Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2017, 01:36 PM   #21
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would be comical if he did one of those frauds and actually sent someone money
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:38 PM   #22
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:45 PM   #23
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

5% of the company's annual net profit and they will probably get a big tax write off
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 02:36 PM   #24
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
5% of the company's annual net profit and they will probably get a big tax write off
You're saying this like it's a good thing.
You know what's better than writing off a $100 MM loss?
Making another $100 MM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2017, 02:37 PM   #25
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Seems like it would've been a smarter idea to hand in his notice and leave quietly rather than drawing suspicion by disappearing suddenly.

But then it dawned on me that his disappearance may not have been his choice.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 02:41 PM   #26
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

NSFW!

For shame that I'm the first one to post this. Come on you guys..
Old 02-23-2017, 02:43 PM   #27
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Ok, my original title was going to be Oceans 11 I FFFFFF them. But thought it would be inappropriate and make little sense.
Because the rest of your posts are so well articulated, thought out, and composed with proper English?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2017, 02:44 PM   #28
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
hard to imagine hiding with that amount of money
Step 1. Don't hide out in your own country. Someone with a hundred million bucks could easily fund safe passage (ie: get themselves smuggled in) to another country.

Step 2. Get some very convincing falsified documentation under an alias. Again, more money = more options.

Step 3. Don't draw attention to yourself in your new country of residence. Outward appearances should be as bland as wallpaper paste, as interesting as the Toyota Camry.

Step 4. Put all the money into Bitcoin, use BTC ATMs when you need cash.

Realistically, the only reason any of us have any government visibility is because we generate income and pay taxes, own assets, hold bank accounts, etc. We have SIN numbers, driver's licenses, etc.

Pulling this off in a developed nation would be a real challenge. You'd have to rent housing from private individuals (provided there are no credit checks), you could never buy a house or a car (no buying large assets in full as cash transactions over $10K get flagged, no lease or finance since they require credit histories).

All the reasons to have $100m in a developed nation are non-starters because most of these things require that you have some form of documentation and registration. Ideally, you'd move to some tropical third-world country where that you could live on a beach and not have to give a crap about anything except paying off whoever needed paying off.

... why is everyone looking at me like that? I'm sitting in the airport lounge at Pearson, I figured it would be fun to think about it.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2017, 02:46 PM   #29
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingHomer View Post
You seem to pick on Panama a lot. There are still a couple of dozen of us that do business above board you know.
It stands to reason after the infamous 'Panama Papers' fiasco...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:13 PM   #30
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Step 1. Don't hide out in your own country. Someone with a hundred million bucks could easily fund safe passage (ie: get themselves smuggled in) to another country.

Step 2. Get some very convincing falsified documentation under an alias. Again, more money = more options.

Step 3. Don't draw attention to yourself in your new country of residence. Outward appearances should be as bland as wallpaper paste, as interesting as the Toyota Camry.

Realistically, the only reason any of us have any government visibility is because we generate income and pay taxes, own assets, hold bank accounts, etc. We have SIN numbers, driver's licenses, etc.

Pulling this off in a developed nation would be a real challenge. You'd have to rent housing from private individuals (provided there are no credit checks), you could never buy a house or a car (no buying large assets in full as cash transactions over $10K get flagged, no lease or finance since they require credit histories).

All the reasons to have $100m in a developed nation are non-starters because most of these things require that you have some form of documentation and registration. Ideally, you'd move to some tropical third-world country where that you could live on a beach and not have to give a crap about anything except paying off whoever needed paying off.

... why is everyone looking at me like that? I'm sitting in the airport lounge at Pearson, I figured it would be fun to think about it.
I supervised a woman that had embezzeled about 500,000 from her employer.
She got a deuce less a day, the longest provincial sentence allowed so in truth a year and a half with good behaviour, her excuse was she and her boyfriend got into coke and blew it all up their noses so there was nothing left to repay and no paper trail to prove any of it.

It occurred to me it was the perfect crime, I'd do a year or two in provincial for half a million, you'd do great in treatment because you never had a coke problem in the first place, just keep the money in a bank box somewhere, keep a low profile and then move to another province after your probation ended!
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:42 PM   #31
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
Because the rest of your posts are so well articulated, thought out, and composed with proper English?
And you are?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:50 PM   #32
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post

The thing is with that plan, is you wouldn't get to enjoy the $100mm. I could probably live in a tropical third world country and drive a Camry with my own savings and not worry about Interpol and paying people off.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2017, 03:52 PM   #33
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get nervous taking scratch pads and notebooks from the office.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 04:05 PM   #34
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
The thing is with that plan, is you wouldn't get to enjoy the $100mm. I could probably live in a tropical third world country and drive a Camry with my own savings and not worry about Interpol and paying people off.
I'd rather die in prison than drive a Camry!

If you're going to steal, steal big!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2017, 05:42 PM   #35
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

nice!
Old 02-23-2017, 06:40 PM   #36
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does this mean the price of soft starters will be going up? Now I have to re-do all my budget estimates!
Old 02-23-2017, 06:59 PM   #37
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh this only gets better.... This guy was their Ethics Officer....

Quote:
Swiss engineering group ABB (ABBN.S) on Wednesday said it fell victim to a "sophisticated criminal scheme" at its South Korean subsidiary, with the chief suspect an executive responsible for ethics training.

The executive, named by a source in South Korea as Oh Myeong-se, was treasurer and one of two integrity ombudsmen for ABB Korea - to whom staff were supposed to report any ethical concerns - according to an online company magazine available on ABB's Korean website.

He was also the head of compliance at ABB in Korea until 2010, said a source familiar with the investigation, a role that carries responsibility for maintaining legal and ethical integrity.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ab...KBN16114L?il=0
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2017, 07:00 PM   #38
Art Vandelay
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Seems like a good idea, just lay low till the Statue of Limitations runs out.
There's a Seinfeld clip for everything.

Art Vandelay is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Art Vandelay For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2017, 07:08 PM   #39
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Sounds like a pretty big company, they can just right it off.
But, he left.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2017, 09:42 PM   #40
sharkov
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Why would ABB entrust $100 million onto one of its S. Korean operations? S. Korea is like the Nigeria of Asia