Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2015, 09:48 AM   #4081
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
While the idea is awesome, my experience with Playstation Now has pretty much killed my excitement for services like this. I realize they're quite different, but you can't eliminate 100% of the lag even if the source is within the house. Hell, some people don't even play with wireless controllers due to perceived lag.

I tried a shooter on Playstation Now and it wasn't even a little possible. Smaller games like Pixeljunk Eden were totally fine, but anything twitchy was a g-damn disaster.
From what I'm seeing, you use an Xbox One controller (it connects to the console with WiFi-Direct) with the PC or tablet acting as your screen.
TorqueDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:30 PM   #4082
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
So would this allow you to play Halo on your desktop PC running Windows 10, with full keyboard and mouse control, thus having a clear advantage over console players?
TB covers a bit about that (though keep in mind he's heavy into PC gaming).

Starts at 3:20 and mentions it directly at 5:10

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:24 PM   #4083
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
TB covers a bit about that (though keep in mind he's heavy into PC gaming).

Starts at 3:20 and mentions it directly at 5:10
He makes a good point about how stupid it is to stream from Xbox to PC. Even if you can use keyboard/mouse controls, it would only be useful in a very limited scenario. But if they did it the other way around and let you stream games from Windows 10 to the Xbox One, that would be a huge feature over the PS4. I just got into Steam streaming after setting up a new HTPC and it's pretty awesome, being able to play games where a gamepad is preferred is much nicer in my living room than sitting in front of the PC. And the client hardware you need for Steam streaming is very basic, even an Intel Atom processor can handle it, so surely the Xbox One could do it as well

The more I think about it the more baffled I am that Microsoft didn't do this. For PC gamers it would not only provide a big reason to upgrade to Windows 10 right away but also a good reason to pick up an Xbox One even if you don't care much about the exclusive games
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:45 AM   #4084
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having not read anything about the streaming....is it simply I'm sitting in my house streaming from the xbox to the PC or is this a slingbox type of deal?
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:50 AM   #4085
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
Having not read anything about the streaming....is it simply I'm sitting in my house streaming from the xbox to the PC or is this a slingbox type of deal?
I read that it is on the same home network but it is all early so could change.

Future historians will celebrate June 24, 2024 as the date when the timeline corrected itself.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:46 PM   #4086
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmmm been missing the NPD's the last few months. I guess January numbers were out last week with the PS4 outselling the Xbone in North America again.

Rather surprising with the Xbone priced cheaper. Likely even more price drops and bundles coming soon?
Old 02-23-2015, 01:10 PM   #4087
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rookie Q I'm sure, but I finally decided to cave and purchase PS+ (not much of an MP guy, but figured what the hell). Just wondering, is it secure to enter your credit card # in the area provided when setting it up?

I just ask because I remember PSN had a huge security breach a year or two ago, it's got me a little wary about it now. Thanks guys

Posted from Calgarypuck.com App for Android
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:33 PM   #4088
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Rookie Q I'm sure, but I finally decided to cave and purchase PS+ (not much of an MP guy, but figured what the hell). Just wondering, is it secure to enter your credit card # in the area provided when setting it up?

I just ask because I remember PSN had a huge security breach a year or two ago, it's got me a little wary about it now. Thanks guys

Posted from Calgarypuck.com App for Android
Just leave it empty and use the gift cards you can buy in store if you are at all worried about it. It's how I use the PSN, XBL and iTunes stores. Some stores like XBL makes it notoriously difficult to remove it after the fact. And you're likely to be able to buy the subscription and cards at a discount anyways.
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2015, 01:38 PM   #4089
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Just leave it empty and use the gift cards you can buy in store if you are at all worried about it. It's how I use the PSN, XBL and iTunes stores. Some stores like XBL makes it notoriously difficult to remove it after the fact. And you're likely to be able to buy the subscription and cards at a discount anyways.
That is the understatement of the decade.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Violator For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2015, 08:50 AM   #4090
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sony put out new numbers at GDC, PS4's pushing past 20 million already. Roughly the Xbone and Wii U combined now.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/03/0...nits-worldwide
Old 03-04-2015, 10:28 AM   #4091
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

20 million and no games... sweet!
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:55 AM   #4092
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
weird because I have been playing lots of games on it
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:56 AM   #4093
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't understand the global numbers too well but how is the old PS3 outselling Xbox1 in Europe and Japan? Is Xbox1 that unpopular overseas? Just seems odd.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:59 AM   #4094
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
Heh, can you imagine the console sales numbers when games finally do come out for it?

Last edited by chemgear; 03-04-2015 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:03 AM   #4095
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
I don't understand the global numbers too well but how is the old PS3 outselling Xbox1 in Europe and Japan? Is Xbox1 that unpopular overseas? Just seems odd.
XBox is a dead console in Japan, and I don't believe Microsoft is marketing to Europe as much as they used to. They are really focused on North America more than anything.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2015, 11:08 AM   #4096
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
The Xbox has always being a niche product in Japan, with things like the STG (shoot em up) community getting lots of love on the system, but not elsewhere. The 360 did badly there so it wasn't suprising that the Xbone was released well after it was released here.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2015, 11:15 AM   #4097
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

It really is a shame that Nintendo just can't do for the WiiU what it does for the 3DS. Obviously caused by the new hardware release, but for the week of February 14 (according to vgchartz), more 3DSes were bought than every other console combined. Three of the top ten games were 3DS, including Zelda Majora's Mask at nearly 900,000.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:27 AM   #4098
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
It really is a shame that Nintendo just can't do for the WiiU what it does for the 3DS. Obviously caused by the new hardware release, but for the week of February 14 (according to vgchartz), more 3DSes were bought than every other console combined. Three of the top ten games were 3DS, including Zelda Majora's Mask at nearly 900,000.
Nintendo has loyal fans who bought the new 3DS and collect all things Nintendo and they the biggest reason they have done so well is how they have marketed to kids. Almost every kid I know under 12 has a 3DS

Adults are less likely to buy a handheld gaming only device
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:30 AM   #4099
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
XBox is a dead console in Japan, and I don't believe Microsoft is marketing to Europe as much as they used to. They are really focused on North America more than anything.
I'm not sure it is a matter of "focus" or not but Microsoft (360 and Xbone)has never really done that well outside of North America and the UK.

I think those two regions alone account for 70-75% of all the Xbone numbers. The PS4 is beating them in those two regions and it's a landslide everywhere else in the world.

And these sale numbers is already with a 30% price cut after just one year for the Xbone. The PS4 hasn't even gotten the extra sales kick once they lower the price a bit in holiday 2015(?)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2015, 02:15 PM   #4100
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Titanfall 2 confirmed, coming to Xbox One, PS4 and PC

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/03/1...one-ps4-and-pc

Guessing it will get mid 9s now
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote