Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2024, 08:41 PM   #21
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Fleury biggest tool out there. On 3 different occasions over the course of 10 years, was an obnoxious d bag. "Do you know who I am attitude" and also loud and obnoxious

Iginla, one of the nicest human beings ever. Met him when he was a rookie at Japanese Village. Took the time to talk to me for 5 min despite it being a team dinner. That same dinner, met the rest of the team, but don't even remember them as Iginla stood out.

Sandy McCarthy - same dinner as above. But he was not with the team dinner, instead with his family and we were seated beside him. I was a 10 yo fanboying, while my dad was trying to calm me down. Sandy gave a few awkward smiles, and then a complete look of dread when he saw the team walk in. Lol

Andrew Ference - saw him at the 7-11 Crowchild and Memorial after game 6 of the Detroit series. It was like 4 in the morning. He was standing beside me in line in his pea coat, and I was tired as hell driving my friends home and just wanting a red bull before going home. Looked up, locked eyes, and just nodded at him and said good game. I think he expected me to fanboy. Just said thanks, nodded back and left. I always thought he looked small on the ice, but seeing him person, I was pretty sure he'd eat me if he wanted to.

Gary Roberts - his daughter went to school w my sister in the same class. Love him cause I have a jersey signed by him because of that relationship. Haha. Seemed like a normal guy, but I was like 8-9 or something

Doug Riseborough - I was friends with his daughter Lindsay for 3ish years, and was in her class from K-3. She was awesome, and her dad seemed really down to earth and nice

Sent from my SM-F946W using Tapatalk
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to manwiches For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 08:52 PM   #22
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

I once saw Phaneuf and his wife yelling at each other over spending money on a toque for a Halloween costume in a Walmart. It was bizarre.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Burning Beard For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 08:56 PM   #23
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I met Fleury at an autograph signing back in the early 90’s, and stopped being a fan after that. He didn’t say a word to anyone, even the kids, and didn’t even look at anyone.
I never got to meet him but my sister got his autograph for me after one game when they played in Winnipeg.

She said he was a dick and kept on getting annoyed so many kids wanted autographs.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 08:56 PM   #24
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would rather focus on the opposite
Rick Tabbaraci used to come into the Roger’s I worked at regularly to rent videos
Totally nice guy
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 08:59 PM   #25
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Would rather focus on the opposite
Rick Tabbaraci used to come into the Roger’s I worked at regularly to rent videos
Totally nice guy
Another apparent good guy Flame once ran into some fans on the road somewhere and when he learned that they drove all the way down from Calgary but didn't have tickets, he bought them all tickets to that night's playoff game.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 09:00 PM   #26
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Replying to Igottago (quoting won't work for some reason):

The signing was at a SportChek. Did they used to have one on MacLeod that wasn't in the mall? I still have a mug they gave us to get signed, and the glossy.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 09:04 PM   #27
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
I once saw Phaneuf and his wife yelling at each other over spending money on a toque for a Halloween costume in a Walmart. It was bizarre.
Phaneuf would make a great Frankenstein, come to think of it.
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 09:05 PM   #28
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

A friend of a friend was a paramedic in the 90's, and told a story that he was called to Fleury's house after he OD'ed on coke. I thought it was BS until I read Fleury's book, and he described the incident in detail.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 09:10 PM   #29
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckSlap View Post
That’s. crazy, I met Fleury around few times in 2012-2015 and he was really cool! Signed my book and was really polite. Even when he was just sending mail at the post office in Cranston. I know how people feel about him now, but he was nice to me.
That’s cool and all. But don’t be confused. The opinion is far from a new thing…
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 09:24 PM   #30
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Another apparent good guy Flame once ran into some fans on the road somewhere and when he learned that they drove all the way down from Calgary but didn't have tickets, he bought them all tickets to that night's playoff game.
That was Iginla, and it was the Salt Lake City Olympics.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 09:25 PM   #31
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
Would have not been his wife back then. Unless you were in Toronto.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 09:35 PM   #32
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Every hockey player I’ve met has been kind to me. Maybe you guys are the problem.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 09:38 PM   #33
mac_82
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Vernon was a real jerk.

Had great interactions with Lanny, Peplinski, Regehr, Oliwa, Gio and FaF Freddie Sjostrom.
mac_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 09:41 PM   #34
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

In 1981, my buddies and I made a banner and went to the airport to welcome the Flames back after knocking off the Flyers in the quarterfinals. The team was great and I got autographs from Pat Riggin, Brad Marsh, Phil Russell, Guy Chouinard, Kent Nilsson, Bobby McMillan, Ken Houston, Don Lever and many others. The one player that refused to sign any autographs was Willie Plett who just walked by all the fans. It was pretty sad. He was the favorite player of one of my friends.
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Eric Vail For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 09:42 PM   #35
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Good:
- Iginla has always be amazing. 10/10. A++
- Conroy was almost too nice and friendly. Amazing human.

Bad:
- Dion. Was full of himself from his rookie season on. Met him a few time, never a good experience.
- Marc Savard, at a team event around 99/00 was super annoyed to be there giving kids autos.
- Oliwa was not friendly and super pissed to give autographs.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 09:43 PM   #36
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
That was Iginla, and it was the Salt Lake City Olympics.
You're correct, I mixed up the Olympics with, 04 run!
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 09:54 PM   #37
Burn13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Tkachuk wouldn't sign my 9yr olds jersey when he was scotiabank skater. It was a Tkachuk jersey!!! Left a bad impression with my kid.
Burn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 10:00 PM   #38
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

My experiences with Theo have been nothing but amazing.
Had a funny experience with James Neal. He was both a ton of fun/nice and also a huge prick.
Jarome is the best human I’ve ever met. Exceeded high expectations.
Gelinas not so nice.
I’ve heard negative things about young Phaneuf and Tkachuk.
Bourque's Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bourque's Twin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 10:07 PM   #39
Alpha_Q
Scoring Winger

Exp:

In high school, circa 89, I worked a fish and chip restaurant in the Glamorgan area. Captain Scott's at 37 st and about 45 ave. The couple who owned the place were from Korea, and the husband had no English at all but loved hockey and loved the Flames. One day Mike Vernon walked in - I think his parents lived in the area. I told Gil, the owner, that's Michael Vernon, and he kept staring, but wouldn't believe me. I went out in the dining area under the pretence of cleaning something and talked to Vernon for a bit, just as he and the people he was with were packing to go. I told him how the owner was a big fan and Flames, Michael, and Vernon was about half his English vocabulary. He didn't say much, just sort of nodded as he left. Couple days later, in walks Mike Vernon, Lanny MacDonald, Jim Peplinski, Joel Otto and Colin Patterson. They sit and eat and have the couple join them for about an hour, Yuna, Gil's wife having to translate the whole time. They signed the Mike Vernon poster that Gil had hung in the office, but moreso they brought a 45 year old Korean military vet to tears.
Alpha_Q is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 70 Users Say Thank You to Alpha_Q For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 10:10 PM   #40
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I was a kid Vernon held up the team bus to give me an autograph, the day after winning the cup. Surprised to see his name here although I know he was a boozer back in the day.

Tags
edmonton is no good