriously though, to door knock say an entire road it takes a very long time. I door knocked as much of my community as possible when I ran, and I guarantee you that there were people who were like "I'm not voting for that guy because he didn't even knock on my door" in other areas. Its a gargantuan undertaking. All that much more impressive when you have someone like Kent Hehr or Matt Grant where they've been through the entire riding multiple times.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2015, 05:12 PM   #4122
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry if this has come up a lot, I'm not going through the whole thread to search this. Did they change when election results can start to be reported? CBC's site is already showing Labrador poll results.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:13 PM   #4123
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Sorry if this has come up a lot, I'm not going through the whole thread to search this. Did they change when election results can start to be reported? CBC's site is already showing Labrador poll results.
Yes, it's allowed now.

Looks like the Liberals are 5 for 5 so far.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:14 PM   #4124
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, no restrictions anymore. All of Canada except martimes, BC and Yukon close at the same time now, so early reporting doesn't have any impact.
The Following User Says Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2015, 05:14 PM   #4125
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

And is that just a recent change? Was it allowed last election, or is this the first one?
Old 10-19-2015, 05:15 PM   #4126
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

LPC coming at 75+%
Old 10-19-2015, 05:16 PM   #4127
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Liberals winning Newfoundland and Labrador seats with like 60-90% of votes in the five ridings. LOL.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:19 PM   #4128
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

NFLD Liberals had 37.9% of the vote in 2011. This is looking like a huge increase in proportion very early.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:21 PM   #4129
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Liberals winning Newfoundland and Labrador seats with like 60-90% of votes in the five ridings. LOL.
Those are the advanced polls, which are always strong for the opposition in an election that is a move for change.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2015, 05:21 PM   #4130
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Blech, Danielle Smith on Global.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:22 PM   #4131
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And is that just a recent change? Was it allowed last election, or is this the first one?
I believe this is the first time i'ts been allowed. With internet they can't control when the results are given anymore.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:23 PM   #4132
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha, CTV's war room looks like an IKEA show room. Half kitchen's , half living rooms etc.Still pretty good.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:24 PM   #4133
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I hate to pick on you, but sorry in advance. This is a pet peeve of mine. As a guy who has run personally and worked more campaigns than I care to count, I can only say that the candidates are out knocking on doors and trying to hit as many as possible. They're not lazy if they don't make it to your door though, and they don't just "not bother". Except for guys like Jason Kenney or Stephen Harper because they don't have to. Or candidates who are just paper candidates.

Seriously though, to door knock say an entire road it takes a very long time. I door knocked as much of my community as possible when I ran, and I guarantee you that there were people who were like "I'm not voting for that guy because he didn't even knock on my door" in other areas. Its a gargantuan undertaking. All that much more impressive when you have someone like Kent Hehr or Matt Grant where they've been through the entire riding multiple times.
Door knocking is definitely not an easy task and I've learnt that different campaigns have very different strategies. The larger the campaign team and volunteer base the easier it becomes to hit every door.

Matt Grant's father was the only guy that came to our door. Interestingly enough, Len Webber was the candidate that provided any literature to our home which seemed really weird. We didn't get any flyers or materials from Matt Grant or Kirk Heuser. I expected a lot of materials from those guys because it is a critical riding for those guys and a very left leaning area.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:27 PM   #4134
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think our PC Candidate thinks this is in the bag. He's quite popular around here, or at least that is the gist of every conversation I've heard regarding him. Didn't hear from him, didn't see anything from him. The only party that came door to door in our neighborhood was the Liberal candidate.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:27 PM   #4135
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post

Okay so I was being a tad unfair in regards to the door knocking thing. The fact we had a longer than normal election campain and 6 people on the ballot, stuck me odd that only one knocked or left me a pamphlet.

Pure coincidence of course but I ran into John Barlow again at the local McDonalds this afternoon. Maybe it's a small town thing - who knows.

Last edited by Dion; 10-19-2015 at 05:29 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dion For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2015, 05:29 PM   #4136
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

So remind me again how they are reporting the East Coast polls when the West Coast hasn't even closed? I thought there was a news blackout until all polling stations were closed?
Old 10-19-2015, 05:30 PM   #4137
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Changed now, apparently.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:30 PM   #4138
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

When the Liberals last won a majority with Chretien, 44.9% of Newfoundland voters voted Liberal. They are at 72% now after the first 13000 votes.

Nanos had Liberal Atlantic support at 53% yesterday.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:31 PM   #4139
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
So remind me again how they are reporting the East Coast polls when the West Coast hasn't even closed? I thought there was a news blackout until all polling stations were closed?
No blackouts anymore.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:31 PM   #4140
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
Blech, Danielle Smith on Global.
I can just imagine the look on your face when you saw her