Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2016, 10:31 PM   #361
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Yamer I think the point he's making is that even by your 5/10 rating, no matter how wrong it is , it still puts TWD to shame. I mean if this is a 5/10 then most Episodes of TWD are 1 or 2 at best.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:34 PM   #362
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought it was a pretty standard season opener. Outside of maybe 2 seasons, they've all been pretty slow to start if I remember.

I hope stuff happens this season though. Watching the recap before tonight's episode made me realize how little actually happened during season 5. I never felt compelled to rewatch last season at all.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:35 PM   #363
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Yamer I think the point he's making is that even by your 5/10 rating, no matter how wrong it is , it still puts TWD to shame. I mean if this is a 5/10 then most Episodes of TWD are 1 or 2 at best.
Story-telling between the two are drastically different, as can be gleaned from their source material (fantasy drama novels vs. graphic novels). They have to be taken within their own context.

This episode, within the context and compared against the show as a whole, is, IMO, disappointing. I don't mind a show treading water at points, but not particularly after waiting a year. Had it taken place 3 or 4 episodes in I don't think I would have felt as let down.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:37 PM   #364
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

They really do a terrible job with Dorne. Every scene is like Xena warrior princess cheesy

Everything else is great
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neo45 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2016, 10:43 PM   #365
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Sorry I don't want this to turn into a TWD vs GOT debate and as I started it I would like to end it with this post. You're right, it isn't fair to compare the two shows.

All I was trying to say is that I feel we got even more than is standard for a season opener. The table is set for a lot of story lines to jump forward now in the coming episodes focusing on different ones in different episodes, which I expect will be the case as it has been in previous seasons.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:43 PM   #366
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

The spear through the kids head almost made my wife puke... That made this episode easily a 9/10 for me!

Good opener... Left me wanting much more, except of the old red woman... That almost made me puke.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 11:06 PM   #367
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
Was Melisandre always old portraying a young woman or did she just sacrifice her youth to help someone else?
If she was sacrificing herself to resurrect someone, it would have been a way more intense ceremony. I think it was just the necklace making her look young.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2016, 11:12 PM   #368
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I hoped from more from the opener. Revive Jon Snow so we can stop waiting already! When they returned to Castle Black nearing what felt like the end of the episode, I was prepared for Melissandre to Beric Dondariron Jon. But no, more waiting I guess.

I was a little surprised by the Dorne events. I thought the prince would have been in on the assassination of Myrcella. But nope, he was just a waste of time. So now Oberyn's girlfriend is in charge of Dorne?

Sansa and Brienne teamed up. Had to happen, spent a little screen time on it, but glad that it is out of the way. Maybe Sansa will be be able to do something of importance, vicariously through Brienne.

Tryion and Varys are always a great pair. In an 'set up' episode, their interaction was the most fun to watch.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:02 AM   #369
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

And the casualties have begun to pile up already, starting with the killing off of about 10 million boners at the end there.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2016, 12:03 AM   #370
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

I would like to know how they got an 80 year old women do a full frontal for the show. Or was it just make up and cgi?

I will be having nightmares of her tonight. Cannot be unseen.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:22 AM   #371
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I liked it. I agree, there was a lot of summary/recap but it started off pretty strong.

Among the ones already talked about, the episode had some pretty good foundations to start some storylines.

Jamie Lannister is ready to go! He's going to take charge. He's been wondering and kind of always under daddy's shadow. As alluded to in the trailer, it looks like he is going to become a prominent figure in the south. I believe someone mentioned before that the timeline between book and show was that Jamie never went to Dorne but was learning about war/diplomacy etc. in the army (i think?) he was maturing. I think we see that this season.

I also liked the wall scenes and felt like they are setting the characters up. Davos is perhaps going to lead (for a little while) and then provide council to a new leader, maybe one he believes in that will actually work out.

Melissandre scene was great! she's defeated. I feel like she no longer believes in her powers. She has always been a steady figure - the lord of light will provide a way. But she has since seen two of her figures go down, against her visions. Obviously she will come back and presumably help JS, but its interesting none the less.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:23 AM   #372
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The writing in TWD is steaming trash compared to Game of Thrones. Even if some perceive GOT to be slow, the quality and consistency is far better. This story is a like a slowly unravelling game of risk, with every piece slowly setting up for an ultimate ending of sorts.

Thrones especially would never give us a goldeneye POV style b###-a## cliffhanger death ending to any season. Heads come off, throats get slit, and chests get pierced.

Did people here actually expect them to reveal Jon's fate in the first episode? That was the biggest controversy that kept the public's interest piqued all year. And they're going to blow the load in one episode? Not a chance. That epsiode was great. Exactly what I hoped for in a premiere given GOT's style. #### off and go watch lord of the rings if you want sword on steel action for hours on end an let us real fans enjoy what we know we signed up for.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:32 AM   #373
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
For the first time in a long time, I am completely underwhelmed and rather disappointed at a Game of Thrones episode.

The only interesting or meaningful advancement they made was in Sansa's storyline. Everything else was filler.

Myrcella is dead, Dany met more Dothraki, Jorah has greyscale, Arya is blind, Tyrion and Varys are trying to rule. Great. We knew all that for a year. Give us something new.

The problem is they tried to follow up with every...single...storyline, instead of pursuing a few and giving us that punch to start the season. And they didn't even come close to using the full hour (clocking in at about 47-48 minutes when you exclude the summaries and title sequence).

I guess on the bright side that means we still have the powerful moments yet to come, but that is a punch in the #### to people who had to wait a year for something, anything to get resolved from season 5.

5/10.
You seem like the impatient sort. Have you seen the past 5 seasons and the respective season openers? Seems like you haven't, that's why I ask.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 04:13 AM   #374
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

I enjoyed the episode; it wasn't amazing, nor was it bad.

I haven't liked the Arya story line in a while, still don't. Maybe in the end it won't seem as pointless as it does now.

I like that Brienne/Podrick and Sansa/Theon are together now. Curious what will happen as they head north since there has been the mutiny at the wall.

The King's Landing story line is pretty unappealing, but I think it will get more interesting if Margaery rolls over on her borther and confesses that she lied to protect him.

I enjoyed the Tyrion/Daenerys story line(s), I always enjoy the scenes with Tyrion and the humor they often bring. I think it is interesting that all their ships have been torched and Daenerys was amusing the way she toyed with the guys that captured.

I thought the wall was more or less as expected, but I really liked the ending. Assuming I am interpreting it right and she is a very old and ratchet looking witch and her collar/necklace keeps her appearance young and beautiful.

I'm a bit surprised Tommen didn't make an appearance and that they never touched on Bran's story line in the premiere. I am also hope they show Sam and Gilly this season and don't just make them an afterthought.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:37 AM   #375
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

that Dothraki "what is best in life?" conversation was hilarious, I had forgotten how much I liked watching those guys all the way back in season 1.

though it was kind of abrupt how the Khal backed off after she said she was Drogo's widow. up to that point he didn't seem to believe any of her official titles at all. how does he know she's not just making stuff up? did he hear rumours of some pasty looking lady surviving the Drogo funeral pyre and then made the connection? pretty convenient law they've got there anyhow, for a culture that doesn't normally respect women too much.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:48 AM   #376
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think its the necklace that makes her young. There was a bath scene earlier in the show that she wasn't wearing anything and she didn't revert to Grandma. She's definitely having a crisis of confidence about R'hllor and her abilities. We've seen others bring back the dead using his powers, but she hasn't shown that ability yet.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:32 AM   #377
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Nm
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:42 AM   #378
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I thought it was a pretty standard season opener. Outside of maybe 2 seasons, they've all been pretty slow to start if I remember.

I hope stuff happens this season though. Watching the recap before tonight's episode made me realize how little actually happened during season 5. I never felt compelled to rewatch last season at all.
Yeah I don't recall a GOT season opener that started out like gangbusters so I was totally expecting the episode we got last night. Even at that I didn't think it was slow or anything as it just methodically moved from one storyline to another picking up where last season left off. Only moment I didn't care for was when Jorah just walks up and picks up the ring Daenerys dropped in the field as that's needle in a haystack stuff there and they made it look casual. Other than that great episode.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:50 AM   #379
Suave
Scoring Winger

Exp:

nm
Suave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:51 AM   #380
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yeah I don't recall a GOT season opener that started out like gangbusters so I was totally expecting the episode we got last night. Even at that I didn't think it was slow or anything as it just methodically moved from one storyline to another picking up where last season left off. Only moment I didn't care for was when Jorah just walks up and picks up the ring Daenerys dropped in the field as that's needle in a haystack stuff there and they made it look casual. Other than that great episode.
Not really, you could see the outline of where the horses were and a small undisturbed circle in the middle. It is not out of the realm of possibilities that you find the ring in that situation.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote