Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2011, 04:05 PM   #21
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Please, god of the Internetz, let them blanket the Saddledome with this wonderful Wi-Fi goodness. Having reliable, fast speeds for Flames games would be worth the small cost increase down the road (if any) as opposed to the horrible 3G speeds when there.
You actually get the internet inside the dome?

Lucky.

My phone barely functions. Text, calling or internet is very sporadic.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaramonLS For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2011, 04:07 PM   #22
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

If this really takes off like they suggest I can see guys like Telus, Bell and Rogers getting pretty upset since people will not be using their cell network nearly as much. I am OK with that.
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:20 PM   #23
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Doesn't T-Mobile have Wi-Fi coverage across 90% of San Francisco right now? I think my sister said something along those lines. Seems to be a pretty good selling feature for them.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:24 PM   #24
j_j
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I've been following this for a while. At first it didn't make a lot of sense, but as details roll-out it is actually a much better strategy than I thought.

What Shaw needed was a competitive advantage over Telus, Rogers as a TV/Internet provider. So they have made this is a "FREE" add on exclusive to their existing internet/TV subscribers. The only cost is in potential overages.

This is enough of a benefit that it might draw customers from Telus, Bell etc TV/Internet/Landline services AND it takes away some of the Telus, Bell, Rogers, etc. Cellular profits as at least some people will downsize their data packages as a result of having ready access to the wifi.

Given the choice between too pretty similar cable prices and options, I'm would opt for the one that also offers me free wifi at the saddledome, mcmahon, downtown, at the mall, etc--basically all the places where 3G currently sucks.

Picking up wifi at the office is also very convenient. With it you can circumvent restrictive corporate internet blocking/tracking policies by using your tablet, phone or whatever in the office.
j_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:25 PM   #25
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I also think it is a great idea.

I have Wifi 90% of the places I am during the day, and I never have issues with download speed or my connection. No limits either. So streaming music, movies, tv shows is not a problem at all over my phone.

Shaw is starting something pretty good here. I sense the big 3 will probably follow suit in some form. Especially Telus, since they already compete with Shaw on the TV/internet side of things.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:02 PM   #26
PsnaP
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Sure I can see the plus', but its only going to benefit people in the major centers.
PsnaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:16 PM   #27
MaDMaN_26
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Please, god of the Internetz, let them blanket the Saddledome with this wonderful Wi-Fi goodness. Having reliable, fast speeds for Flames games would be worth the small cost increase down the road (if any) as opposed to the horrible 3G speeds when there.

even if they have wireless it would have to be some crazy ass'ed bandwidth to not be as dead or just as slow as 3g with all those peeps
Old 12-07-2011, 09:09 PM   #28
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsnaP View Post
Sure I can see the plus', but its only going to benefit people in the major centers.
and? that's where 90% of any customer base is. now go ahead and tell me how many small towns Optik TV and Internet is available in
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:11 PM   #29
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
And that is 100% their target market. I have had the opportunity to speak to some corporate sales reps from Shaw about this, and their goal is to raise their current ~70% market share up to as close to 100% as they can. At this point, it is their intention to offer this service as a free value add, making the choice between Shaw and their competition pretty close to a no brainer. Once Shaw has customers addicted to their internet service, they will lure them into phone and TV with bundle deals, etc.

One thing to note here, is that you need to be using wifi from one of their new routers. I don't see that as a big issue though.

Expect to hear deals made with the City, Schools, and hospitals in the coming months about this as well.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psicodude For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2011, 10:09 PM   #30
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
At this point, it is their intention to offer this service as a free value add, making the choice between Shaw and their competition pretty close to a no brainer.
Yep, something like this might be enough to make me switch back from Telus. As it stands the service is pretty much the same. I get lower speed than with Shaw but I really don't need anything faster than what I have.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:15 PM   #31
CubicleGeek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
Expect to hear deals made with the City, Schools, and hospitals in the coming months about this as well.
I think getting Wi-Fi on transit will be the biggest win next to busy centers such as malls and schools. If you think of majority of the professional demographic and students that would use wi-fi the most would be the time they are on the bus or train getting to and from work. And for alot of that demographic, the commute is really the time they can read a book or stream the latest episode of some TV show. By the time they get to where they are, such as home or work or campus, they already have access to their local wi-fi networks.

They have had wi-fi on busses in centers like Hong Kong for a long time and it is great. I recently facetimed with a friend taking a bus in HK and the connection speed is very respectable.
CubicleGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:12 AM   #32
PsnaP
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
and? that's where 90% of any customer base is. now go ahead and tell me how many small towns Optik TV and Internet is available in
What I meant was, its only available in small bubbles around the city. If youre not in this bubble... then youre back using your data plan on your cell. Will you be able to walk across downtown and never lose a Wifi signal? Or is this geared more for people who are in the same spot for a while?
PsnaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:26 AM   #33
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
What I meant was, its only available in small bubbles around the city. If youre not in this bubble... then youre back using your data plan on your cell. Will you be able to walk across downtown and never lose a Wifi signal? Or is this geared more for people who are in the same spot for a while?
the goal is to have the entire city in that bubble, this trial is only the first step
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:37 AM   #34
SinceDay1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

^^^
Not sure that's 100% accurate. I can't recall where, but I read that Shaw intends to eventually have 100's of hotspots that will handoff seamlessly from one to another covering the core, major public gathering places like parks and malls, and major transportation corridors like LRT lines.
SinceDay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:58 PM   #35
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the hotspots is in Horeshoe Bay, cool I can use it while waiting for my ferry.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:38 PM   #36
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm curious as to what kind of technology/hardware they're using for this? Anyone know what the radius is for the hotspots? Any links to tech pages would be appreciated!
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:53 PM   #37
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I can confirm that once authenticated (once) via the web browser, your mobile device will happily hop on the network automatically anywhere the hotspots are in operation. I joined at Canada Place downtown, and went across the street to Bow Valley Square, and the device connected at Canada Place, dropped to 3G through the +15, and back onto wifi as I entered BVS.

Very happy with how this is shaping up.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:15 PM   #38
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Run Speedtest.net app?
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:17 PM   #39
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
^Run Speedtest.net app?
I'll use my laptop next time I'm around one - I find the speedtest.net app for iOS devices to be notoriously inaccurate (that or the wifi on iOS devices sucks hard, but either way, it's not indicative of what Shaw is providing, basing it on a test run on iOS)
Old 12-08-2011, 03:06 PM   #40
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm curious as to what kind of technology/hardware they're using for this? Anyone know what the radius is for the hotspots? Any links to tech pages would be appreciated!
Today coming to work, I turned on my wifi as I approached the crossroads market, and it connected probably 1/3 of a block away from the market and was about that distance away when it lost signal.