Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2021, 10:14 PM   #21
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I’m sure the decision was “he ain’t making it through a start without getting yanked... let’s put him in the 3rd and let him finish on the ice”
I was at the game. My memory is that Brian Sutter didn’t put him in until there was just a few minutes left in the game, and the crowd started chanting for it.

Edit: Never mind just got around to watching the video. I guess my memory was wrong!

Last edited by FanIn80; 02-08-2021 at 10:19 PM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 10:29 PM   #22
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I was at the game. My memory is that Brian Sutter didn’t put him in until there was just a few minutes left in the game, and the crowd started chanting for it.

Edit: Never mind just got around to watching the video. I guess my memory was wrong!
No doubt due to the beer intake to get through that mess!
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 10:52 PM   #23
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

It’s total garbage that he’s been in the Hall of Fame for almost 2 decades and Vernon is
rarely mentioned.

Now with Lowe going in, so should McCrimmon. Their stats are similar and Brad didn’t play with Gretzky.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:05 PM   #24
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
And some don't understand the negative associations with the horse head jersey...
Children maybe. Everyone else understands, they just don’t care. They realize that it’s just a jersey. A very nice looking jersey.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:21 PM   #25
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

My brother and I used to get the company seats in that era for every pre-season game (nobody else wanted those tickets).We used to enjoy going to see the young guys and prospects play, and it was also fun because the players who weren't playing (usually half the regulars) would walk around the concourse with the public, so we would actually walk right up to them to converse and get autographs. Even players travelling with the opposing teams would just be walking around. This was possible due to the fact that only 3,000 to 5,000 fans would attend.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 01:30 AM   #26
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I was there. It was dumb that Fuhr didn't get the start. It was a nothing game, and there was no reason why he should not have been in there at the start.
As was I and I played golf with Fuhr later that summer and asked him about not starting, he grinned and said: "Good thing I didn't, we would have lost 9-3" and I would have been boo'ed out of Calgary
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2021, 02:55 AM   #27
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
I remember my dad couldn't give away free lower bowl tickets to the Flames from his work during the dark years so we went instead for a bunch of games. I wish I still had that scrapbook of the ticket stubs but alas it was claimed by the floods.

Same goes for the Stampeders haha.
I don't really remember the Stampeders like that but certainly the Flames and the Cannons. I think our school had some type of reading day where you got a free set of tickets to either the Flames or Cannons if you read a book that month or something easy like that. And once they handed them all out to students who wanted them our principal went on the intercom and pretty much begged people to come and take some more. Literally hundreds of tickets to the Flames just waiting at the office for people to grab for free.

They weren't lower bowl, but second bowl, and once we got to the game they just let us go lower bowl anyways.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 03:01 AM   #28
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I once used a urinal beside Fuhr in Mandalay Bay, in Las Vegas. I noticed it was him when we were washing our hands, once again side by side. Knowing it would be way too awkward to ask for a pic while we were in a men's room, I waited outside. When he came out, however, he made a quick left to join up with his entourage, which included, of all people-Johnny Damon....
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 03:28 AM   #29
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And some don't understand the negative associations with the horse head jersey...
I didn't have a chance to post in the game thread the other day, but watching that the team play in that jersey sent some chills down my spine.

And created some confusing automatic associations... On the blueline I kept seeing Boughner (#6), Buzek (#8), and Smith (#55). And I kept getting stressed that Regehr (#28) was leaving his defence position.

As for Fuhr's last game in 2000, didn't we proceed to acquire Vernon shortly thereafter? Man those were crazy times, digging up whoever wouldn't sign elsewhere. And in June that year we hosted the entry draft and there was next to no excitement in the city because everyone was dead to hockey.
Old 02-09-2021, 06:37 AM   #30
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I was there. It was dumb that Fuhr didn't get the start. It was a nothing game, and there was no reason why he should not have been in there at the start.
Yeah I was at that game as well. I think Brian was trying to save him the embarrassment of finishing his career getting torched. Maybe the younger fans can remember how bad Hiller looked in his last season as a Flame where it was evident his NHL career was over. Well Fuhr was even more cooked. It was just sad. To make matters worse Flames management brought in Mike Vernon the next season who was also finished. Pretty dark times for this organization for sure.

Quote:
Those jerseys were the one shining light in a dark time for this organization.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 06:46 AM   #31
loob job
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The trim on the jerseys in that video is awful. To bad it was Mike Minards first win and he kept the puck, would have been nice if Fuhr got it.
loob job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 06:47 AM   #32
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
jeff shantz era, gross

**** you!!!
Old 02-09-2021, 06:58 AM   #33
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loob job View Post
The trim on the jerseys in that video is awful. To bad it was Mike Minards first win and he kept the puck, would have been nice if Fuhr got it.
Well as it turned out it was his only ever NHL game, and out of it he got to take home a winning puck and a Grant Fuhr-autographed stick that said "all the best on a long career".
Old 02-09-2021, 07:20 AM   #34
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus View Post
Well as it turned out it was his only ever NHL game, and out of it he got to take home a winning puck and a Grant Fuhr-autographed stick that said "all the best on a long career".
...as a disgraced pedophile.
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buzzard For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2021, 07:41 AM   #35
BurningSteel
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Those are some impressive records minus the wins in a postseason, lol

• Most assists and points by a goaltender regular season and playoffs combined - 61
  • Holds NHL record for longest undefeated streak by a goaltender in his first NHL season - 23 in 1981–82.
  • Holds NHL record for most assists in a single season by a goaltender - 14 in 1983–84.
  • Shares NHL record for most wins in a single season postseason - 16 in 1988.
  • Holds NHL record for most games played by a goaltender in a single season - 79 in 1995–96.
  • Holds NHL record for most consecutive appearances in a single season by a goaltender - 76 in 1996.
BurningSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:00 AM   #36
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
Who cares. Grant Fuhr is no good.
and yet here you are. lol
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:09 AM   #37
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
The embarrassment I used to feel wearing my Flames jersey on “Jersey Day” at our school... I was Flames fan all the way, but the ridicule and the mockery I used to have to deal with back then.

About the only positive was when a buddy and I each bought $500 nosebleed season tickets for the 01-02 and 02-03 seasons, and were able to sit in the lower bowl for every game (and got to see Iggy’s breakout season). Then the offseason before the 03-04 season, we were like... it’s such a pain to go to the games, plus they’re boring as hell (other than Iggy, the only attraction was seeing the stars on the visiting teams)... so we decided not to renew. Annnnnd of course that was the season of the 04 run

I use to usher there in this era, we were trained to spend most of our time, “ticket checking” to make sure people didn’t move down. Pretty silly, but there would be constant complaints from the few season tickets holders who paid the higher price, and they needed to show that they weren’t turning a blind eye to this.

Pretty strange to think back to when they couldn’t put more than 13,000 fans in the building on a regular basis, compared to now.
Old 02-09-2021, 08:28 AM   #38
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
...as a disgraced pedophile.
I'm sorry, what?

EDIT: GROSS!!!

Quote:
When confronted with police, Minard immediately cooperated, admitting he sent an inappropriate image of himself to the teen, the sheriff's report to court said. "Mike said he knew what he did was wrong and that he got caught up in the excitement and fantasy of it all."

The police first learned of the texts when the mother of a 13-year-old girl went to Waldo County Sheriff's Office in northeastern Maine, reporting her daughter had received inappropriate messages.

According to court reports, provided to the CBC by the Bangor Daily News, the relationship between Minard and the teen started at a game in November 2013 when she tweeted Minard was getting in the way of her photos. Minard direct messaged her through the Portland Pirates Twitter account to apologize. Messages back and forth led to Minard asking for her cellphone number.

Tweets turned into sexting
Text messages soon turned sexual, and the 13-year-old told police she sent suggestive and explicit photos of herself to Minard.

The report filed in court also says while on the team bus heading home from a game, Minard asked the 13-year-old if she wanted to see explicit pictures of him. She told police she replied yes, and Minard sent the photo.

Minard tried twice, but was unsuccessful, to be alone with the 13-year-old, including one attempt to get her to a hotel.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 02-09-2021 at 08:31 AM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:29 AM   #39
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
I don't think people who came to Calgary post 2003/2004 or who are too young to remember prior to that realize how poorly supported the Flames were back then. Literally no one who I grew up with was a Flames fan in those days. Calgary was still hockey crazy like any Canadian city, but in the school yard and in the minor hockey rinks, the kids all were fans of different teams. Everyone who enjoys Flames hockey today need to be very thankful for Jarome Iginla and Darryl Sutter. The people started to come back when Iggy potted 50 and won gold for Team Canada in 2001-2002, and then making the playoffs in 2004 was the moment the franchise was fully revived.
So true. In my junior high years I was ridiculed at school about being a Flames fan (98 - 01). Mostly everybody was a Red Wings or Avs fan. Whenever the Flames were eliminated from playoff contention or lost in embarrassing fashion I'd have the front page of the sports section taped to my locker upon arrival at school.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:30 AM   #40
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I'm sorry, what?
Minard, not Fuhr.

Quote:
Minard previously served on the coaching staff for the AHL's Portland Pirates. He was terminated from the position, after he was arrested and charged for sexual misconduct after it was revealed he and a 13-year-old girl engaged in lewd text messages.[1] On August 29, 2014, Minard was sentenced to two months in prison after pleading no contest to sexual misconduct charges.[2]
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote