Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2024, 02:30 PM   #21
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems like a reasonable contract for Vegas.

The trade looks good for both teams in my eyes.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2024, 02:30 PM   #22
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now that he's cashed I expect him to take the same kind of trajectory as Brodie after moving from Calgary to Toronto.

Whelming, then eventually underwhelming, but still has to play regular minutes because of the contract.

Hopefully he's better in the playoffs for Vegas than he was for Calgary.

Get us that 2nd and eliminate the oilers.

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 04-11-2024 at 02:32 PM.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2024, 02:30 PM   #23
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a good deal for Hanifin, but VGK will need to make some moves in the off-season. It will be interesting to see if Hanifin takes another step or comes back down to earth next year. He left a lot to be desired here during the playoffs, so I hope he keeps it up for the Knights.

Does that leave VGK with about $1.5M of capspace for next year? It seems that Marchassault, Stephenson, and Martinez(unless he takes league min) are all on the way out.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2024, 02:34 PM   #24
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
If you are going to sign someone for 8 years, a 27 year old is the way to do it.

BTW, he's 6 months older than Miromanov.
Sure. I still never really saw anything from Noah Hanifin during his tenure, save for a brief two-month stretch in his final year, that would justify paying him $7.35m until he's, what, 35? Would've been totally wrong for the Flames.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2024, 02:42 PM   #25
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Pretty much what he was going to get in Calgary. A little less I suppose.
The rumors were that Conroy offered 7.5 x 8 iirc
Old 04-11-2024, 02:46 PM   #26
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Fair deal, but one the Flames couldn't really make. Likely would have been more expensive and not really fit any kind of competitive window.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 02:49 PM   #27
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Sure. I still never really saw anything from Noah Hanifin during his tenure, save for a brief two-month stretch in his final year, that would justify paying him $7.35m until he's, what, 35? Would've been totally wrong for the Flames.
For the window I can see that.

But otherwise that's exactly where he should be.

26th ranked dman in salary is at $7M cap hit, ... Hanifin is 21-22nd in key 5 on 5 metrics, and plays both special teams.

This isn't an over pay at all.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2024, 02:51 PM   #28
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Pretty much what he was going to get in Calgary. A little less I suppose.
Factoring in taxes, it's a big win for Hanifin:

Vegas: $7,350,000 = $4,675,293 after tax
Alberta: $7,500,000 = $3,934,350 after tax

The contract is front loaded at $9.5 for the first year so after tax that's:

Vegas: $6,029,793
Alberta: $4,974,350

You obviously have other things to consider like agent's fees, escrow, cost of living and sales tax. Any way you cut it, the Vegas deal leaves a lot more cash in his pocket.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2024, 02:52 PM   #29
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Worth every penny and maybe more.

I thought he only wanted to be in Tampa?
Old 04-11-2024, 02:53 PM   #30
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
$7.35 seems like the going rate for a dependable top 4 guy now. He's been in the league a while but is only just 27.

That being said, I don't see Hanifin as irreplaceable. In fact, he just is kind of a basic top 4 guy. The trade was definitely the right move.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 02:56 PM   #31
DylanScores
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
It's a good deal for Hanifin, but VGK will need to make some moves in the off-season. It will be interesting to see if Hanifin takes another step or comes back down to earth next year. He left a lot to be desired here during the playoffs, so I hope he keeps it up for the Knights.

Does that leave VGK with about $1.5M of capspace for next year? It seems that Marchassault, Stephenson, and Martinez(unless he takes league min) are all on the way out.
Yeah, but they will put him on LTIR then would be ok before the playoffs for 8 yrs in a row.
DylanScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 03:00 PM   #32
HitterD
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Factoring in taxes, it's a big win for Hanifin:

Vegas: $7,350,000 = $4,675,293 after tax
Alberta: $7,500,000 = $3,934,350 after tax

The contract is front loaded at $9.5 for the first year so after tax that's:

Vegas: $6,029,793
Alberta: $4,974,350

You obviously have other things to consider like agent's fees, escrow, cost of living and sales tax. Any way you cut it, the Vegas deal leaves a lot more cash in his pocket.
How are you calculating this? Did you go through the exercise of calculating all of the taxes for each state and province the road games are played on as well?

The tax difference only affects the home games. I’d be surprise if the difference was as significant as you mention here but maybe I’m wrong
HitterD is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HitterD For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2024, 03:05 PM   #33
GFG#1
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitterD View Post
How are you calculating this? Did you go through the exercise of calculating all of the taxes for each state and province the road games are played on as well?

The tax difference only affects the home games. I’d be surprise if the difference was as significant as you mention here but maybe I’m wrong
Cap friendly has a tax calculator, it is under the Calculators drop down at the top.

You can sort it by net income so it shows you most take home to lowest etc. Many other filters.

Also pretty sure it doesn't matter if they are on the road or at home, you pay the home state/province taxes. No different if you take a work trip to Toronto, you don't suddenly pay Toronto's provincial taxes for those 3 days.

Last edited by GFG#1; 04-11-2024 at 03:08 PM.
GFG#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GFG#1 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2024, 03:06 PM   #34
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Haha suck it Tampa.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2024, 03:06 PM   #35
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s right where he probably should be paid per year but eight years? Not sure I like that for Vegas. These guys come and go. To commit to eight years, I’m glad the Flames walked away.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 03:08 PM   #36
Groot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitterD View Post

This, and if he's dumb enough to have such poor financial advice/tax planning that he just collects his paycheques, calculates and pays tax at the respective rates owed and calls it a day, he deserves to take the tax hit.
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 03:11 PM   #37
Groot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1307480088800182272
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Groot For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2024, 03:16 PM   #38
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFG#1 View Post
Also pretty sure it doesn't matter if they are on the road or at home, you pay the home state/province taxes.
That's flat wrong. Many jurisdictions charge a special income tax on visiting athletes and entertainers. It's a huge hassle, especially for those who aren't making millions (the great majority of people affected), and all it really does is move money around in circles as every jurisdiction tries to rob everyone else.
Old 04-11-2024, 03:18 PM   #39
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe NHL teams sign way too many long term deals but you can see the logic in this one though.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 03:18 PM   #40
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Let's NOT forget Noah didn't really want to be here anymore anyway and he was the one that made it weird in the end and not the other way around..

He did well here and didn't Zadorov in the end but still got what he wanted in the end ....he got paid .

I can't.help but dislike the way guys sometimes exit from here making it sound seem like we were the issue, we were preventing him from ?

Bigger picture ....I want to see someone make a big jump and earning opportunity to play here like Phaneuf when he forced his way onto the team....just don't end up with Dions attitude ....do you know who I am?

Guys we have like Pourier, and others who are putting in the work to make the jump because openings exist and competing has to be the new way to play here and stay here.

I like what Conroy did to some degree with waiver pickups to see if guys will play to their potential if you show them belief and faith....even more getting Hunter locked up showing him and proving to us fans he's not F ing around anymore .

This message will show others Calgary will make good if you show the scouts what you got and interview well showing not just skill and leadership on the ice , in the gym and community your worth the $$

Excited for thr future and I don't honestly believe Noah was a team guy anyway....I'm here to help this team win BS grates on my nerves.

Guys that wanna win here take haircuts for the betterment of the team so we can get more for out $$ not just paying 3 dudes a ton like thr f tards up north who'll never win a gawd damn thing
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post: