Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2014, 03:57 PM   #381
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Just finished season 3, and I think I'm going to pretend that was a series finale. The whole reason I started watching Homeland was because Damien Lewis was the lead, and he was such an underrated actor ever since Band of Brothers. I hated the Carrie character from the start, and with Saul not really in the picture anymore I just can't see a reason to check out season 4

I think this is a case where the writers blew their wad too early, as the first 2 seasons were awesome but then in season 3 they didn't seem to know what to do. So much time centered around such an uninteresting character in Dana that ultimately amounted to nothing, re-using the same plotlines of Carrie being crazy and ignoring orders yet somehow being forgiven, it just felt like a mess until the last couple of episodes

IMO the first season should have left Brodie a mystery and focused soley on the black marine who was turned, maybe with a cliffhanger at the end of season 1 with Brodie meeting one of Nazir's guys. They could have done so much more with that premise but seemed to rush through it way too quickly
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2014, 10:10 PM   #382
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

Season 4 is out october 2nd. I can't flipping wait. Hopefully they don't wait until half the season is done to get good this time.
Well, deal with it. I wasn't cheering for Canada either way. Nothing worse than arrogant Canadian fans. They'd be lucky to finish 4th. Quote me on that. They have a bad team and that is why I won't be cheering for them.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brannigans Law For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2014, 01:34 PM   #383
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:34 PM   #384
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Best season so far. Can't wait to find out how Bodie survived his hanging.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:23 PM   #385
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
Best season so far. Can't wait to find out how Bodie survived his hanging.
Love this show. Loved his character and would love for him to return, but it's not happening. Unless the season is as bad as most anticipate, and they somehow work it into the season finale to make you return for season 5.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:12 PM   #386
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannigans Law View Post
Season 4 is out october 2nd. I can't flipping wait. Hopefully they don't wait until half the season is done to get good this time.
really hoping they take the chance to reboot it now without Brody in to a complete spy type show

they had a lot of nods to Le Carre's stuff last year, if thats what the show became full time I think it can get back to season 1 levels
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2014, 04:12 PM   #387
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like critics are liking season 4 so far.

Quote:
...the producers of Homeland looked at each other and said, “Now whatta we do? Carrie’s preggers. Saul’s at the wailing wall he calls his marriage. And according to Twitter, if we bring back Dana for any more sullen temper-tantrum scenes, our offices are going to be degraded and destroyed quicker than an al Qaeda compound.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/rev...-review-736021
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:35 PM   #388
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've enjoyed Homeland all the way through so far - I never felt the series hinged on Brody, I always thought the CIA piece of it was much important and I'm glad they're going that route.

Real shame to hear about the passing of James Rebhorn too - it's secondary actors like him that never get the fanfare but you see him in everything.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:06 PM   #389
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice start to the season tonight. Wide open,
Old 10-05-2014, 11:40 PM   #390
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great great start. Hopefully this is back on the rails towards what this show could have been without the Brody anchor after season 1.

Looking forward to the rest of the season.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:59 AM   #391
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I loved watching
Spoiler!
Old 10-06-2014, 09:59 PM   #392
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got zero enjoyment out of the first two episodes.

The main reason is that I've really come to loathe Carrie. Emotionally damaged, face scrunchy Carrie. Now throw in emotionally damaged, face scrunchy Quinn, a comically corrupt CIA chief right out of the worst seasons of 24, and a Pakistani kid who couldn't act surprised if he woke up and found his balls sewn onto his forehead.

Not much hope for this season.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:14 PM   #393
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

damn. That's too bad. I find it way better than the Romeo and Juliet they were tossing out for the last two seasons.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:42 PM   #394
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

To be honest, I was no big fan of much of last season either.

But to each their own. If you enjoy it, bully for you.

And I'll keep watching in hope that it picks up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
I loved watching
Spoiler!
I'll second that. The more Saul, the better, IMO.

Last edited by Mike F; 10-06-2014 at 10:44 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:09 PM   #395
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
Not much hope for this season.
Homeland is best when they do Homeland... not when they try to be something else, and an emotionally damaged Carrie is the crux of Homeland.

This is a show that beat Boardwalk Empire, Breaking Bad, Downton Abbey, Game of Thrones, and Mad Men to win best drama in 2012 and through only three episodes I see that potential here as well.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2014, 03:00 PM   #396
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's definitely at season 1 levels for me right now. Which is great, because it was really off the rails for seasons 2 and 3.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:03 PM   #397
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
It's definitely at season 1 levels for me right now. Which is great, because it was really off the rails for seasons 2 and 3.
Yeah, I agree. Brodie's character was great in the first season, but I got really sick of how they tried to force him into the second and third seasons. Killing him off has really seemed to let this show go in a better direction.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 03:04 PM   #398
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well they diverged from their plan to appease fans who liked Brody and Carrie's chemistry. That's just never a good idea or you turn into LOST ... a rudderless mess.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:22 PM   #399
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Homeland is best when they do Homeland... not when they try to be something else, and an emotionally damaged Carrie is the crux of Homeland.

This is a show that beat Boardwalk Empire, Breaking Bad, Downton Abbey, Game of Thrones, and Mad Men to win best drama in 2012 and through only three episodes I see that potential here as well.
Homeland is at its best when a smart, tense, espionage thriller. Bomb-strapped Brodie orchestrating his entry into a secure room with the vice-president then having to wrestle with his cultivated hatred vs. his love for his daughter and desire to protect her love for him was Homeland at its best. Emotionally damaged Carrie making her scrunchie face into a tight camera shot is a tired cliché to be pitched to Emmy voters.

Homeland won best drama because it added a fresh, gripping plot to some impressive emotional acting by Claire Danes. Unfortunately, IMO, Claire Danes scrunchie face has been trotted out a few dozen times too many, the gripping plot has yet to emerge, and the Brody character, which was complex and fresh (yes, that word again), has been replaced by a Quinn that's been turned into a male Carrie.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:36 AM   #400
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I continue to watch but this show is garbage now.