Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2024, 03:40 PM   #381
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

We'll have built a new convention centre and arena before that bridge is done.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 04:14 PM   #382
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

It's the stupid double merge at the exact same location that bottlenecks that bridge. They should just close off the McKenzie Lake Blvd merge until the construction is done. Who cares about McKenzie Lake?
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 10:04 PM   #383
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haven't talked about it much but the ongoing Deerfoot project is pretty massive, especially from Douglasdale up to IKEA-ish. Should really help traffic flow through there significantly better.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 11:09 PM   #384
morgin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It’s been a few years now and the changes to the intersection at 24th and crowchild are still insane. Heading WB on 24th backs up to 19th now. There is no way this is better than how it was before where there was no right turn light. there are too many lanes, and not enough room for them all with the dual bike lanes and that church retaining wall.
morgin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to morgin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2024, 08:15 AM   #385
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Just absolutely horrific city planning there. You know what else has to go through that already absurd intersection? LRT extension!
I selfishly kept hoping that LRT project who just get delayed forever. I can walk to Saddletowne station and it's nice being the end of the line (always get a seat heading in and don't have to pay attention to stations coming home).

I figured the nightmare that is Airport Trail/60 Street and the weirdness that is 60 Street / 88 Avenue was a temporary thing and at least that would be fixed once the LRT was extended. Now you've got me worried!

Also, it seems weird that they are putting a station at 88 Avenue (at least I think that's the plan). That is so close to Saddletowne.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 12:29 PM   #386
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Also, it seems weird that they are putting a station at 88 Avenue (at least I think that's the plan). That is so close to Saddletowne.
The 88 Av station is needed for a future airport connector and is also supposed to save a little operating cost by reducing the number of feeder buses.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 12:04 PM   #387
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I selfishly kept hoping that LRT project who just get delayed forever. I can walk to Saddletowne station and it's nice being the end of the line (always get a seat heading in and don't have to pay attention to stations coming home).

I figured the nightmare that is Airport Trail/60 Street and the weirdness that is 60 Street / 88 Avenue was a temporary thing and at least that would be fixed once the LRT was extended. Now you've got me worried!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
The 88 Av station is needed for a future airport connector and is also supposed to save a little operating cost by reducing the number of feeder buses.
The 88th Ave station was always going to be the more major park and ride station as well. Could even get a mini parkade.

Saddletwone doesn't have a lot of parking - and the future stations to the north don't have much room for park and ride.
Old 05-21-2024, 12:09 PM   #388
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Just absolutely horrific city planning there. You know what else has to go through that already absurd intersection? LRT extension!
This is what happens when there is 3 miles between Stoney road connections.

60th Street needs to be twinned, ASAP.
Old 05-21-2024, 12:15 PM   #389
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

In other Calgary Roads news - there is now the first RFP out related to the 6th St underpass of the CPKC tracks - near the new event centre.

Targeted construction time time is Q2 2025 start - and Q3 2027 completion.
Old 05-21-2024, 12:23 PM   #390
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
In other Calgary Roads news - there is now the first RFP out related to the 6th St underpass of the CPKC tracks - near the new event centre.

Targeted construction time time is Q2 2025 start - and Q3 2027 completion.
CP group buy? What do you suppose the clay content is down there?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 02:11 PM   #391
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, the roads are in horrific condition. It's bad in a bunch of places but it's like driving on the moon in the NE running an errand this morning. 36th Street is hilarious here, people slamming the breaks to try to make it through at 10 kmph.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.0705...8192?entry=ttu
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 02:24 PM   #392
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

After driving in Montreal, our streets are in excellent shape.
Old 05-21-2024, 05:46 PM   #393
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Man, the roads are in horrific condition. It's bad in a bunch of places but it's like driving on the moon in the NE running an errand this morning. 36th Street is hilarious here, people slamming the breaks to try to make it through at 10 kmph.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.0705...8192?entry=ttu
I was in that area a couple of weeks ago and was shocked at how bad it was.
Old 05-21-2024, 06:25 PM   #394
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
After driving in Montreal, our streets are in excellent shape.
And we can fix them without involving the mafia, which is nice
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 07:27 PM   #395
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgin View Post
It’s been a few years now and the changes to the intersection at 24th and crowchild are still insane. Heading WB on 24th backs up to 19th now. There is no way this is better than how it was before where there was no right turn light. there are too many lanes, and not enough room for them all with the dual bike lanes and that church retaining wall.
I drove through there the other day for the first time in quite a few years and never ever again. I'll go back to getting on Crowchild from Memorial, 5th Ave or 16th. My god, that double no right on red is the dumbest thing in history.

Not only is traffic that's trying to turn right backed up, but the back up in the inside right turn lane blocks ends up blocking the through traffic.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 08:11 PM   #396
morgin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
I drove through there the other day for the first time in quite a few years and never ever again. I'll go back to getting on Crowchild from Memorial, 5th Ave or 16th. My god, that double no right on red is the dumbest thing in history.

Not only is traffic that's trying to turn right backed up, but the back up in the inside right turn lane blocks ends up blocking the through traffic.
Left lane turn traffic also blocks through traffic. I can’t describe it properly, but the timings are all off so the right turn light seems to go before the people wanting to turn right can physically get to the turn lanes, since they are blocked by people turning left and going straight.

It’s seriously an insane design.
morgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 12:28 PM   #397
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now that the West ring road is done and the bridge over the Bow is done does anyone know if there are any plans to eliminate the 80 km/h zone south of Nose Hill Drive?
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 12:47 PM   #398
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Now that the West ring road is done and the bridge over the Bow is done does anyone know if there are any plans to eliminate the 80 km/h zone south of Nose Hill Drive?
It wouldn't be a Calgary road if the speed limit didn't change every so often.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 08:06 AM   #399
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Given how often I see speed traps there, I assume never.

Last edited by bizaro86; 05-26-2024 at 08:25 AM.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 08:20 AM   #400
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
They need to build up the pavement to the level of the bridge deck, as there is a "bump" there currently. I saw someone damage their trailer there. I had expected they would be working on it this spring, but maybe they decided the 80 zone was the permanent fix?

Last edited by Nancy; 05-26-2024 at 08:22 AM.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote