Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 01:12 PM   #3861
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by meritmat View Post
Look dip#### I was thanking him because it a damn hard job, your dealing with todays youth that have a huge sense of entitlement (some not all) parents that blame everybody else for there childs problems instead of looking in the mirror. I don't think there paid enough and no I'm not a teacher.

Stay off your parents computer
Not a teacher? That's weird considering how mindful you are of punctuation, grammar, spelling and proper sentence structure. I guess Caveman High will have to look elsewhere for their faculty.

I guess we should be thankful we are Canadian (I know not all of us, but most). It is apparently very hard for a culture to be self reflective and change. From the outside, it seems so simple and they could start by restricting new gun sales and following Australia's plan of destroying current guns. More expensive ammunition, etc. There are so many things you could do quickly to change things for the better.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:12 PM   #3862
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
A simple solution for gun control in the U.S., loosely based off of our laws:

Constitutional Amendment to re-inforce the 2nd Ammendment with the right to bear arms, with the following conditions that bring the law into the 21st century:
  1. In order to possess a firearm or firearm related parts you must pass a safety course, background check and a mental-health background check, after which you will be licensed to own firearms (and/or parts) for a period of 5 years. After expiration of 5 years you may re-apply for a small fee ($50) at which time another comprehensive background check will be performed. You are also subject to a daily background check.
  2. If you commit a violent crime or commit a crime with a firearm you can never own a firearm again, and your existing firearms will be confiscated at once
  3. Improper and unsafe storage of firearms will be grounds for revocation of the license, confiscation of firearms, and jail time
  4. It is illegal to sell, gift, or transfer firearms to someone under the age of 18, or anyone that is not licensed
  5. No government entity or law enforcement agency can dispossess a legally licensed gun owner from his firearms without cause and due process (i.e. court order)
  6. It is illegal to make threats of violence as a legal owner of firearms. The licensee would be subject to revocation of license and prosecution

In my mind, point E would go a long way to calming down the far right in the U.S.. The argument against "they're going to take our guns away" kind of disappears but they'll always argue that it's a conspiracy etc. etc.

Point F goes to all of these tough guys that talk a big game and make threats, and then you find out that they're in possession of a ####load of guns. At least the police can act on it before something happens.
This is pretty close to what we have here.

Even without this, if the cops went to this kids house and scared the crap out of him, told him that they're watching him at all times, then maybe this wouldn't have happened. I don't know, but just maybe.

Thoughts?
All good ideas, assuming Americans want change. They don't.

That's like you explaining to middle easy cultures why it's bad to oppress women. They have no appetite to change that.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2018, 01:13 PM   #3863
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's absurd that people are missing the only sensible solution to this issue.

It's not changing the 2nd amendment, or making any kind of knee-jerk reactions like sensible gun control, that despite working everywhere else in the world, cannot possibly work in the US.

What they really need to do is do away with article 6 of the constitution. That whole "Separation of church and state" is the real issue.

How can we expect our thoughts and prayers to have any effect with this kind of limiting legislation in place, it really is handcuffing us from making any sort of real change.

If you don't allow prayer in school, how are those prayers supposed to be effective?
Come on America, get on it!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2018, 01:14 PM   #3864
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

CC, agreed.

I think that there would have to be a push for something like this by someone with a ton of political clout, and atmosphere has to be right for something like this to go through.

I'd imagine it would be federally mandated, and administered by the states (i.e. issuing of licenses, etc.) but those details have to be thought out a bit more.

This was my broad strokes brain dump..
Old 02-15-2018, 01:27 PM   #3865
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Strangely, I think the person who could actually try to enact some gun control would be Trump. You just need somebody to get into his ear and lead him towards some solutions. "Hey, Fox news said there a lot of people who are mentally ill and they can get guns. We have no idea what they might do, they could pose a danger to you, what do you think we should do here?"
Old 02-15-2018, 01:31 PM   #3866
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
A simple solution for gun control in the U.S., loosely based off of our laws:

Constitutional Amendment to re-inforce the 2nd Ammendment with the right to bear arms, with the following conditions that bring the law into the 21st century:
  1. In order to possess a firearm or firearm related parts you must pass a safety course, background check and a mental-health background check, after which you will be licensed to own firearms (and/or parts) for a period of 5 years. After expiration of 5 years you may re-apply for a small fee ($50) at which time another comprehensive background check will be performed. You are also subject to a daily background check.
  2. If you commit a violent crime or commit a crime with a firearm you can never own a firearm again, and your existing firearms will be confiscated at once
  3. Improper and unsafe storage of firearms will be grounds for revocation of the license, confiscation of firearms, and jail time
  4. It is illegal to sell, gift, or transfer firearms to someone under the age of 18, or anyone that is not licensed
  5. No government entity or law enforcement agency can dispossess a legally licensed gun owner from his firearms without cause and due process (i.e. court order)
  6. It is illegal to make threats of violence as a legal owner of firearms. The licensee would be subject to revocation of license and prosecution

In my mind, point E would go a long way to calming down the far right in the U.S.. The argument against "they're going to take our guns away" kind of disappears but they'll always argue that it's a conspiracy etc. etc.

Point F goes to all of these tough guys that talk a big game and make threats, and then you find out that they're in possession of a ####load of guns. At least the police can act on it before something happens.
This is pretty close to what we have here.

Even without this, if the cops went to this kids house and scared the crap out of him, told him that they're watching him at all times, then maybe this wouldn't have happened. I don't know, but just maybe.

Thoughts?
Point 1 - Background checks are already required when purchasing a firearm from a dealer. Whether it be at a brick & mortar store or a gun show. Some states also require private sales to be processed through a dealer. The exception here is the states that allow you to skip the background check if you hold a CCW, because it already comes with a background check. With regards to mental health background check, no framework exists for such a background check. Either people will have to open their medical records to the government or find a shrink who is willing to sign off on their mental health, which wouldn't happen without a bunch of consults and costs. The Canadian version of this is a self-declaration that you haven't been diagnosed or treated in the last five years, with further investigation if answered in the affirmative.

Daily background checks are not part of the Canadian licensing model. The continuous eligibility program only compares individuals with interactions with police against the PAL/RPAL list and flags for further investigation if needed. A daily check wouldn't show anything the government isn't already aware of and be a massive undertaking in terms of resources.

Point 2 - Already covered under federal law. Convicted felons can't possess firearms or ammunition.

Point 5 - Doesn't need to be a law since illegal seizure of property isn't allowed now anyways.

Point 6 - Uttering threats is already illegal, you don't need to make another law that prohibits the same action.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:31 PM   #3867
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Amendments require 2/3 of congress and then 3/4 of all States to ratify.
There is an Article V convention process, but that’s never been used.

Simplest solution is repeal the 2nd. This doesn’t make firearm ownership illegal, merely opens the door for real gun control. But America has already decided how it feels about this issue, which is that it doesn’t care.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:31 PM   #3868
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

You want clout then here's the way that you would have to do this, and its the only way this works.

You find all of the richest gun control advocates that you can find. You have them reach out of as many victims as you can and get them to sign off on the idea of a gun control lobby group.

You then have to go out and lobby for support in every city in every state and fund raise like crazy to show that this is a serious movement.

Supposedly the NRA only spends about 3 to 4 million bucks a year on lobbying and campaign support. Who knows if that's true, or what happens behind the scenes.

Anyways, you get the what I call ANRA (Anti National Riflemens association), to spend 10 times that amount of public advertising, campaign contributions, lobbying.

You reach out to every senator or congressmen that's in any kind of danger of losing a election, and you flat out give them money, and campaign expertise.

The wheels of change is always going to be based around money.

Basically if you want to get gun control, you have to buy as many people on both sides of the aisle as popular, and you have to spend a bunch of money on public education and advertising as possible to ensure that the president realizes that if he veto's any passed gun control bill that he'll be facing the wrath of the ANRA and the voters.

In other words, you have to buy Congress and the Senate, oh and the State Legislatures.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2018, 01:34 PM   #3869
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Strangely, I think the person who could actually try to enact some gun control would be Trump. You just need somebody to get into his ear and lead him towards some solutions. "Hey, Fox news said there a lot of people who are mentally ill and they can get guns. We have no idea what they might do, they could pose a danger to you, what do you think we should do here?"
Yeah, this was sort of going to be the one upside to a Trump presidency that hasn't materialized. The thinking being he's not actually a politician, he doesn't need money and he's not really even a republican. You'd think he could take a strong stand on a random issue like this without caring about what side his team is actually on. Hasn't really come to pass, though.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:36 PM   #3870
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Yeah, this was sort of going to be the one upside to a Trump presidency that hasn't materialized. The thinking being he's not actually a politician, he doesn't need money and he's not really even a republican. You'd think he could take a strong stand on a random issue like this without caring about what side his team is actually on. Hasn't really come to pass, though.
Yeah I am not convinced Trump has the personality to see other people's suffering, beyond his personal gain.

In short, I don't reckon he can even spell Empathy.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:41 PM   #3871
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Jimmy Kimmel writer responds to GOP "Thoughts and Prayers" tweets with the amount (in millions) they have received from the NRA.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0058d5565cbac

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-senators.html

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Flashpoint For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2018, 01:43 PM   #3872
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Much respect to these two thoughtful, well-spoken kids. Amazing how calm they both are.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2018, 01:55 PM   #3873
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

I feel like even if the States made sweeping changes today, which I just don't see happening, it would take a hundred years for things to change. There are just too many damn guns, legal and illegal, floating around that the accessibility will not change quickly.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:58 PM   #3874
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
Jimmy Kimmel writer responds to GOP "Thoughts and Prayers" tweets with the amount (in millions) they have received from the NRA.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0058d5565cbac

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-senators.html
Stunning- It's like they don't understand cause and effect, just $$$
Old 02-15-2018, 02:16 PM   #3875
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was really just a matter of time before one of these white supremacist groups actually made an isis-style claim over a violent incident.

https://twitter.com/user/status/964207102200659968
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 02-15-2018, 02:56 PM   #3876
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
Point 1 - Background checks are already required when purchasing a firearm from a dealer. Whether it be at a brick & mortar store or a gun show. Some states also require private sales to be processed through a dealer. The exception here is the states that allow you to skip the background check if you hold a CCW, because it already comes with a background check. With regards to mental health background check, no framework exists for such a background check. Either people will have to open their medical records to the government or find a shrink who is willing to sign off on their mental health, which wouldn't happen without a bunch of consults and costs. The Canadian version of this is a self-declaration that you haven't been diagnosed or treated in the last five years, with further investigation if answered in the affirmative.

Daily background checks are not part of the Canadian licensing model. The continuous eligibility program only compares individuals with interactions with police against the PAL/RPAL list and flags for further investigation if needed. A daily check wouldn't show anything the government isn't already aware of and be a massive undertaking in terms of resources.

Point 2 - Already covered under federal law. Convicted felons can't possess firearms or ammunition.

Point 5 - Doesn't need to be a law since illegal seizure of property isn't allowed now anyways.

Point 6 - Uttering threats is already illegal, you don't need to make another law that prohibits the same action.
The bolded part is incorrect. As a PAL holder my wife and I are both run through the CPIC system (Canadian Police Information Centre system) daily. It's just a fact of life in Canada as a legal firearms owner.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:59 PM   #3877
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
You want clout then here's the way that you would have to do this, and its the only way this works.

You find all of the richest gun control advocates that you can find. You have them reach out of as many victims as you can and get them to sign off on the idea of a gun control lobby group.

You then have to go out and lobby for support in every city in every state and fund raise like crazy to show that this is a serious movement.
Everytown for gun safety + Mike Bloomberg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everytown_for_Gun_Safety
Old 02-15-2018, 03:14 PM   #3878
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
It was really just a matter of time before one of these white supremacist groups actually made an isis-style claim over a violent incident.

https://twitter.com/user/status/964207102200659968

Of course he's wearing a MAGA hat. Why am I not surprised.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:18 PM   #3879
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Of course he's wearing a MAGA hat. Why am I not surprised.
There's going to be a lot more of this as America seems to be descending further and further into tribalism.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:18 PM   #3880
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Everytown for gun safety + Mike Bloomberg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everytown_for_Gun_Safety
Not enough, you want to fight, then you need to fight as dirty as them and have 10x the money.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Closed Thread