Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 04:04 PM   #3781
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
So it is official I am a donkey......I had my cheap dropper post somewhat installed on my bike; however the post was a little long and I could no get it set to where I wanted it - so today I decide I needed to trim about 1.5 inches from the bottom of the post, so I pull out my saw and start cutting after I get thru I realize I just messed up the post and cut away part of the innards......I was so focused on cutting the post, I did not think to look inside......

So, now my options are no dropper, or get a giant contact dropper from my lbs.......fata me!!!
Doh! LOL thats something I would/could do . Get a newer better one and don't tell the wife.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:19 AM   #3782
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going 1x11 on the winter warrior / light XC bike...Shimano M8000 XT. Overkill - yes, but the incremental cost over SLX was marginal. Could have gone 1x10 but the extra range for the light XC part of things might come in handy.

Every major component of this 1998 vintage bike has been upgraded now....
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2016, 11:34 AM   #3783
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Maybe not such a bright question : ), but are studded tires necessary for winter fat bike riding? I'm guessing in icy conditions, it would be a must - just trying to budget as those tires look might expensive.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:22 PM   #3784
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Maybe not such a bright question : ), but are studded tires necessary for winter fat bike riding? I'm guessing in icy conditions, it would be a must - just trying to budget as those tires look might expensive.
I went last year without studded tires on my fat bike and I took one good fall on ice. Depending where you ride but with our record of melt freeze I am planning to get studded tired this year.
The Following User Says Thank You to Timbo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2016, 03:08 PM   #3785
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Studded tires are stupidly expensive and can wear down quickly if you are riding on cleared pavement paths.

Would be nice to get a pair though.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:29 AM   #3786
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Studded tires are stupidly expensive and can wear down quickly if you are riding on cleared pavement paths.

Would be nice to get a pair though.
I've never ridden them and I've done 10 winters or so. My knee was messed up last year, so I didn't experience the ice of last year. I ride mostly path, they clear them pretty well.
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2016, 07:37 AM   #3787
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any idea on how early they get out to clear paths? I'm usually on my ride to work by 0615 at the latest. I'm wondering if the Nose Creek path would be cleared by that time on a typical winter morning.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:08 AM   #3788
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Any idea on how early they get out to clear paths? I'm usually on my ride to work by 0615 at the latest. I'm wondering if the Nose Creek path would be cleared by that time on a typical winter morning.
Probably not (that's the one I ride as well). I've ridden through deeper stuff on that on the way in. Depends on when the snow starts to fall.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2016, 08:15 AM   #3789
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

100% it is cleared before you ride home, though.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2016, 04:40 PM   #3790
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I'm riding home north on 10th st up the SAIT hill, kinda casual, and I see someone coming in my mirror. Oh wow, they are coming quick, maybe I should pick up my pace so I don't look like a putz...still closing.. ugh faster! Oh, it's a girl...WTF? I gotta go man! Stupid pride. Well she blows past me...on an electric bike. Ugh.

I slack off, then see someone else coming in my mirror. Not as fast though, just a guy given'er. This I can handle! I got this! Well, no, I don't. Stupid GD gas motor on this thing putters past me and serenades me with 2 stroke fumes the rest of the way to 10th. Can't comprehend the stink those make.

So the light goes green, and neither of them are going, so I put the hammer down. Maybe I can stay in front! 35km/h hour, that should do it! Those are supposed to be limited to 30km/h, right? Right? I open a gap and celebrate. Too soon. She blows past me at 20th ave, where I have gased out and can only manage 25, though I'm pretty sure she was speeding through the playground zone....Fortunately I kept the gasser behind me until my turn at 24th.

Does no one do it the old fashioned way anymore?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2016, 04:53 PM   #3791
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Be interested in what clothing brands/layers approach people have found that works best for fall and then winter riding?

Would like a full sleeve cycle shirt and full cycle pants to keep riding into the fall and then possibly winter.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:58 PM   #3792
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got some pants at mec that are fairly baggy a few years ago. With long jons underneath they were good to -15. I like the air gap, helps keep the wind from biting. For top I'll wear one or 2 merino wool shirts, a fleece MEC jersey and a wind breaker for -15. That is the worst I had to deal with last year. Oh and toe thingies for the tootsies.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2016, 04:59 PM   #3793
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post

Yes, just get them! After 3 seasons I am still on my first set. I have also bought sets for my trail bikes as I like shoulder season riding on skinny studded tires and Calgary is likely the iciest place you could ever ride when you factor in our Chinooks. If you don't have them you don't ride. Equally great investment as a dropper is.
The Following User Says Thank You to macker For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2016, 05:02 PM   #3794
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Does no one do it the old fashioned way anymore?
I'd rather do it the old fashioned way but I won't crap on them because I may end up on one some day.
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2016, 05:59 PM   #3795
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I'd rather do it the old fashioned way but I won't crap on them because I may end up on one some day.
Ya, it's understandable why people use them(well, not the gas GTFO off the path with those) and the more people out of cars the better, it's just mildly deflating getting dropped by them! And they really should have speed limiters. Speed differentials are the most dangerous part, so when I'm going 15km/h, and someone blows past me doing 35 in a lane wide enough for one, well ,that's a bit of an issue.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2016, 07:25 PM   #3796
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

The gas ones really need to go. I don't hate the ebikes as much because if they help bring more cycling infrastructure I'm all for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2016, 11:22 PM   #3797
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

For winter idling I wear the following:

- dri-fit type shirt that is sort of form fitting
- long sleeve t-shirt, I have a live strong one with a bit of a collar that is snug fitting in the arms and has a little room in the body
- a helly Hansen vest
- I have a pearl Izumi jacket - it has a fleece inner lining and a wind resistant outer barrier
- Columbia Omni heat long underwear
- cycling shorts
- pearl Izumi pants that are a little baggy
- regular pair of athletic socks
- for boots I have a pair of north face snow jogger type boots
- I have a Sugoi Bella-clava
- when it is cold I wear my ski helmet, if it is not bad, I wear my bike helmet
- ski-goggles as I like to have eye protection

I am always a little cold at first and then warm up
Old 09-20-2016, 12:19 AM   #3798
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
For winter idling I wear the following:

- dri-fit type shirt that is sort of form fitting
- long sleeve t-shirt, I have a live strong one with a bit of a collar that is snug fitting in the arms and has a little room in the body
- a helly Hansen vest
- I have a pearl Izumi jacket - it has a fleece inner lining and a wind resistant outer barrier
- Columbia Omni heat long underwear
- cycling shorts
- pearl Izumi pants that are a little baggy
- regular pair of athletic socks
- for boots I have a pair of north face snow jogger type boots
- I have a Sugoi Bella-clava
- when it is cold I wear my ski helmet, if it is not bad, I wear my bike helmet
- ski-goggles as I like to have eye protection

I am always a little cold at first and then warm up
Great suggestions for winter in here. The only think you are missing is the Ton-Ton. A fairly prepared list!
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarywinning For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2016, 06:52 AM   #3799
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ya, it's understandable why people use them(well, not the gas GTFO off the path with those) and the more people out of cars the better, it's just mildly deflating getting dropped by them! And they really should have speed limiters. Speed differentials are the most dangerous part, so when I'm going 15km/h, and someone blows past me doing 35 in a lane wide enough for one, well ,that's a bit of an issue.
And let me guess, no ringing of the bell or "on your left" when passing? Because that's really getting on my nerves, from all cyclists. I thought it might be confirmation bias, so I started counting. Of the last 20 cyclists who have overtaken me (mostly on the bike paths), three rang a bell or gave a verbal heads-up. Three. The most recent jackass who passed without any bell was on the winding, blind-spot heavy stretch of path between Glenmore and the Rockyview Hospital. Convenient for anyone knocked down with a broken wrist or collarbone, I suppose.

You're on notice Calgary cyclists. I'm gonna start calling out non-ringers. Emphatically and unambiguously.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 09-20-2016 at 06:54 AM.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:28 AM   #3800
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Next up, lights. Steady white on the front (no blinking) and I'm good with either steady red or blinking on the back (and have even seen combinations of two lights with one of each).

Thoughts?

Oh and I don't mind blinking white on front during daylight. I'm speaking to low light and dark riding.
Closed Thread