Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 11:59 AM   #3881
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope to god that Price comes back today and allows no goals so the habs crush the oil. I just want the oil to go on an epic losing streak.

The only thing I fear is that the oil miss the playoffs, end up in 9th and win the draft lottery for another first overall pick to ruin.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:28 PM   #3882
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I wouldn't be talking any smack just yet folks. We have a very difficult schedule down the stretch and the Oilers have a pretty easy one. I don't think we're a lock for the playoffs yet and I think the Oilers are. Thanks to the schedule makers the Oilers have six games against teams out of the playoff hunt, compared to the Flames two. We have the toughest schedule of anyone down the stretch including games against teams fighting for position and playoff life. We're not a lock yet thanks to the schedule maker.
So an Oilers team that is 7-8-1 since the all star break have a better shot to make it than the Flames team on a 14-2-1 run since the team had their recommitment to playing the system?

Neither team is a lock yet but both look poised to make it. Edmonton is the teamnpkaging like the group that would falter
Old 03-12-2017, 12:43 PM   #3883
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I wouldn't be talking any smack just yet folks. We have a very difficult schedule down the stretch and the Oilers have a pretty easy one. I don't think we're a lock for the playoffs yet and I think the Oilers are. Thanks to the schedule makers the Oilers have six games against teams out of the playoff hunt, compared to the Flames two. We have the toughest schedule of anyone down the stretch including games against teams fighting for position and playoff life. We're not a lock yet thanks to the schedule maker.
Either fanbase talking playoff smack right now is doing so prematurely.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeeGeeWhy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2017, 12:45 PM   #3884
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
I wouldn't be talking any smack just yet folks. We have a very difficult schedule down the stretch and the Oilers have a pretty easy one. I don't think we're a lock for the playoffs yet and I think the Oilers are...
Well, the odds makers have both teams as virtual locks to make the playoffs. Even with the difficulty of the Flames upcoming schedule it would still require a massive collapse of unprecedented proportions to fall back to 9th.

They may slip behind the Oilers when all is said and done, but the Flames are not missing the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 03-12-2017, 12:50 PM   #3885
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I was an Oiler fan I'd shut my fat pie hole and be thankful that my team was gifted 8 points by a struggling Flames team before they found their way, because if that hadn't happened I'd be staring at the distinct possibility of my pathetic garbage team missing an 11th straight post season despite 7 top 7 picks in 7 years, 4 1st overalls in 6 years and being gifted a borderline generational player my pathetic excuse of a franchise didn't deserve.

At the very least I certainly wouldn't be smug, cocky, arrogant or over confident.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2017, 12:59 PM   #3886
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Well, the odds makers have both teams as virtual locks to make the playoffs. Even with the difficulty of the Flames upcoming schedule it would still require a massive collapse of unprecedented proportions to fall back to 9th.

They may slip behind the Oilers when all is said and done, but the Flames are not missing the playoffs.
Have you looked at the schedules of all the teams in question? Calgary has the hardest schedule. Pretty much everyone else faces non-playoff teams in six or more games. Calgary gets two, and then faces the Pacific coast teams with way too much frequency for my liking. The nice thing is the Flames control their own destiny. I would much rather be in the Oilers predicament and be one point back of the Flames with multiple games against both Vancouver and Colorado than face the schedule the Flames have. Flames also have one more road trip to the eastern time zone, while everyone stays in the west. Flames are not a lock. Things could get very interesting in short order.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2017, 01:01 PM   #3887
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Have you looked at the schedules of all the teams in question? Calgary has the hardest schedule. Pretty much everyone else faces non-playoff teams in six or more games. Calgary gets two, and then faces the Pacific coast teams with way too much frequency for my liking. The nice thing is the Flames control their own destiny. I would much rather be in the Oilers predicament and be one point back of the Flames with multiple games against both Vancouver and Colorado than face the schedule the Flames have. Flames also have one more road trip to the eastern time zone, while everyone stays in the west. Flames are not a lock. Things could get very interesting in short order.
Ending the season with a California road trip makes me a little nervous.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:01 PM   #3888
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yikes. I'm not superstitious but I don't like talking about the outcome of future games in absolute terms. You must make a ton of money at the sports book.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2017, 01:07 PM   #3889
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default Edmonton is No Good Episode 4: New Rink, Same Stink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Yikes. I'm not superstitious but I don't like talking about the outcome of future games in absolute terms. You must make a ton of money at the sports book.
I am astonished that a 9 point + four team cushion is somehow considered readily negotiable.

Quote:

Last edited by Textcritic; 03-12-2017 at 01:25 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2017, 01:08 PM   #3890
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Have you looked at the schedules of all the teams in question?
Yes. The Flames are making the playoffs.

Quote:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2017, 01:14 PM   #3891
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Ending the season with a California road trip makes me a little nervous.
Meh. We're 4-4 including the 8-3 beat down of Anaheim
Old 03-12-2017, 01:15 PM   #3892
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The only way the Flames miss the playoffs, IMO, is if they go 0-3 against LA.

They need to stay in their lane and get Dougie and Stone as healthy as possible.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:16 PM   #3893
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Agreed, even if the Flames play .500 hockey the rest of the way, that would get them to 94 points, which should be enough to make the dance this season. The other thing to keep in mind is that they currently have a '35' in the ROW column, which is currently better than all the teams chasing the Flames for a playoff berth in the West.
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2017, 01:17 PM   #3894
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
The only way the Flames miss the playoffs, IMO, is if they go 0-3 against LA.

They need to stay in their lane and get Dougie and Stone as healthy as possible.
Yeah this is key.

Even if the Flames went 0-0-3 against the Kings they'd only gain 3 points on us.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:18 PM   #3895
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Yeah this is key.

Even if the Flames went 0-0-3 against the Kings they'd only gain 3 points on us.
The blues would also have to pass us
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2017, 01:26 PM   #3896
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm with Burke on this, never say you're in until you see the little symbol next to your name that indicates that you've clinched.

Hockey is a cruel mistress, and if ol' Mark 'Not Messier Guaranteed' Spector has taught us anything recently, its that much like there is no crying in baseball there are no guarantees in hockey.

'Edmonton is No Good' is about as close as it comes to a guarantee.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 03-12-2017, 01:36 PM   #3897
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I'm with Burke on this, never say you're in until you see the little symbol next to your name that indicates that you've clinched...
Unlike Burke, I am not a Flames executive who has his every word and demeanour under scrutiny by Flames coaches, players and every team in the NHL.

Unlike Mark Spector I am not idiotically making my prediction with 50% of the NHL season left to play.

It is in no way pompous nor presumptuous to expect this team to be in the playoffs. It is with a high likelihood bound to happen this Spring.

Quote:
Old 03-12-2017, 01:44 PM   #3898
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Honestly, though, would you not make the bet on a team in the Flames' position over and over again? If you could bet on said team each year you'd make a very nice profit.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:57 PM   #3899
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Simple question, what is the Flames record down the stretch?

CGY - PIT, BOS, DAL, LAK, @WAS, @NAS, @STL, COL, LAK, SJS, ANA, @ANA, @LAK, @SJS

I see two should wins, then a whole lot of maybes.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:00 PM   #3900
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Simple question, what is the Flames record down the stretch?

CGY - PIT, BOS, DAL, LAK, @WAS, @NAS, @STL, COL, LAK, SJS, ANA, @ANA, @LAK, @SJS

I see two should wins, then a whole lot of maybes.

You're needlessly being a wet blanket in this thread.

Perhaps you could contact Polak and make a "I have a bad feeling about this thread" and keep it in there?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread