Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2009, 01:05 AM   #21
Dirty Mr. Clean
First Line Centre

Exp:

Shaw has added PowerBoost to the high speed package.
Dirty Mr. Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:08 AM   #22
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Mr. Clean View Post
Shaw has added PowerBoost to the high speed package.
Which is still only supposed to be an extra 5 Mbps, no?
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:38 AM   #23
Flame12
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I work for Telus but have yet to sell any Turbo mainily because i sell TV and turbo is currentily not compatible with Telus TV due to bandwidth issues. In some new building Telus has Fibre to the suite and we can do up to 25 Mb/s to those places as well and up to 4 TVs and 2 of those can be HD. The copper wire will have more ability than the current 15 Mb/s in the near future but not sure when those upgrades are happening. But as far as not getting the correct speeds if you call Tech services they may be able to teak the line to get you the porper speeds.
Flame12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:15 AM   #24
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
See, that upload rate is consistent with what every Telus user should see. Unfortunately, those that jumped on the new premium plan are getting the shaft.
I have actually found that my u/l speed has been consistently in the 0.7-0.8 range of late. Two speedtests this AM:

I rarely upload, but it's the fact that I'm consistently getting 1/3 or less of my advertised d/l speed that has annoyed me.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:49 AM   #25
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
I have actually found that my u/l speed has been consistently in the 0.7-0.8 range of late. Two speedtests this AM:

I rarely upload, but it's the fact that I'm consistently getting 1/3 or less of my advertised d/l speed that has annoyed me.
Interesting, those numbers are much improved over what you had initially, maybe they are working on the issue.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:06 PM   #26
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I've got them sending a tech tomorrow between 11:00 AM and noon to come and check things out. I get the advertised speed on occasion, intermittently get a speed of about 75-80% of advertised, and often get a speed <25% of advertised.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:35 PM   #27
NHL009
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I worked at TELUS for 1 year and just recently left to open my own business.The call centre is an absolute JOKE when it comes to the systems unless they fixed the,. It's not the employees themselves that are the problem.

Training is o.k.. It's 4-5 weeks, but it's so broad. They just throw you on the floor and you learn as you go. The one and only problem IMO with TELUS customer service are the systems. That screws everything up.

That's where these appointment times get screwed up. They don't flow over to the main dispatch centre. As a sales rep, you usually don't even know something went wrong until the day before and then it's too late to book somebody out the next day.

ALWAYS java errors, etc. Orders are so hard to complete half the time because the system never finishes it without an error. Half the time the error is gone, the customers appointment time they wanted is gone as well. It was so frustrating.

The pay is really good, but until they get their systems in check, it's always going to be a mess.

Last edited by NHL009; 03-06-2009 at 10:45 PM.
NHL009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:37 PM   #28
NHL009
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If anybody wants any tips, pointers about getting good pricing, etc, just give me a PM or I'll just write them here.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:38 PM   #29
NHL009
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
I've got them sending a tech tomorrow between 11:00 AM and noon to come and check things out. I get the advertised speed on occasion, intermittently get a speed of about 75-80% of advertised, and often get a speed <25% of advertised.
Honestly, most of the time you won't get that exact time frame. Here is what you do for anybody who has an appointment.

2 days before the appointment, your order should show in a system we called AWAS. That's essentially the dispatch system that will show if your order has been processed.

2 days before or the night before, call and make sure. Give them your phone number and ask themt o check their system to make sure that a technician will be dispatched. If they see nothing the order got screwed up.

Appointment times are always 8am, 10am, 12, 2pm, 4 pm. That's the only thing that shows up in the system and they give you a 2 hour window, so an 8am could be 8-10. If you every want TELUS TV, I found that we were always so backed up. People would usually wait a good week and a half or 2 weeks. Always call early.
The Following User Says Thank You to NHL009 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2009, 10:41 PM   #30
NHL009
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
If Telus didnt require you to have a home phone, I would switch from shaw in an instant.
You don't need a home phone to have Internet with TELUS. You just say you don't need a phone line. It's called "Dark DSL" or "Internet No Local".
Old 03-06-2009, 10:43 PM   #31
NHL009
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
The tech hasn't come to my house today as of yet, but when I woke up this morning, it appears that I already have Turbo. Consistent 13 megabit speeds, which is great. My IP address moved to a different subnet as well, so they have made a change on the Telus side already.

On a side note, I'm not sure why Shaw users have to venture into every Telus thread. There are advantages and disadvantages to both services, and even the experience/performance you get seems to vary within the city.

I will grant Shaw users that yes, when their service is humming along, it can be a lot faster, but on average, in my neighborhood, it was not. Telus at 6mbps consistently outperformed Shaw at 10 or 11 (whichever their high end package was 2 years ago), and overall reliability has been much higher as well.
I had no problems with either service. I had TELUS and SHAW at one time before. SOmetimes a rep will say you need a field visit (A Tech come out), but sometimes they are careless. It sounds like all you needed was "Rack Work" where the tech just goes to the Central Office.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:25 PM   #32
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Thanks for all of the great tips on the appointments, thet are greatly appreciated.

Today's tech showed up with minutes of 11:00 AM. Two hours later, he left without being able to solve the problem. In general we tried:
  • Switching my 2Wire gateway with another 2Wire gateway
  • Connecting wirelessly to the new gateway with both my PC and his laptop
  • Connecting via ethernet from the gateway to his laptop
  • Trying a new Siemens wireless gateway (all kinds of connectivity and registration issues on Telus' end)
What today's tech visit clarified with 100% certainty is that this issue has nothing to do with any of the wiring in my house. I'm apparently about 100 meters or so from where the DSL2 switch is in the community, and no slowdown problems showed up in any of the wiring from the switch to the house to his laptop when a wired connection was used - he was consistenly getting 12-13 Mbps. (Interestingly, he said that my line could go as high as 30 Mbps on DSL2, but the service is capped at 15 by Telus currently).

When the wireless internet slowed down on the 2Wire again after the tech left, I called Telus' tech support again to at least register that the problem is continuing. After a frustrating call with a tech who helped me set-up the Siemens gateway but couldn't get the wirelesss connection to work, Telus is sending me a new Siemens next week. After getting off the phone with the tech (and blasting him in the feedback survey), I managed to get the wireless connection using the Siemens gateway I already have running.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but so far the Siemens wireless signal has been much more reliable and consistenly gives a high d/l and u/l speed using the speed tests. Using the Telus FTP site, I'm consistently getting d/l speeds in thr 12-13 Mbps range. And testing using speedtest.net and various servers around NA, I have still averaged 11.3 Mbps d/l and 0.72 u/l over 7 tests.

So this might be resovled...*crosses fingers AND toes*. If it does, it will then be time to use a winback number and see what Telus can do for me...
Old 03-08-2009, 12:52 PM   #33
NHL009
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Anybody who calls TELUS should say their with Shaw at the moment, whether it's for a phone line, internet, or tv.

Every employee has "WINBACK" plans set aside. I always used to give people 3 months of everything they signed up for free.

If anybody only uses a phone line and thinks it's too much, TELUS has a backdoor offer of $20.95/month for a line, 1 calling feature, and 4 cents/min in NA long distance.

Can you actually believe TELUS has special lower rate plans for Asian people? That shocked the hell out of me.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:40 PM   #34
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I spoke to Telus and got a $60 credit on my account for my troubles.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:49 PM   #35
NHL009
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That's great!

Tags
high-speed , internet , telus