Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2010, 11:20 AM   #21
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-fart View Post
Seems to me like this is a "holy crap look at Nintendo sales, we need to bite into that" type move. While on one hand I think they are right, you'd like to think that in roughly 2 years since the Wii came out Sony would have done something different/special/cool, instead of just putting a glowing ball thing on the end of the controller that looks exceedingly similar to the Wii thing.

Microsoft on the other hand is going out on a limb with Natal. That looks cool. Don't know that it will make all games better or different, but at least it is completely different that the Wii. If it works as cool as it looks, it will certainly make some games much more fun.
Oh it absolutely is. Both MS and Sony are just reacting to the Wii's stranglehold on motion gaming. While it would be cool to see them try something innovative, Sony has been in wound licking mode since the launch. The ps3 is a great system, but they've had to be focused on more important areas such as getting their cost down and working with developers. I'm not surprised to just see wiimote 2.0 out of them ... I would expect this is a feeling out time to see if they can successfully grab the attention of the ps3 audience. If they do I bet we'll see something much more innovative for ps4 (c'mon powerglove).
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:07 PM   #22
old-fart
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Oh it absolutely is. Both MS and Sony are just reacting to the Wii's stranglehold on motion gaming. While it would be cool to see them try something innovative, Sony has been in wound licking mode since the launch. The ps3 is a great system, but they've had to be focused on more important areas such as getting their cost down and working with developers. I'm not surprised to just see wiimote 2.0 out of them ... I would expect this is a feeling out time to see if they can successfully grab the attention of the ps3 audience. If they do I bet we'll see something much more innovative for ps4 (c'mon powerglove).
Ya, I agree. Had to do something and this was the "easiest" thing to do that they believe will keep their existing base.

I looked at the Sony Move thing and thought "meh, kinda cool" but since I already own an Xbox 360 and a Wii for the kids, I don't think it is enough of a "cool" factor for me to go drop the dough on a PS3, 4 of the pleasure orbs, and a bunch of game. If I already had a PS3, I probably would depending on the coolness of the games.

Now the Xbox Natal though... again, since I already own a 360, depending on price, I'll picking up the Natal for the coolness factor alone.
old-fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:34 PM   #23
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-fart View Post
Ya, I agree. Had to do something and this was the "easiest" thing to do that they believe will keep their existing base.

I looked at the Sony Move thing and thought "meh, kinda cool" but since I already own an Xbox 360 and a Wii for the kids, I don't think it is enough of a "cool" factor for me to go drop the dough on a PS3, 4 of the pleasure orbs, and a bunch of game. If I already had a PS3, I probably would depending on the coolness of the games.

Now the Xbox Natal though... again, since I already own a 360, depending on price, I'll picking up the Natal for the coolness factor alone.
Ya I certainly wouldn't see this as a system seller. Like you said, something to pick up for your system of choice, but I don't think I'd buy a whole new console just for it. What I like about Natal and Move is that it should be relatively affordable to purchase. The wii on the other hand (while priced low) was deceptively expensive once you started buying the accessories.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:59 PM   #24
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
I've always agreed with this. I have a friend who's just over the moon for the idea of controlling his movies using gestures. While it seems very cool in theory I can't help but wonder who you can accurately do all the things a controller can do. I also wonder if it will be able to distinguish generic moves from deliberate ones. If I emphatically reach for popcorn will it skip a chapter?

If it worked it would be very cool, but much like using a wiimote to "swing" Link's sword in zelda, is it really just taking something as simple as a button press and making it needlessly complicated?

Something that the makers of Red Steel on the Wii said has made a lot of sense to me. It's great that Microsoft is trying to be innovative (I adore ballsy moves like Natal), how in the sweet hell would a first person shooter work on it? You could move on rails I suppose, but beyond that I see no way to move forward without a controller peripheral.
Well, I agree with your assessment on the Zelda game, but that's mostly because it's a port or translation from another system. And those are the Wii games you wanna stay away from. The ones that are Wii specific, really use much better use of the controllers, especially with the new motion plus.

However, it (motion capture) may work better as an add on with the PS3 cause then you can use the Move add on for games it's really meant for, and just a regular controller for all the other ones.

The Natal move is a really ballsy one, I have to agree with that, but those types of interactivity features are years away, not months, and MS is shooting too high again an will continue to lose the platform war. They are going to come out with a totally scaled down version of what they are showing, that will still probably be late to release anyway, and people are going to be very disappointed after all the hype.

Actually some of the most interesting features to me were the networking ones, which really do make a lot of sense. But some of the extras they were showing for it (like the girls trying on dresses) are just not possible yet.

And the whole scan feature looked silly (and too far in the future as well) especially considering they weren't even using the items they were scanning in to play the game. It just made a graphical representation of them on the screen.

Game wise it would be cool for fighting games and most sports games, but I can see it being harder, or more pointless for a lot of other games. The whole racing thing look sad to tell you the truth.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daradon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2010, 04:12 PM   #25
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess different tastes for different people, but I dont' see how a fighting game or a sports game would be that fun on Natal. If I wanted physicall exertion while playing a video game, I'd probably just go do the sport for real. I think the novelty of that will wear off pretty quick.

I keep thinking of the Nintendo Power Glove when looking at Natal in that it might be a good idea, but the technology is not going to let them do what they want it to.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:21 PM   #26
Human Torch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Motion controls should be standard now and good on nintendo for finally making it mainstream. I know a lot of casual and pc gamers that have problems aiming with the right analog stick in 3rd and 1st person shooters(I even use inverted y axis which makes them think I'm insane). This pointing thing makes it more mouse like and easier to understand and now there's no more need for the fragfx. The makers of SOCOM 4 are already saying in test runs the dualshock users are getting destroyed by the move users.

And while I am looking forward to natal I'm starting to have some doubts. I'm not sure it will be as accurate as I want it to be. Much like my experience with the wii before they introduced motion +.
Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:27 PM   #27
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I guess different tastes for different people, but I dont' see how a fighting game or a sports game would be that fun on Natal. If I wanted physicall exertion while playing a video game, I'd probably just go do the sport for real. I think the novelty of that will wear off pretty quick.

I keep thinking of the Nintendo Power Glove when looking at Natal in that it might be a good idea, but the technology is not going to let them do what they want it to.
Well it all depends on what the sport/game is I guess.

I remember when they released that motion sensitive cop/shooter game in arcades. I loved playing that. It's not something you'd be able to do in real life. Unless maybe paintball, but still it's different, and it's way easier to play a video game then get a bunch of people together for some paintball.

As well there was a boxing game that was fun. It'd be hard for me to just jump in the ring with anyone.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:59 PM   #28
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
Well, I agree with your assessment on the Zelda game, but that's mostly because it's a port or translation from another system. And those are the Wii games you wanna stay away from.
Wasn't the wii version out first, and then ported to the GC?
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:05 PM   #29
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Wasn't the wii version out first, and then ported to the GC?
I think it was the other way around. Especially since GC is the older system.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:41 PM   #30
old-fart
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post

That's exactly what my 24ish year old nephew said when I was talking to him about it yesterday. "I pickup a controller to play video games because I'm a lazy and want to sit on the couch - if I wanted to actually sweat I'd play the real sport." Certainly a valid point, and I do agree it will be a novelty thing. Be interesting to see where Natal comes in price wise. 360 arcade is on-sale right now for, I think, $119. If this accessory is going to come in at $300 or something outrageous, I'm not sure it will be worth it.
old-fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:52 PM   #31
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Pretty sure natal and move are aiming for the $100-$150 price point.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:37 PM   #32
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
I think it was the other way around. Especially since GC is the older system.
Wii version was released Nov 19 with the Wii. GC version game out late Dec.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:20 PM   #33
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Instead of making ######ed stuff like this maybe Sony should concentrate on getting more systems out first. How is that there is a PS3 shortage in the United States? Its been going on for well over 2 months and is just simply ridiculous. I dont know if I actually think its ridiculous of if I am just pissed because a PS3 was supposed to be my Birthday present a month ago and I still havent got it. COMPLETE AND UTTER BULL!
Old 03-16-2010, 06:18 PM   #34
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know this is not an XBOX thread (don't have it anyway), but did anyone catch the Chuck Norris reference in the Natal video? How dumb is that. I can picture the biggest geek in the room laughing their ass off over that stupid played out joke that wasn't funny to begin with. I won't be buying the XBOX simply because of that line. Ugrh.
bluejays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:49 PM   #35
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Wii version was released Nov 19 with the Wii. GC version game out late Dec.
I believe the game was initially developed for the gamecube, but potted over to the wii when it got to be close to the wii launch.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:27 AM   #36
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Pretty sure natal and move are aiming for the $100-$150 price point.
Yeah, move is confirmed to be around $100

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ps...named-detailed

Quote:
we've been told that the Move controller, PlayStation Eye camera and a starter disc with game demos will be bundled for under $100 this autumn.
I probably won't get it unless something comes out that really catches my eye.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:09 AM   #37
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

My guess is seeing that the eye retails for $40 that the move controllers will be in the price range of the wiimotes ($50).
Old 03-17-2010, 04:31 PM   #38
Human Torch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

oh geez shots fired lol
Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:34 PM   #39
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
I believe the game was initially developed for the gamecube, but potted over to the wii when it got to be close to the wii launch.
Yeah, I was just going to mention this.

Either way it was developed for the GC and really just brought onto the Wii, not taking full advantage of it's controllers.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:18 PM   #40
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone pick this up?

I traded in a few games and got this and a controller for $40.

I'm actually really impressed. It's miles ahead of the Wii in terms of technology; I've only played the Sport Champions game, but it's a blast so far. I really want to play through Heavy Rain again with the move controller patch.

Well worth the money; will be even more so when additional games come out.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gaming , move , natal , ps3 , wii