Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2024, 09:16 PM   #4081
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Staring into the licking flames of a fire is one of life's pure joys.
Yeah, I thought pretty much everyone loved sitting around a fire. Staring into the flames, hearing the cracking and popping, smelling the smells.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 09:44 PM   #4082
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Is the joke that is a corporate work environment something that one should hope to make whatever improvements they can? Or better to lean right into the nonsense and forget reason?

Like I know the ‘meetings’ troupe is well worn by now, but Jesus. I get lit up for not having meetings with people who aren’t involved, impacted, or otherwise relevant to the decisions…because you know, I was busy meeting with the people who ARE involved, impacted or relevant to the decision. Like do people just thrive off this sort of nonsense? This is the expectation? Be busy all the time and never consider why you’re ‘busy’? Meet and talk about things you’ve talked about a million times and chat about meeting to talk about things that you don’t need to even talk about let alone meet about them have a meeting about the talk you had then talk to others about the talk you had about the meeting and meet to talk about the talks about the last meeting better be mildly involved in everything all the time so I can ignore the actual issues at hand because I’m so busy with all this talking and meeting about things that don’t matter but hey we talked about it and decided to meet about the talk about those things that don’t matter.

####. Off.
Old 05-15-2024, 10:13 PM   #4083
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Is the joke that is a corporate work environment something that one should hope to make whatever improvements they can? Or better to lean right into the nonsense and forget reason?

Like I know the ‘meetings’ troupe is well worn by now, but Jesus. I get lit up for not having meetings with people who aren’t involved, impacted, or otherwise relevant to the decisions…because you know, I was busy meeting with the people who ARE involved, impacted or relevant to the decision. Like do people just thrive off this sort of nonsense? This is the expectation? Be busy all the time and never consider why you’re ‘busy’? Meet and talk about things you’ve talked about a million times and chat about meeting to talk about things that you don’t need to even talk about let alone meet about them have a meeting about the talk you had then talk to others about the talk you had about the meeting and meet to talk about the talks about the last meeting better be mildly involved in everything all the time so I can ignore the actual issues at hand because I’m so busy with all this talking and meeting about things that don’t matter but hey we talked about it and decided to meet about the talk about those things that don’t matter.

####. Off.
What kind of work environment is this where you'd get flack for endeavouring to keep meetings well-defined and on track? That's seems to bizarre to me.

I have had meetings where the big boss went off on a weird tangent and I was able to chime in and tell him this wasn't the purpose of the meeting and we should keep it on track, because it's definitely in his best interest that we do. Anyway, we all like got reset and moved along.

Why don't you feel like you can be candid and honest about this at work? If I were your boss, I'd appreciate the effort.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 08:20 AM   #4084
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Too many people who dont add value and have to find ways to justify their jobs.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 09:04 AM   #4085
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post

####. Off.
I once worked at a large federally-regulated company. The amount of asinine crap i had to do on unimportant matters was immense. Then there was the insane micromanagement - like asking to edit meeting invites etc. - that just put me over the edge.

I lasted 6 months. 4 of those months were me actively looking for a new job.

You hired me to do a job, paid me ####, and overloaded me with work i cannot do in the 9-5 you promised. At least let me try to get it all done within the confines of my hours of work
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 08:20 PM   #4086
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m not a very big fan of the Tragicaly Hip but when I’m in a pensive, melancholic mood, they hit the spot perfectly.
PaperBagger'14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 10:05 PM   #4087
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
I’m not a very big fan of the Tragicaly Hip but when I’m in a pensive, melancholic mood, they hit the spot perfectly.
What songs are doing the trick for you?

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 02:15 AM   #4088
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Glad my mom is still sharp, she just had one of those Whatsapp scams where someone contacted her pretending to be me and asking for money.

Scary though reading the messages, they might have fooled a grandparent or someone a bit older. ####in scumbag scammer pricks
I really wish we could put parental locks on our parents' social media accounts.

The stuff my mom tells me about: somebody comments on every single one of her Facebook posts that's visible to strangers, looking for an in. Possibly the same person.. or entity.. sending her private messages, friend requests, they seem to have found her on Instagram as well. She thinks it's amusing, pulling out this story of some youngish guy trying to court her. And we're all like, "oh for #### sakes, mom!"

And there's the people who are pretending to be her friends with fake accounts--whether they themselves were hacked, I don't know. Their DMs always begin with something like "I need a favour....." or "Can you help me with something?

One of my brothers or I routinely have to comb through her social media accounts for her and clean it all up, tighten security settings, delete random people who find themselves on her friends lists.

It's actually quite stressful.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 09:25 AM   #4089
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
What songs are doing the trick for you?
Grace, too probably scratches the itch the best, with Nautical Disaster and Twist My Arm in my top 3. Yourself?
PaperBagger'14 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2024, 11:22 AM   #4090
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
I really wish we could put parental locks on our parents' social media accounts.

The stuff my mom tells me about: somebody comments on every single one of her Facebook posts that's visible to strangers, looking for an in. Possibly the same person.. or entity.. sending her private messages, friend requests, they seem to have found her on Instagram as well. She thinks it's amusing, pulling out this story of some youngish guy trying to court her. And we're all like, "oh for #### sakes, mom!"

And there's the people who are pretending to be her friends with fake accounts--whether they themselves were hacked, I don't know. Their DMs always begin with something like "I need a favour....." or "Can you help me with something?

One of my brothers or I routinely have to comb through her social media accounts for her and clean it all up, tighten security settings, delete random people who find themselves on her friends lists.

It's actually quite stressful.
Theres so many things.

First of all, I think Facebook needs a breathalyzer login requirement and thats just for starters.

The thing is, we're all inundated with so much BS that its staggering. People my age have trouble with it because we were essentially the Test Batch, we were around just barely before the Internet and then were the Lab Rats.

And then you've got the other generations.

The people who were born into the Internet Age and the people who existed long before it ever existed.

The former Generation dont know any different, they've been indoctrinated into it and the latter Generations, generally, our Parents, dont have the experience to weed out the BS.

And I've been donating to the SkyNet foundation for years just trying to help put an end to this. Lets be honest...the Terminators are necessary and we should welcome them as overlords. Humanity has had a decent run, time to give someone else a shot.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 11:39 AM   #4091
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Using “seen” in place of “saw” has to be in the top 5 verbal tells for hillbillies.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2024, 03:42 PM   #4092
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Y’all seen what Pepsi done did?
Old 05-17-2024, 03:44 PM   #4093
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am starting to enjoy the bulk Facebook block, liked Silver does. Sometimes I’ll see an objectionably stupid post, and I’ll go through and block every single person who liked it. I don’t go crazy, maybe just if it’s 50 people max.
Old 05-17-2024, 03:46 PM   #4094
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Using “seen” in place of “saw” has to be in the top 5 verbal tells for hillbillies.
Don't loose your cool over it.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 03:48 PM   #4095
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Don't loose your cool over it.

I seen what ya’all done there
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 03:50 PM   #4096
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
"Seen" instead of "saw", and "on accident" instead of "by accident"

Both drive me nuts
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2024, 06:29 PM   #4097
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Grace, too probably scratches the itch the best, with Nautical Disaster and Twist My Arm in my top 3. Yourself?
It’s a Good Life If You Don’t Weaken is sooooo good.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2024, 06:31 PM   #4098
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But saying you saw Saw doesn’t roll off the tongue quite so easily.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 06:32 PM   #4099
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I’m all over the place with my tastes with the hip, it differs week to week.

I really enjoy Lake Fever and Toronto #4 and pretty much the entirety of Day for Night but I do tend to cringe every time Courage comes on.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 06:48 PM   #4100
ThisIsAnOutrage
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
"Seen" instead of "saw", and "on accident" instead of "by accident"

Both drive me nuts
"Both drive my nuts."

Your welcome.