Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2016, 10:20 AM   #21
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
Good Riddance. Place was actually really good wheb it opened up, but went downhill real fast.
Absolutely. The first time I went you could Frankenstein yourself a burger and it was awesome. A few months later they abandoned that (I can't imagine it made things efficient) and all the novelty was gone. The last time I went it was $16 for just a burger on a dense, multigrain bun. No business will last last long after that garbage.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Jbo
Old 11-21-2016, 10:29 AM   #22
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
To me Lounge Burger epitomized the worst of the Calgary food scene during the boom times....crappy service, high prices, mediocre food.
Well then "The Still" won't impress either. Was very very underwhelmed.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:02 PM   #23
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
From what I've seen, hipster stuff tends to be a little more recession proof
Naturally. You have a target market which is generally unemployed or underemployed, but still buying whatever you sell.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2016, 09:00 AM   #24
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had been to lounge buger a total of three times - all about 1 year apart, and enjoyed every visit.

perhaps if I had gone more, I may have grown to dislike it or noted how the quality had gone down hill.
Old 11-25-2016, 01:24 PM   #25
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

pfft... talking to the owner/manager? they initially wanted to emulate the Burger Bar by Mandalay Bay, in Vegas -- the only problem is that Lounge Burgers burgers didn't come close. If you can't get a medium or medium rare burger then why bother. Leather is leather and it can't compare, no matter how many toppings you put on it.

Seriously, is it a rule in Canada that you can't sell a Med or Med Rare burger? You just have to hold a temp for a certain amount of time and you get the juiciest burger ever. At home its 150 degrees at 90 secs for me.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 01:47 PM   #26
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post
pfft... talking to the owner/manager? they initially wanted to emulate the Burger Bar by Mandalay Bay, in Vegas -- the only problem is that Lounge Burgers burgers didn't come close. If you can't get a medium or medium rare burger then why bother. Leather is leather and it can't compare, no matter how many toppings you put on it.

Seriously, is it a rule in Canada that you can't sell a Med or Med Rare burger? You just have to hold a temp for a certain amount of time and you get the juiciest burger ever. At home its 150 degrees at 90 secs for me.
Probably has to do with the fact health inspectors would probably put a stop to it relatively quickly. The restaurant would have to be very confident in regards to where they are sourcing their beef and would have to get the blessing of local health inspectors or it's a non-starter in Canada. Frozen patties for sure are a no-go in regards to being cooked medium rare.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 01:56 PM   #27
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post

Go to National, you can order a medium/rare burger there, and toss on the fried egg for extra deliciousness.

I believe the rule for burgers, is that the meat needs to be ground on-site to be allowed to cook it that way. Not sure how true that is, but that's the explanation that was given to me at some point.
MrCallahan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 01:58 PM   #28
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Probably has to do with the fact health inspectors would probably put a stop to it relatively quickly. The restaurant would have to be very confident in regards to where they are sourcing their beef and would have to get the blessing of local health inspectors or it's a non-starter in Canada. Frozen patties for sure are a no-go in regards to being cooked medium rare.
Places that serve med/med-rare patties exist but they are few and far between. The only one I've ever come across was Ayden in Saskatoon. One of the best burgers I have ever had. The meat was sourced from a local farm about 15km outside the city and delivered every few days. I believe it was also ground onsite as well. I think that was the only way they could meet the health requirements.
Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 02:04 PM   #29
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCallahan View Post
and toss on the fried egg for extra deliciousness.
Not for this cowboy
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 02:24 PM   #30
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bucannons in eau claire also does med rare burgers.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2016, 02:55 PM   #31
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Bucannons in eau claire also does med rare burgers.
Yup but they use a quality of meat that means there is no concern.
They also cook it perfectly.
Wonderful burger.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2016, 09:32 AM   #32
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

If you watch Americans on youtube cook burgers you'll quickly wonder how the entire nation is still alive based on what we as Canadians have been told about hamburger safety. Even though I don't believe it's nearly as dangerous as we've been told, there's a psychological barrier there that's hard to overcome for me.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:35 AM   #33
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
To me Lounge Burger epitomized the worst of the Calgary food scene during the boom times....crappy service, high prices, mediocre food.
Gave me nasty food poisoning for Christmas three years back. Went on the 23rd for dinner and was knocked out for Christmas Eve, Christmas and Boxing Day.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:27 PM   #34
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
If you watch Americans on youtube cook burgers you'll quickly wonder how the entire nation is still alive based on what we as Canadians have been told about hamburger safety. Even though I don't believe it's nearly as dangerous as we've been told, there's a psychological barrier there that's hard to overcome for me.
To me it's not even that I may not get sick. It's knowing how ground beef is created and handled. I have nothing against a nice medium rare cut of beef but ground beef is something I would rather be cooked through.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote