Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2010, 10:48 AM   #21
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

You can add it on any time during the first year. Don't worry about the price, Apple's education pricing is year-round. The only thing special about the "back-to-school" time is the free iPod.

...but yes, I'd get it. Apple is the only place I can think of, where you do actually get your money's worth. Face-to-face tech support, phone support with someone who speaks English, replacements, etc etc etc. Also AppleCare extends to Apple peripherals your Mac connects to, like an Airport Extreme, etc. And it covers Apple software too. Can't figure out how to format that table in Pages? Call AppleCare. OS acting strange? Call AppleCare.

http://www.apple.com/support/products/mac.html

Last edited by FanIn80; 05-27-2010 at 10:52 AM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:50 AM   #22
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
You can add it on any time during the first year. Don't worry about the price, Apple's education pricing is year-round. The only thing special about the "back-to-school" time is the free iPod.

...but yes, I'd get it. Apple is the only place I can think of, where you do actually get your money's worth. Face-to-face tech support, phone support with someone who speaks English, replacements, etc etc etc. Also AppleCare extends to everything your Mac connects to, like an Airport Extreme, etc. And it covers Apple software too. Can't figure out how to format that table in Pages? Call AppleCare. OS acting strange? Call AppleCare.
Tell me, do you ever call up AppleCare and get them to talk Apple to you so that you can finally come to a finish?
GreenTeaFrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenTeaFrapp For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2010, 10:50 AM   #23
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

...but yes, I'd get it. Apple is the only place I can think of, where you do actually get your money's worth. Face-to-face tech support, phone support with someone who speaks English, replacements, etc etc etc. Also AppleCare extends to everything your Mac connects to, like an Airport Extreme, etc. And it covers Apple software too. Can't figure out how to format that table in Pages? Call AppleCare. OS acting strange? Call AppleCare.
Thanks really interesting thanks! I also read up somewhere you can buy Applecare for a lot cheaper online like Ebay or amazon, would you recommend that route?

From Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.ca/AppleCare-Protect...item335d73fdc6

It's only $180 for Applecare for 2 years. How can this guy sell it for so cheap?

Last edited by wooohooo; 05-27-2010 at 10:53 AM.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:55 AM   #24
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooohooo View Post
Thanks really interesting thanks! I also read up somewhere you can buy Applecare for a lot cheaper online like Ebay or amazon, would you recommend that route?

From Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.ca/AppleCare-Protect...item335d73fdc6

It's only $180 for Applecare for 2 years. How can this guy sell it for so cheap?
I'm not sure about that. I haven't looked into the validity of those sales before. I guess standard rules would apply. Check their feedback and return policies, and make sure you verify the product number against the Apple website.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:11 AM   #25
Leon
First Line Centre

Exp:

I can't believe how expensive some of these laptops are.

Not to institute a pissing match or anything, but wow. It's going to take a lot more than an iTouch on the side for me to empty my wallet on one of those things.

Get something comparable from memoryexpress for half the price.

''The Phaneuf - Regehr pairing reminds me a lot of when I'm having sex with a new partner'' -malcomk14
''Not only is he a good player, but I enjoy his company'' -Pierre Mcguire on Phaneuf

"I'm only watching now for the chance to see brief close-ups of White's moustache." - rockstar
</br>
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:28 AM   #26
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by noel View Post

Not to institute a pissing match or anything, but wow. It's going to take a lot more than an iTouch on the side for me to empty my wallet on one of those things.

I'm the furthest thing from an Apple fanboi but I just bought a 13" MBP because there is nothing that comparable at the same price much less half the price. There isn't a competitor that matches the quality of the keyboard, touchpad, screen, power, build quality and battery life of what I purchased because if there was, I would have bought it instead.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:41 PM   #27
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Exactly what GTP said... but the biggest part for me was the 10 hour battery life. I can barely get 4 out of my current laptop so that means for a full day of class I need to bring my charger around. But 10 hours... that's phenomenal, I know it won't be 10 hours, maybe even 6 or 7... but if that means I don't have to plug in everytimee, it's worth it for me.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:43 PM   #28
Leon
First Line Centre

Exp:

The comparably priced non-mac laptops had roughly the same battery life, around 7 hours I believe.

''The Phaneuf - Regehr pairing reminds me a lot of when I'm having sex with a new partner'' -malcomk14
''Not only is he a good player, but I enjoy his company'' -Pierre Mcguire on Phaneuf

"I'm only watching now for the chance to see brief close-ups of White's moustache." - rockstar
</br>
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:57 PM   #29
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
The comparably priced non-mac laptops had roughly the same battery life, around 7 hours I believe.
And they'd have the less powerful CULV processors with inferior displays, non-backlit keyboards, and inferior track pads.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:17 PM   #30
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Also, 7 hours is 3 hours less than 10 hours.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:37 PM   #31
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I compared the i7 Hp envy in pricing to the i7 Macbook Pro. Good or bad comparision in terms of value per dollar? Also, with that comparision, the Macbook pro was a bit more expensive, but not that much.
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:48 PM   #32
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have heard horrible reviews from the HP envy. I hate HP, I have never had a good laptop from them. They give you good bang for your buck but when the thing dies in a year it's more expensive. The track pad I heard is horrible, and heats up pretty bad. A base HP envy to a base MBP, MBP is cheaper and is way better. I am not even a Apple fan boy. In fact I've stayed away from them until now. They are just truly superb machines.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:54 PM   #33
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah. I am super excited for my laptop to come. Apple is taking too long :P
Old 05-27-2010, 10:01 PM   #34
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentsim View Post
Yeah. I am super excited for my laptop to come. Apple is taking too long :P
bahahaa. I just went in store today and got my very first mac book!!!
Old 05-27-2010, 10:03 PM   #35
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Congrats.

I am on my 3rd (I hand me down it to my siblings so I can upgrade usually )
Old 05-27-2010, 10:24 PM   #36
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentsim View Post
Congrats.

I am on my 3rd (I hand me down it to my siblings so I can upgrade usually )
You can hand me down your old laptops any time you run out of siblings
Old 05-27-2010, 10:36 PM   #37
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Awesome! Congrats, man. Don't forget to follow up and let us know your impressions in a week or so. I'm always interested in hearing what people think of their new Macs after the newness wears off.

Also, there is a ton of info in this forum that should help figuring some things out. Don't let people here scare you out of creating a new thread (or bumping an old one) if you need help with anything.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:01 AM   #38
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

my laptop arrives monday...just got the tracking #

My iPod arrives Monday too..

Blah, i will be at work. Wish i got them shipped to the office.

Guess I won't be able to get them till Tuesday then (have to get UPS to redirect them for me )

I will post a video of the bootup time of a i7 SSD to a 5400RPM C2D pre unibody lol, should be interesting.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:07 AM   #39
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Haha nice. What's even more awesome, is you'll be able to shoot that video right from the desktop, out of the box. No third-party crap shareware screen cast software for you!
Old 05-28-2010, 12:08 AM   #40
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Haha nice. What's even more awesome, is you'll be able to shoot that video right from the desktop, out of the box. No third-party crap shareware screen cast software for you!
orly?

I was gonna use a camera with the two laptop's side by side since its bootup, but i could use iSight at 2 different times