Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #21
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Nathan Walker gets drafted (currently 21st for European skaters), will he be the first Austrailian player drafted into the NHL?
Old 01-13-2012, 10:01 PM   #22
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
If Nathan Walker gets drafted (currently 21st for European skaters), will he be the first Austrailian player drafted into the NHL?
Yes, and would be the first to play in the NHL.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #23
Hatter
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hopefully a player like Cody Ceci falls to the Flames. You can't teach big, and you can't teach RH shot. I don't feel any of the top centre prospects will fall to the 15ish spot, unless injuries change something.
Hatter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:54 PM   #24
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
Hopefully a player like Cody Ceci falls to the Flames. You can't teach big, and you can't teach RH shot. I don't feel any of the top centre prospects will fall to the 15ish spot, unless injuries change something.
I could see Galchenyuk fall to 10-20. Talent-wise he should be a top 5 pick, but his injury makes him a gamble (much like Brett Connolly a couple years ago). I wouldn't be shocked if he slipped down considerably simply because of that.

I wonder where Tanner Pearson goes. Undrafted twice, but fantastic season this year and AHL eligible in the fall. Could be an interesting option for the 2nd or even late 1st round.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #25
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I wonder where Tanner Pearson goes. Undrafted twice, but fantastic season this year and AHL eligible in the fall. Could be an interesting option for the 2nd or even late 1st round.
Opinions seem to vary between 1st round lock and 2nd-3rd round. His showing at the WJC wasn't horribly impressive and there's still the question of whether or not it's just a one year aberration.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #26
Beerfest
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
Opinions seem to vary between 1st round lock and 2nd-3rd round. His showing at the WJC wasn't horribly impressive and there's still the question of whether or not it's just a one year aberration.

Some have said a first round lock? Thats interesting. I wonder when the last time (if ever) someone was taken in the first round after being draft eligable for two years.
Beerfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:16 AM   #27
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfest View Post
Some have said a first round lock? Thats interesting. I wonder when the last time (if ever) someone was taken in the first round after being draft eligable for two years.
Last year was getting close. Magnus Hellberg was a 20 year old drafted in the earlier parts of the 2nd.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:52 PM   #28
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
I had Flames selecting Ceci in last week's mock draft:
http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-2012...il-or-mikhail/
Old 01-25-2012, 09:09 PM   #29
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would happily take Cody Ceci. 44 points in 44 games.

I think whether or not the Jackets pick Yakupov or not will definitely depend on whether or not the rumours are true about them shopping Nash, Carter and Brassard.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:24 PM   #30
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^I think it'll depend more on whether or not the Oilers take Yakupov with the 1st overall pick.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2012, 04:00 AM   #31
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

if the Oilers get 1st overall again, it'd be smart to trade down to #3 and pick Murray. They really don't need another forward, they desperately need a blue-chip defenseman. Could surely get some good assets for trading down from #1 to #3. Then again, the Oilers are not smart and would probably just pick Yakupov or Grigorenko anyway ...

I would be fine with Cody Ceci, seems like solid defenseman with good size. We'd be lucky to get someone like him. Similar to Bärtschi this year, he'd only have one year in junior left after the draft. Pouliot could also be interesting if we finish somewehere between 12 and 16, especially given that he has played with Bärtschi and Wotherspoon.

In any case, I think we should go for a defenseman in the first round this year. Only exception would be that Galchenyuk was still available because of his injury, but other than that, I don't see any forwards in the 10-20 range that could be more valuable than a good defenseman.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #32
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yakupov was suspended for skipping the Top Prosepcts game:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=615168

I wonder if this will affect his ranking.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #33
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

so a player says he can't go because of injury, he presents a note from a respected doctor that says that he should skip the game and they still suspend him?!? What a joke.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #34
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess they wanted him to fly to Kelowna and get checked out there. It is pretty stupid when you consider that it's quite a trek and it's unlikely he would have played anyway.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #35
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
It is pretty stupid when you consider that it's quite a trek and it's unlikely he would have played anyway.
exactly, so why even bother making the trip? I don't get the logic here. A note from a doc saying you shouldn't go seems like a legit reason to skip the game. I know it's an important game, but everybody knows Yakupov will go #1 or #2 anyways. Plus there's always the risk of another injury. Of course the league wanted him to be there for obvious reasons, but if you can't go, you can't go. Simple as that.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #36
Wronskian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Watching the Top Prospect's game I was definitely impressed with Griffith Reinhart. I know its a small sample, but is he the real deal? Also thought Pouliot played well, seems very poised with the puck.
Would be awesome to lock down another Reinhart. Then maybe even get Sam Reinhart in 2014
Wronskian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:12 PM   #37
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

3 experts made mock drafts for NHL.com today. Picks for Calgary (#11):

Adam Kimelman: D Jacob Trouba (USA U-18/USHL)
("Making U.S. World Junior Championship team in his draft year speaks volumes for his skill level")

Mike Morreale: D Olli Maatta (London/OHL)
("Fearless Finn has good mobility, can handle the puck well and plays penalty kill and power play")

Steve Hoffner: C Zemgus Girgensons (Dubuque/USHL)
("Great hands and skill; Flames need to add goals to an aging offense")

Certainly interesting. It should be noted that Cody Ceci and Derrick Pouliot would have been available in all three mock drafts at #11. Hoffner had Griffin Reinhart at 12, the others at 9 and 10. They all have Yakupov at 1 and Murray at 2, while Grigorenko is "only" at 3 twice and at 4 once. Galchenyuk is quite high in all three rankings (#4 and twice #5) despite his injury. Some weird decisions as well though - for example, Hoffner has Malcolm Subban at #6 (Subban may have great stats, but he has played "just" 20 games so far and I can't see him go in the top 20).

Last edited by devo22; 02-06-2012 at 08:16 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2012, 09:44 PM   #38
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some analysis from Bob Mackenzie. It sounds like a draft where there could be a lot of surprises:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=387177
Old 02-07-2012, 09:48 PM   #39
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

The more I hear about Cody Ceci, the more I like. Sounds like a T.J. Brodie type with even higher ceiling.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:20 AM   #40
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
The more I hear about Cody Ceci, the more I like. Sounds like a T.J. Brodie type with even higher ceiling.
He's a BIG Brodie with slightly worse skating. Problem is, he's also a 1st round pick with pretty much similar ceilings, not a 4th round surprise (#3/#4 D).