Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Where would you like the Flames to go with their jerseys?
Keep with the existing set 9 2.34%
go back to vintage home and away 229 59.48%
go back to 2004 home and away 26 6.75%
minor tweak to the existing set (piping, flags) 40 10.39%
new design that adds black to the retro look 36 9.35%
completely new design 39 10.13%
other (elaborate) 6 1.56%
Voters: 385. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 02:14 PM   #381
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm really worried that the jerseys we'll be able to buy will look cheap. I like having the sewn numbers.

I know they sold those cheap numbers before but I hope like last time we'll be able to choose the nice real numbers instead.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:28 PM   #382
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd be happy with something similar to the 2004 jerseys.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:39 PM   #383
Cube Inmate
First Line Centre

Exp:

My vote for "completely new design" supports some of the fantastic retro-inspired looks we saw in the other thread. But not full-retro, full-time.

I want something that looks like it was designed in 2017, not 1972, 1995, 2003, or 2007.
I want to see more of the classic colours, but that doesn't mean black has to be completely eliminated. I want clean lines and the elimination of brutal, clashing blue flag patches.

I'm prepared to be disappointed. At least it's only 5 days to go until we can start the next 10-year countdown to new uniforms.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cube Inmate For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2017, 04:27 PM   #384
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Based on the Flames history, and Ken Kings comments at recent STH lunches... I suspect the flags & piping are here to stay for this "new" uniform.

The only real changes we'll see will be how Adidas handles panels/piping/collars league wide. It'll be interesting to see if Adidas keeps the laces at the collar though.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:57 PM   #385
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Already cringing about a merely tweaked uniform that will maintain most of the features that made the 08-17 primaries an eyesore.

And they will go on about how brilliant they think the changes are, while not a single person in the vicinity of calgary even thinks about reaching for their wallet.

They're clueless when it comes to marketing the look of the team. Quite a shame, as with the right changes the Flames jersey could be up there with the top sellers in the league.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:08 PM   #386
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Already cringing about a merely tweaked uniform that will maintain most of the features that made the 08-17 primaries an eyesore.

And they will go on about how brilliant they think the changes are, while not a single person in the vicinity of calgary even thinks about reaching for their wallet.

They're clueless when it comes to marketing the look of the team. Quite a shame, as with the right changes the Flames jersey could be up there with the top sellers in the league.
What do you think will give the Flames more revenue from jersey sales?

A) Go to a retro in 2017-18, and release a third jersey in 2018-19?

B) Remove the flags and piping from the current jersey, and release the retro in 2018-19?

I'm going with B. People will buy the current jersey, and Adidas isn't allowing an alternate jersey in 2017-18. There are always going to be people who want jerseys. If the Flames do well, they'll sell some more. In the following season they can release a retro. People love the retro, and will buy this as well. Some of us will buy both. If go to a retro full time this year, you may not sell many third jerseys when they are released. You can't release the current version of the jersey as a third, because people won't buy it, according to you. There will always be demand for the retro. By making it your primary, you are cannibalizing your own sales. You also have to pay to make a new third jersey if you go with a retro this year.

I'm going to guess they've thought about this, and aren't as clueless as you think they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2017, 09:52 PM   #387
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I'm really disappointed in the NHL and Adidas for doing sneak peaks on what looks to be jerseys that we've already seen.

How many dudes in a meeting room does it take to have one guy step up and say "aren't we going to piss everyone off by making it sound like something new is coming when in the end it's not?"

Just a logic head scratcher.

I'm disappointed the Flames aren't doing much for sure, but it's a league wide screw up in my mind.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2017, 09:58 PM   #388
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe it's the current Jersey without the flags.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:06 PM   #389
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I'd take any of no piping, no flags, no odd armpit stripes, or no odd yellow bottom border
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2017, 10:09 PM   #390
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm really disappointed in the NHL and Adidas for doing sneak peaks on what looks to be jerseys that we've already seen.

How many dudes in a meeting room does it take to have one guy step up and say "aren't we going to piss everyone off by making it sound like something new is coming when in the end it's not?"

I'm disappointed the Flames aren't doing much for sure, but it's a league wide screw up in my mind.
I'm struggling to think of the last time the NHL did something related to marketing well since the "History will be made" ads. That was 7 years ago.

If this is the case, it's just another tally in the strike column that's way too large for a major sports league.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:34 PM   #391
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah it should at least be a cash grab opportunity for at least some change across the board to help sell jerseys.... If they look the same, not as many are going to bother
Old 06-16-2017, 12:27 AM   #392
3rd line Grinder
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I'm struggling to think of the last time the NHL did something related to marketing well since the "History will be made" ads. That was 7 years ago.

If this is the case, it's just another tally in the strike column that's way too large for a major sports league.
This year's commercials with the "every letter is earned" i thought was really well done, especailly with yzerman, espisito, roy and keon
Old 06-16-2017, 08:02 AM   #393
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd line Grinder View Post
This year's commercials with the "every letter is earned" i thought was really well done, especailly with yzerman, espisito, roy and keon
Took me a few seconds to figure out what was happening in that commercial. They sounded like they needed help spelling.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:10 AM   #394
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd line Grinder View Post
Really? I thought this was one of the worst they've done.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2017, 08:32 AM   #395
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Serious question for the flag haters (which includes myself)

Would you be okay with flag shoulder patches if they were made monochrome, or alternatively were just the maple leaf and Alberta Crest?
Old 06-16-2017, 08:39 AM   #396
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacopuck View Post
Serious question for the flag haters (which includes myself)

Would you be okay with flag shoulder patches if they were made monochrome, or alternatively were just the maple leaf and Alberta Crest?
Even the horse head is better than the flags.

Let's be honest though, I'm still gonna buy this jersey...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2017, 08:44 AM   #397
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
Even the horse head is better than the flags.
Go home Geeoff, you're drunk.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:46 AM   #398
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

For most people is the objection to the flags because of the blue colour of the AB flag or just the extra stuff on the jersey being somewhat cluttered?
Old 06-16-2017, 08:46 AM   #399
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Go home Geeoff, you're drunk.
I agree with Geeoff, I actually liked that logo a lot lol.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:48 AM   #400
foofighter15
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I may be reaching here but I think some of the hate for the flags comes from the way we made fun of the Canucks for putting Vancouver over the logo only for the Flames to come out with our jersey two weeks later with the flags.
Closed Thread