Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2022, 11:10 AM   #3881
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I’d change them now and I’d also look at what kind of shape the chain and cassette is in.
Recently replaced chain and large chainring. Miraculously the cassette and small ring was still GTG. Zero skipping issues and marginal wear.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 03:43 PM   #3882
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone have any commuting tires to recommend? Looking for 700c tires for my gravel bike, mostly for commuting on pathways/streets. Hoping to find something that has a bit of tread, but is still relatively fast. I’m coming off some Mavic Allroad 30s that came with the wheels.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 03:52 PM   #3883
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Anyone have any commuting tires to recommend? Looking for 700c tires for my gravel bike, mostly for commuting on pathways/streets. Hoping to find something that has a bit of tread, but is still relatively fast. I’m coming off some Mavic Allroad 30s that came with the wheels.
I used to get a fair number of rear flats, but haven't had one since switching to gatorskins. Plenty fast enough...no particular tread, but they didn't seem at all slippery as I expected from online reviews. I think they'd suck in the winter, but otherwise I just like knowing that they're nearly bulletproof.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2022, 03:58 PM   #3884
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good to hear, as I was thinking about the Gatorskins but was a bit hesitant because of grip. Definitely won’t be using them in ####ty weather much, but just want them to handle a bit of rain if need be.

Anyone have Schwalbe Marathons? They seem like the commuting go to, but also perhaps a bit slow.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 04:16 PM   #3885
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

So a few weeks ago I was grumbling that my LBS charged me $45 to
Fox a broken spoke in my rear wheel of my gravel bike.

Last week I broke yet another spoke; however I now have a Center lock removal tool and a chain whip, so I fixed this myself; however, it took me about an hour by the time I removed the cassette, rotor and the tire and then fed the spoke thru and then reassembled everything

This winter I am buying new rims for both my gravel and mtn bike as I am tired of broken spokes…..
Old 09-11-2022, 05:08 PM   #3886
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Good to hear, as I was thinking about the Gatorskins but was a bit hesitant because of grip. Definitely won’t be using them in ####ty weather much, but just want them to handle a bit of rain if need be.

Anyone have Schwalbe Marathons? They seem like the commuting go to, but also perhaps a bit slow.
I rarely ride in the rain so can't really comment, but I'd consider how often you actually get stuck in the rain here in Calgary AND that tires would be the limiting factor for your speed/safety:

- if it's raining hard, you're probably generally a bit slower
- if you're not dressed perfectly for rain, you're probably a bit slower based on spray

I think I'd rarely find myself thinking "I'd rip a lot faster in this rain if not for my tires". Though I'm sure it's a different story if you live in Vancouver!
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2022, 06:04 PM   #3887
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
I put these on my commuter bike last year:
https://www.bowcycle.com/product/con...c-322385-1.htm

Good tread- not too heavy, and puncture resistant. I've had a couple of "oh crap" moments where I thought I was going to get a pinch flat- but nothing. Including my buddy riding beside me getting two pinch flats.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2022, 07:19 PM   #3888
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I have those tires on my gravel bike as well. No flats at all this year with them.
Old 09-11-2022, 07:28 PM   #3889
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

With fall coming the paths sometimes get slicker from frost (especially metal and wood on some bridge decks or joins). I’d be thinking about something grippier than a semi slick. These days I just run my knobbier gravel tires (or wider cross tires) but have my studded wheelset ready to swap on. For commuting it’s not really a matter of speed but moreso staying upright and avoiding flats.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 10:20 PM   #3890
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw some guys biking down the Smith-Dorrien. How can that be an enjoyable ride with cars kicking up dust clouds constantly?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 06:45 AM   #3891
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reminder to dig your lights out this morning, it is time.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2022, 07:21 AM   #3892
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Saw some guys biking down the Smith-Dorrien. How can that be an enjoyable ride with cars kicking up dust clouds constantly?
I thought the same thing the other weekend when we went and did the Jumping Pound Loop. There were people and families riding up highway 68 from around Pine Grove campground back to the parking lot by the cattle gate. Not only is the dust unbearable but the risk of potentially taking a rock off the body or face must be scary.

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 09-12-2022 at 07:42 AM.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 07:35 AM   #3893
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Where was it? I've ridden up the road from Canmore many times, but that was to get to trails. If it was up by Spray Lakes they may have done a section of the High Rockies trail, and decided to ride back to their car on the road, since it is easier. The dust definitely sucks, I don't ever remember being hit by a rock. That usually happens on the paved roads!
Old 09-12-2022, 07:47 AM   #3894
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Where was it? I've ridden up the road from Canmore many times, but that was to get to trails. If it was up by Spray Lakes they may have done a section of the High Rockies trail, and decided to ride back to their car on the road, since it is easier. The dust definitely sucks, I don't ever remember being hit by a rock. That usually happens on the paved roads!

Yeah it was just north of Chester Lake trailhead, so around that area. I did slow down a couple of times, when I saw people along the side of the road, but the dust and rocks and the washboard road probably create a very unpleasant cycling experience.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 07:58 AM   #3895
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah it was just north of Chester Lake trailhead, so around that area. I did slow down a couple of times, when I saw people along the side of the road, but the dust and rocks and the washboard road probably create a very unpleasant cycling experience.
They must have been coming form somewhere and not had much choice. I'd never ever do it on a weekend.
Old 09-12-2022, 08:41 AM   #3896
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Reminder to dig your lights out this morning, it is time.
Whoo hoo, can't wait to be blinded by the people who need a light as bright as the sun and fail to understand what it does to people coming the other way
Old 09-12-2022, 08:48 AM   #3897
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Marathons are bulletproof. When I still had a bike commute, I got 10,000+ km from them and had 1 flat.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2022, 09:16 AM   #3898
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
Whoo hoo, can't wait to be blinded by the people who need a light as bright as the sun and fail to understand what it does to people coming the other way
Don't forget about the people that strobe their front lights, worse than Hitler.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2022, 09:27 AM   #3899
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
What lumens would you recommend for commuting?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 09:53 AM   #3900
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
What lumens would you recommend for commuting?
I use 2 of these type:

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5061-9...t?colour=Black

One on my handlebar, one on my helmet so I can point it at inattentive drivers/pedestrians. They are 200 lumens each. I don't like really bright lights becuase your eyes adjust and stuff out of the beam range becuase pure black. Also, your tail light does not need to be visible to airliners, strobing like the 80's. They can be blinding too, particularly in bike lanes waiting for lights.