Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2011, 03:47 PM   #381
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

The queue times for this game are the BEST for any MMO launch I've scene.

http://www.swtor.com/server-status

They have a lot of empty servers - I expect a lot of people to create characters and alts on the new servers, so hopefully they queue times are managable. I know if my wait is longer than a half hour, I'm rolling an Republic alt on a low population server.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:59 PM   #382
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
The queue times for this game are the BEST for any MMO launch I've scene.

http://www.swtor.com/server-status

They have a lot of empty servers - I expect a lot of people to create characters and alts on the new servers, so hopefully they queue times are managable. I know if my wait is longer than a half hour, I'm rolling an Republic alt on a low population server.
Great, my server is full already and it's not even prime time!

If this is routinely a problem, I suspect I'll end up installing some kind of remote desktop software and start the login process from work before I leave the office. Hopefully by the time I get home, I'll have made it through the queue.

Last Friday night, the login wait took longer than two hours, and that was pre-launch! I heard that my server has sort of become the unofficial Oceania server, and Friday night for us is Saturday afternoon for them, so I can see why the queue was so long. Still sucks though.
MarchHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:04 PM   #383
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post

If this is routinely a problem, I suspect I'll end up installing some kind of remote desktop software and start the login process from work before I leave the office. Hopefully by the time I get home, I'll have made it through the queue.

Last Friday night, the login wait took longer than two hours, and that was pre-launch! I heard that my server has sort of become the unofficial Oceania server, and Friday night for us is Saturday afternoon for them, so I can see why the queue was so long. Still sucks though.
Isnt there some sort of timeout if you are idle for too long?

I remember when I played DDO, it would only last 10 mins or so.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:08 PM   #384
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Isnt there some sort of timeout if you are idle for too long?

I remember when I played DDO, it would only last 10 mins or so.
Maybe, but my server was experiencing 2+ hour queues last weekend. I could login from the office an hour or so before I left the office, and by the time I got home I'd have 30 minutes to wait to login instead of two hours.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:52 PM   #385
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post

Get off the server while you can. You don't want to be on any server that is the unofficial out of North America server.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:42 AM   #386
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2011, 12:20 PM   #387
MaDMaN_26
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I got DC'ed last night mid fight. Went to log back in was told I was already logged on and needed to wait for that to time out. Then got a Queue for 30 minutes... finally logged in and was dead. Not my best SWTOR experience to date... I'm not a big fan of queues... that said... 99% of the time I'm having a blast.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:18 PM   #388
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

so i just got my ship and started doing space missions. not only are they awesome and a fun break from RPG'ing, but they will power level you in a hurry

TOR is such a refreshing change of pace from any other MMO i've played. not once have i felt like i've been in a grind, waiting for a specific mob to spawn, or spent stupid amounts of time just traveling to do something. the pace has been excellent so far, and really shows how Bioware has polished the traditional MMO formula
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:13 AM   #389
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

My PC won't run this, but it is very tempting to go out and buy a new one . . . I really want to play SWTOR. Maybe I'll fire up WOW to get my fix.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:40 AM   #390
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

last stupid question

I have a system with a

AMD Athlon II X4 630 2800 processor
6 GB Ram
ATI Radeon 5500 with 1 GB ram
Windows 7 64 bit

Are those specs ok for the game.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:45 AM   #391
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
last stupid question

I have a system with a

6 GB Ram
Windows 7 64 bit

Quote:
What are the system requirements for the game?
Processor:
  • AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better
  • Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz or better Operating System:
  • Windows XP or later
RAM:
  • Windows XP: 1.5GB RAM
  • Windows Vista and Windows 7: 2GB RAM
Note: PCs using a built-in graphical chipset are recommended to have 2GB of RAM.
Star Wars: The Old Republic requires a video card that has a minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM as well as support for Shader 3.0 or better. Examples include:
  • ATI X1800 or better
  • nVidia 7800 or better
  • Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better
DVD-ROM drive – 8x speed or better (required for installation from physical editions only) Internet connection required to play.

i'd say you'll be fine
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2011, 12:50 AM   #392
flamesfan6
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
last stupid question

I have a system with a

6 GB Ram
Windows 7 64 bit

that should run on low at least quite well, i have less memory, bit worse of a cpu, and probably a comparable graphics card (nvidea 8600) and i can run the game on low with little performance issues.
flamesfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:19 PM   #393
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Groan, I dowloaded it today and setup my account and all that, and now its downloading videos and main assets and the damn thing is taking forever, all I want to do is play the game damnit.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:47 PM   #394
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Wow, this game is awesome

Name Avriss
Class Sith Warrior
server Darogan trail

Walked into the Sith crypt killed a bunch of dudes took the sword, went to the academy and interrogated the prisoners, got two right but let the innocent guy go so I got yelled at by the Overseer, I'll be jamming a sword into his face later. Now I'm on the way to face a monster in the tomb.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:25 PM   #395
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Wow, this game is awesome

Name Avriss
Class Sith Warrior
server Darogan trail

Walked into the Sith crypt killed a bunch of dudes took the sword, went to the academy and interrogated the prisoners, got two right but let the innocent guy go so I got yelled at by the Overseer, I'll be jamming a sword into his face later. Now I'm on the way to face a monster in the tomb.
it's basically 8 Bioware RPG's (1 for each class story) rolled into an MMO. TOR takes the best stuff from games like WoW, Mass Effect, and KOTOR, then wraps everything up in a nice bow with the smoothest launch and most polish of any MMO i've played. it may not have enough innovation for people like Blaster, but they do things like group instances, story quests, crafting, and traveling better than any other game before it. plus the lore is fantastic, and there's so many directions Bioware can go with it. i can see myself playing this for a long time
Old 12-25-2011, 12:05 AM   #396
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Now if only I could figure out a way to kill the beast in Marko Ragnos crypt, but I do have a bunch of new sith powers that I need to try out.

Old 12-25-2011, 02:11 AM   #397
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I have a question for when you're low level. Can you quest with friends and do cool missions when you're low level? I know when I played WoW for like 2 weeks that I couldn't do any of the really big gang quests because you needed to like level 35-50+
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 05:43 AM   #398
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Now if only I could figure out a way to kill the beast in Marko Ragnos crypt, but I do have a bunch of new sith powers that I need to try out.
I took him on at level 6, and didn't have much of a problem with him. Just jam your cooldowns, keep in mind Saber Ward (which you should have at that point) and don't forget the Medpak (but don't leave it TOO late, either). Make sure you are self buffed (The number of times I've found this dropped on myself already is astounding) and don't get frustrated.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 05:45 AM   #399
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
I have a question for when you're low level. Can you quest with friends and do cool missions when you're low level? I know when I played WoW for like 2 weeks that I couldn't do any of the really big gang quests because you needed to like level 35-50+
If you want to, you can create a character with someone (a friend, wife, etc) and level from 1 to 50 together seeing everything the other can do. If you are different classes (You a warrior, friend a consular, for example) there is nothing 'extra' need be done but play. If yo are both the same class, all that is required is that you "check" an option (I don't remember exactly where, sorry) in your preferences that is something along the lines of "allow access to same class story phases" and you can both use the same class story phase.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:29 PM   #400
Finner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Everytime i read this thread it makes we want to get this game.

I hated Wow got to a level 20 before i quit but loved KOTOR. Last MMO i played was Eve and that only lasted 2 or 3 months.

I don't have tons of time either during the week, and it made it difficult to get to know people in game.
Finner is offline   Reply With Quote