Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 08:17 AM   #3961
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Yeah, probably a deal for Elliott in place on or after July 1 (whenever they are free of giving up that 3rd to St. Louis)

Low money, 1 or 2 years, etc. Wouldn't shock me at this point.

And hey, no Grossmann to ruin his confidence 5 minutes into the season.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:18 AM   #3962
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIP MAN View Post
I'd give up a minor ransom for Saros, but I doubt Nashville would do it. Thought maybe we could pry Rinne, but assume that's not happening with their recent run. Right now I'd say that's the best tandem.
Well they cant protect both of them so Brad can call Vegas I guess.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:18 AM   #3963
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I would still rather have Miller or Smith than Elliott. And Miller wouldn't cost assets like re-signing Elliott would.

Basically, I would rather anyone other than Elliott. If we bring him back it would be up there with the disgust I felt when the Flames signed Bertuzzi.

It would be the worst call since they put Elliott back in for game 4. I knew that was going to be a disaster, and so would bringing him back next year.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2017, 08:21 AM   #3964
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
I would still rather have Miller or Smith than Elliott. And Miller would be cost assets like re-signing Elliott would.

Basically, I would rather anyone other than Elliott. If we bring him back it would be up there with the disgust I felt when the Flames signed Bertuzzi.
I think I would rather hedge my bets on Elliott bouncing back from a down season than hoping 35+ year old guys like Miller or Smith can hold it together for one more year.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2017, 08:22 AM   #3965
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
I thought Saros was ineligible for expansion draft?
The Following User Says Thank You to iloveicedhockey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2017, 08:23 AM   #3966
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
Saros is exempt
Old 05-15-2017, 08:27 AM   #3967
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Elliott is literally the best and most proven option left out of the pending UFA's and that makes me sad as hell. Especially since he can't just be signed for nothing, we actually lose a pick to sign him.

I could actually forgive his slow start. New city, new baby, new coach, new team that was playing like garbage in front of him. Once he (and the team) turned it on that entire bad start was completely forgiven in my mind.

That playoff meltdown I can't let go though, and it can't be redeemed with anything less than him standing on his head as a Flame in next years playoffs, which I would have zero faith in actually happening.

But at this point I can definitely see him back. Who knows what else is available out there via trade, or what it would cost.

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 05-15-2017 at 08:30 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2017, 08:29 AM   #3968
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Talk of Elliott returning? My three stages:

Last edited by ComixZone; 05-15-2017 at 08:32 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2017, 08:31 AM   #3969
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Speaking of RWs, anyone willing to give Stephane Da Costa a shot:

Darren Dreger‏Verified account @DarrenDreger
Former Ottawa Senators forward Stephane Da Costa shares goal scoring lead at the World Championship with Johnny Gaudreau with 6 each...

A number of NHL teams have expressed some interest in Da Costa who has played the last 3 seasons with CSKA Moscow in the KHL.

Da Costa wants to return to the NHL, but also has considerable interest in the KHL, so an NHL offer would have to come soon.

stats: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=14394

The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2017, 08:31 AM   #3970
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Elliott is literally the best and most proven option left out of the pending UFA's and that makes me sad as hell. Especially since he can't just be signed for nothing, we actually lose a pick to sign him.

I could actually forgive his slow start. New city, new baby, new coach, new team that was playing like garbage in front of him. Once he (and the team) turned it on that entire bad start was completely forgiven in my mind.

That playoff meltdown I can't let go though, and it can't be redeemed with anything less than him standing on his head as a Flame in next years playoffs.

But at this point I can definitely see him back. Who knows what else is available out there via trade, or what it would cost.
100% agree. I always felt he was better than his slow start, was duly self-congratulatory when he was playing well, but my confidence in him has been very much shaken.

But perhaps he and a couple other guys (Troy, I'm looking at you) can bounce back.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:32 AM   #3971
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnitdown View Post
Ovechkin was dominant in last year's playoffs and he has 90 points in 97 games over his playoff career. Sometimes I think people forget how hard it is to win the Cup and how anything can happen in a seven game series. One hot goalie, a bad bounce, a missed call can sink your chances even if you're the favourite. I'd focus more on getting good players that help our roster instead of avoiding perceived "non-clutch" players because they might ruin our chances in the playoffs when we're there.
Ovechkin is a dominant scorer. He's barely adequate without the puck. It was his man who scored both Penguins goals in the last game. And that's not uncommon - the guy's idea of back-checking is to glide in the general direction of a random opposing player.

Personally, I have a tough time regarding players who are only good on one side of the puck as elite. If Crosby was a 15 goal/35 point guy he would still get loads of ice time and be a highly valuable player. Can you say the same about Ovechkin?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2017, 08:33 AM   #3972
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

That playoff meltdown I can't let go though, and it can't be redeemed with anything less than him standing on his head as a Flame in next years playoffs.

How do you sell this to the fan base though? This would create a crisis of confidence as everyone saw the meltdown. We get any level of NHL goaltending and we might very well win that series. I truly hope that elliotte is wrong as it would be very difficult for fans to get behind this move. Would be tandamount to bringing Hiller back.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:34 AM   #3973
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

To clarify, the way I took the Friedman conversation wasn't that it was based on any insight from the team - simply Friedman throwing stuff around - and suggesting that the current duo may be the best option given alternatives. As opposed to him speculating that its the direction the Flames are leaning.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2017, 08:38 AM   #3974
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
To clarify, the way I took the Friedman conversation wasn't that it was based on any insight from the team - simply Friedman throwing stuff around - and suggesting that the current duo may be the best option given alternatives. As opposed to him speculating that its the direction the Flames are leaning.
and this is the sad/infuriating part for me.

An absolutely crucial piece to the team...and (barring a surprise), we're digging through the scraps hoping we can...what? Yet again find below replacement level goaltending?
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2017, 08:39 AM   #3975
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I hope no Elliott/Johnson, this reminds me of the Ramo/Hiller combo returning again.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:40 AM   #3976
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Speaking of RWs, anyone willing to give Stephane Da Costa a shot:

Former Ottawa Senators forward Stephane Da Costa shares goal scoring lead at the World Championship with Johnny Gaudreau with 6 each...

A number of NHL teams have expressed some interest in Da Costa who has played the last 3 seasons with CSKA Moscow in the KHL.

Da Costa wants to return to the NHL, but also has considerable interest in the KHL, so an NHL offer would have to come soon.

stats: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=14394
I don't see why not, depending on the contract.

He scored 98 points in 96 games over three years in the KHL, which carries an NHLe of 66 points, although that's propped up by a big season 3 years ago, and his last two look like he struggled with injuries?

Could be found money though, and the Flames need top 6 talent with the right shot being a big bonus as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2017, 08:41 AM   #3977
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

From 30,000 feet it doesn't seem like the Flames have a ton of options. Personally I would sign Steve Mason before bringing Elliott back but a Mason-Johnson tandem doesn't scream improvement to me. I just want to move on from Elliott there is no future there.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:43 AM   #3978
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why is everyone intent on keeping Johnson? I know he had the stretch that turned it around for Calgary, but he was much worse than Elliott in the second half of the season. His glove hand was terrible. I'd much rather have Gillies or Rittich in as a backup.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2017, 08:43 AM   #3979
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
and this is the sad/infuriating part for me.

An absolutely crucial piece to the team...and (barring a surprise), we're digging through the scraps hoping we can...what? Yet again find below replacement level goaltending?
He outlined why it has played out that way
- Bishop probably not interested in coming to Calgary after the events of last summer
- Hawks probably intent on trading Darling east
- MAF seems to be Vegas bound
- Preds unlikely to move Saros

I suspect the Flames have been in on everyone but similar to the summer when they thought they had Jones - it hasn't worked out.

I agree though it needs to be addressed - and I think the trade market is the best way to do that.

Or if they want to bring back Moose, add a guy that can challenge him as opposed to a guy who is for sure just a backup (Johnson)

Elliott & Raanta/Condon

Or swap Moose out for a guy like Smith (not mentioned at all this morning strangely)
Old 05-15-2017, 08:51 AM   #3980
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm curious why the pundits are so certain MAF ends up on Vegas. Can't imagine Fleury or his agent have any discussions with Vegas at this time of year.
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread