Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #21
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

thanks for the offer suzles; however, I think I have made up my mind on the napoleon.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:12 AM   #22
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
So after looking at the usual big box stores, I went to trail and bbq's galore and I think I have mentally settled on this bad boy:

http://www.barbecuesgalore.ca/produc...d-sb-black-ng/

After looking at top quality grills, it is funny how flimsy those q's at the big box stores feel

Anyone else have a Napoleon grill?
That looks very similar to the one I bought last year, except mine has a stainless steel lid. I wanted the colored lid, but the sales guy at BBQ's Galore told me it had a thinner hood which wouldn't retain as much heat as the stainless hood.

I love it with the exception of the rotisserie just because I never use it, and all my smoke escapes out through the holes for it. Also, if I had to do over again, I might have gotten a bigger one. I can only do three slabs of ribs at a time without using the rib holder (which extends grilling time). It would be nice to have a grill big enough to do at least four slabs of ribs, or maybe three slabs and a pork butt at the same time.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #23
TheGrimm
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Have you guys considered a wood pellet grill? I have had propane and natural gas BBQs over the years and while they have their benefits... I won't be going back..

I picked up a Fast Eddy PG1000 and while I am not sure you can get them up here, I know that Western Fresh Air has the MAK Grills which are also pretty bad-ass.

http://www.makgrills.com/

I am not kidding, once you slow cook some brisket or ribs at 225 on a wood BBQ you just can't bring yourself to eat anything cooked in the oven again!

Be warned though, your back yard will smell like a campground year round, you will have neighbors poking their heads over the fence and you have to love the smell of wood smoke because it will permeate your skin and clothes.
TheGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #24
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrimm View Post
Have you guys considered a wood pellet grill? I have had propane and natural gas BBQs over the years and while they have their benefits... I won't be going back..

I picked up a Fast Eddy PG1000 and while I am not sure you can get them up here, I know that Western Fresh Air has the MAK Grills which are also pretty bad-ass.

http://www.makgrills.com/

I am not kidding, once you slow cook some brisket or ribs at 225 on a wood BBQ you just can't bring yourself to eat anything cooked in the oven again!

Be warned though, your back yard will smell like a campground year round, you will have neighbors poking their heads over the fence and you have to love the smell of wood smoke because it will permeate your skin and clothes.
Do you always have to use the pellets? Or can you grill without them? For instance, smoking ribs, pork butt, or brisket is a must. Smoking hamburgers or steak doesn't really appeal to me.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #25
TheGrimm
Scoring Winger

Exp:

You always have to use pellets yea, but if you are firing it up to a higher temperature there is little or no smoke as the wood is burning cleanly (Don't rule out smoking hamburgers, they are yum!). For steaks, my grill has a solid cast iron grate that is open to the fire pot below, with a removable shield, so I can really cook them over direct flame or how I typically do it is put them on the indirect side on low temp for 15 minutes or so, then fire the grill up to sear temp and then move them onto the grill side to sear in some nice grill marks.

The challenge with some of the cheaper wood pellet units such as the lower end Green Mountain or Traegar is that they don't have searing grills or get to a high enough temperature to sear meet, which is crucial for a good steak imo.

Here is a picture to see what I mean:
Spoiler!

Last edited by TheGrimm; 04-08-2013 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Added a picture of the grill
Old 04-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #26
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Have you thought about a kamado grill like the big green egg? A buddy of mine has one, as well as a $8000 Wolf grill. He prefers the Big Green Egg. He smokes ribs on it. He's even cooked a 18 lb turkey on the thing.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:50 AM   #27
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So I went to BBQ's Galore because of all the recommendations here and got myself this grill:

Spoiler!

Broil King 420. Cast Iron body and lid, 4 burners. I pick it up in a week since they didn't have the propane version in stock. I'm excited to get this thing up and running as I will probably be using it 3-4 times per week in the summer.

It is a little over my budget of $500 (this unit is $650), but I thought it's worthwhile to spend the extra $ to get something I will be happy with.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #28
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
So after looking at the usual big box stores, I went to trail and bbq's galore and I think I have mentally settled on this bad boy:

http://www.barbecuesgalore.ca/produc...d-sb-black-ng/

After looking at top quality grills, it is funny how flimsy those q's at the big box stores feel

Anyone else have a Napoleon grill?
Was just in and looking at this one on the weekend. As Burn_Baby_Burn mentioned I just don't know about the rotisserie as I can't imagine using it. I do like that additional half cover along with the double wall hood that helps retain heat...I think that will help a ton for the winter grilling. I didn't see that on the Weber units I looked at.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #29
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Was just in and looking at this one on the weekend. As Burn_Baby_Burn mentioned I just don't know about the rotisserie as I can't imagine using it. I do like that additional half cover along with the double wall hood that helps retain heat...I think that will help a ton for the winter grilling. I didn't see that on the Weber units I looked at.
Don't ignore the rotisserie, they are great for roasts and chicken.

Prime Rib on the rotisserie is fantastic, I can't wait for some good weather to do that.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #30
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
(Don't rule out smoking hamburgers, they are yum!).
While I am sure that burgers are great smoked, there is also something to be said for being able to quickly start up a gas grill and grab a couple of burgers from the freezer. The lazy person in me would never want to fire up something as fancy as your BBQ just to quickly cook a couple of burgers for lunch.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #31
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i have a roto on my current grill and it is nice for chicken, i'd like to try a prime rib on there.

i'll have to get some further insight on the lids of the stainless v colored.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #32
TheGrimm
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
While I am sure that burgers are great smoked, there is also something to be said for being able to quickly start up a gas grill and grab a couple of burgers from the freezer. The lazy person in me would never want to fire up something as fancy as your BBQ just to quickly cook a couple of burgers for lunch.
It doesn't take a ton of time to hand form some ground chuck, it's worth the effort for fresh meat.

I'm not one to take a lot of pictures of meat on the BBQ however I did snap a shot of my first full brisket (this is at about the 4 hour mark in smoke mode).

Old 04-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #33
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It doesn't take a ton of time to hand form some ground chuck, it's worth the effort for fresh meat.

I'm not one to take a lot of pictures of meat on the BBQ however I did snap a shot of my first full brisket (this is at about the 4 hour mark in smoke mode).

Brisket is the one thing I haven't tried but I really want to. What temp is the grill at? What temp is the brisket done at? What type of wood did you use?
Old 04-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #34
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Don't ignore the rotisserie, they are great for roasts and chicken.

Prime Rib on the rotisserie is fantastic, I can't wait for some good weather to do that.
Chicken or prime rib would be just as good, or better, using indirect cooking. Just like ribs, or pork butt.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #35
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_baby_burn View Post
Chicken or prime rib would be just as good, or better, using indirect cooking. Just like ribs, or pork butt.
I never said don't use indirect cooking, I prefer the rotisserie to it though.

And really it's a matter of preference, so saying one way or the other is better is misleading.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:15 AM   #36
TheGrimm
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_baby_burn View Post
Brisket is the one thing I haven't tried but I really want to. What temp is the grill at? What temp is the brisket done at? What type of wood did you use?
Generally I'd say keep it between 225 and 250 degrees, I used quite a bit from http://www.amazingribs.com/ the first time around and then tweaked things a bit from there.

One thing I'd strongly recommend is don't skip the "faux cambro" step which can be as simple as putting the meat in foil, then wrapping it in towels and putting it in a cooler. It sounds ridiculous but it works!
The Following User Says Thank You to TheGrimm For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2013, 07:32 AM   #37
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
So I went to BBQ's Galore because of all the recommendations here and got myself this grill:

Broil King 420. Cast Iron body and lid, 4 burners. I pick it up in a week since they didn't have the propane version in stock. I'm excited to get this thing up and running as I will probably be using it 3-4 times per week in the summer.

It is a little over my budget of $500 (this unit is $650), but I thought it's worthwhile to spend the extra $ to get something I will be happy with.
Good choice. When I sold BBQs I used to recommend this brand (well... Broil Mate, but they're the exact same BBQ) to people who didn't want to buy a Weber. Good quality for the price. They used to be made in Canada and I think some still are. They were always good at replacing parts.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #38
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Generally I'd say keep it between 225 and 250 degrees, I used quite a bit from http://www.amazingribs.com/ the first time around and then tweaked things a bit from there.

One thing I'd strongly recommend is don't skip the "faux cambro" step which can be as simple as putting the meat in foil, then wrapping it in towels and putting it in a cooler. It sounds ridiculous but it works!
Awesome! I get all my BBQ recipes from Meathead as well. Every time I have people over for ribs they just fall all over themselves at how tasty they are.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:16 PM   #39
Igotnothing
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Thread resurrection. I'm looking to get a new BBQ right away here and am torn between a Weber genesis 310 or a napoleon of a similar size. Roughly $900 for them. Any thoughts on which is better than the other?
Igotnothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:47 PM   #40
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I bought a Napoleon last spring.....it has been good so far......