Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2013, 08:47 PM   #361
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

The optical place here called digital 'old technology' and said they could still do it, so I'm presuming that knocks the price down some? The price they quote me was the 'new technology' free form lenses.

These frames are the only ones I absolutely loved everything about - how they sat and how they feel. They're very light too, and don't have the heavy thick arms on them - those would drive me crazy, they seem very much like blinders to me.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:18 AM   #362
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesla View Post
That is about right. You can start going even higher if you get into digital or free form lenses. A basic progressive with frame for under $500 is pretty good. Just like anything else, you get what you pay for and going with the cheapest option is usually not the best option.
What do you think about a service like ClearlyContacts? I have been using them to order my contacts ever since I discovered them as the prices were about 2/3 of what I was paying at my optometrists. And they have crazy deals on glasses sometimes, even giving away pairs for free (plus shipping), so you can pay anywhere from $20-$300+ for glasses. Does this type of service hurt your sales do you think? Do enough people know about it to have it hurt you? Maybe it's not there yet, but does the potnetial of a service like that scare you a bit (obviously people need to get their prescriptions still, I don't know how much of your business is actually selling glasses, etc..)

Is the product of a lower quality somehow, or is it just the structure (low costs for the company for having a purely web-based store)?
Old 08-01-2013, 08:34 AM   #363
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
What do you think about a service like ClearlyContacts? I have been using them to order my contacts ever since I discovered them as the prices were about 2/3 of what I was paying at my optometrists. And they have crazy deals on glasses sometimes, even giving away pairs for free (plus shipping), so you can pay anywhere from $20-$300+ for glasses. Does this type of service hurt your sales do you think? Do enough people know about it to have it hurt you? Maybe it's not there yet, but does the potnetial of a service like that scare you a bit (obviously people need to get their prescriptions still, I don't know how much of your business is actually selling glasses, etc..)

Is the product of a lower quality somehow, or is it just the structure (low costs for the company for having a purely web-based store)?
There was some good discussion earlier in this thread about it but it is a get what you pay for type of thing.

With contact lenses you are getting a box from the same factory whether you buy it online or from the Optometrist. So it does come down to the price there. However if you factor in service, convenience, and replacement contacts if you lose/rip one there are benefits to getting them from a store. Another thing to consider is that costs in-store have been driven down, due to the market, and often prices are comparable now.

When it comes to glasses lens quality is worse online and measurements more inaccurate. Those with mid to high prescriptions and progressives rarely have any success online. Many of my patients are back buying glasses from us after going online once. I guess it comes down to what you want out of your glasses. Occasional use vs full time use, fashion and peripheral vision requirements will all factor in.

We have to embrace the competition online and use it to better our product and our service. The worse thing for patients is if we "race to the bottom" and try to give up quality in exchange for price.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #364
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Why are my lenses so freakin' expensive? It's insane. Like $450-$500. Just for the lenses. Is that actually how much it costs to make the lenses for astigmatism? Or is there a huge mark-up?

I can't even get lenses online because my prescription isn't offered.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #365
Knut

Exp:

If you can't get them online then it is because you need high index (super thin lenses ). Unfortunately the manufacture of high astigmatism lenses is difficult and measurements need to be precise.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #366
fuffalo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Where's a good place to go for eye exams and glasses? My girlfriend has been looking around and some places are charing 130+ for just an exam. Is that normal? Any suggestions?
fuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #367
Pontine
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

How often do I need to be fitted for contact lenses (originally got fitted in 2004 and haven't changed my lenses since)? I had an eye exam a couple weeks ago, and they would only give me my glasses prescription but wanted to charge me $39 to get fitted for contact lenses to get that prescription. My original fitting was with this office.

My glasses prescription changed slightly to -4.25 (OD) and -4 (OS).

I ended up scheduling an appointment with Costco, where they aren't charging a fee.
Pontine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:24 PM   #368
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I got my new glasses today. I decided to go with the Progressives since I was going to end up there anyway.

Does the nausea go away quickly? Please say yes.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #369
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
So I got my new glasses today. I decided to go with the Progressives since I was going to end up there anyway.

Does the nausea go away quickly? Please say yes.
It will take a few hours to a few days... and likely a few weeks to completely adapt to them.

Give it time and do not give up... You will love them once you get used to them
Old 09-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #370
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hesla,

Sometimes (usually when I don't get enough sleep over a period of days /amateur diagnosis) my eye lid can get a twitch that lasts for upwards of a week or two. It just pulses every so often. I think its just the lack of sleep in these instances but thought I'd see if there's any precedence for anything a little more serious.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #371
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Hesla,

Sometimes (usually when I don't get enough sleep over a period of days /amateur diagnosis) my eye lid can get a twitch that lasts for upwards of a week or two. It just pulses every so often. I think its just the lack of sleep in these instances but thought I'd see if there's any precedence for anything a little more serious.
Nothing serious causes minor eyelid twitches, absent of other symptoms.

Most likely causes..

1) Change in Nicotine consumption
2) Change in Caffeine consumption
3) Lack of Sleep
4) Stress
5) Eye Strain
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #372
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

This might be a really stupid question (and apologies if I'm like the 12th person to ask it as I didn't read the thread), but can I just go into a lenscrafters or the like and get an eye test followed by some reading glasses? I'm in the US, if that matters.

My vision has definitely gone downhill the last few years (distance is blurry, particularly after a full day staring at a screen and reading documents), and I plan to get the full tests done soon, but I have a trip coming up and would like to actually be able to see the Eiffel tower when my eyes are tired so I was thinking that might be a decent short term fix. If I pop on my GF's glasses I can see much clearer, but would actually like to get the proper glasses (and perhaps more manly frames).
Old 09-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #373
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
This might be a really stupid question (and apologies if I'm like the 12th person to ask it as I didn't read the thread), but can I just go into a lenscrafters or the like and get an eye test followed by some reading glasses? I'm in the US, if that matters.

My vision has definitely gone downhill the last few years (distance is blurry, particularly after a full day staring at a screen and reading documents), and I plan to get the full tests done soon, but I have a trip coming up and would like to actually be able to see the Eiffel tower when my eyes are tired so I was thinking that might be a decent short term fix. If I pop on my GF's glasses I can see much clearer, but would actually like to get the proper glasses (and perhaps more manly frames).
Most Optometry places offer 1 hour service on glasses too. You can always pop into an office and state that you want just your prescription checked and that you will book the full test later. Honestly though, it only takes an extra 10 or 15 minutes to get the full test done right away.

Do not waste your money doing a quick check/cheap specs when you are just going to get a good pair later.
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2013, 03:13 PM   #374
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
We had our daughter checked before she started Kindergarten. We were surprised to find out that she had a lazy eye, since she could easily see better than either of us, even with our glasses on. It turned out, she was basically only using one eye. She got glasses, and we have patched her good eye in the last couple of months, and now her poor eye is seeing much much better. According to the doctor, the correction is likely permanent, which is awesome. It's a good thing we had her checked, though.
I had the exact same thing as a kid. Caught it in grade two, patched the lazy eye in the evenings for a while (can't recall how long...months maybe). By grade 4 i was told I didn't need glasses anymore any my lazy eye was on-par with my good eye. So, I stopped with glasses and by, say grade 8, I was back to having a noticeable difference in eye strength (lazy eye).

Not sure what I'm saying here...stay on top of it maybe?
Old 09-10-2013, 03:20 PM   #375
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdFerguson View Post
I had the exact same thing as a kid. Caught it in grade two, patched the lazy eye in the evenings for a while (can't recall how long...months maybe). By grade 4 i was told I didn't need glasses anymore any my lazy eye was on-par with my good eye. So, I stopped with glasses and by, say grade 8, I was back to having a noticeable difference in eye strength (lazy eye).

Best way to catch it is to have their eyes tested at 6 Months and 3 years old.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #376
bradster57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Do you ever deal with chalazions? I got one the other week. My doctor said to wait it out as it should drain on its own, but when should I look at other options (lancing it off). Also, is there anyway to prevent these?
bradster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #377
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdFerguson View Post

See all that patch wearing and you're in the same boat as me who has been sans-eye patch my whole life. It's all a scam by Big Eye-Patch companies.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #378
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have 20/20 (thank god) but my fiance is blind as a bat. Her she goes to tanning beds and says her contacts block out UV rays. Should she still wear those goggle things?
Old 09-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #379
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
I have 20/20 (thank god) but my fiance is blind as a bat. Her she goes to tanning beds and says her contacts block out UV rays. Should she still wear those goggle things?
I know Hesla will answer but this intrigued me, so I looked it up, as I had never heard of contacts blocking UV so it sounded fake, turns out some do. However from http://www.acuvue.com/products-acuvu...aclear#protect

Quote:
‡ Helps protect against transmission of harmful UV radiation to the cornea and into the eye. WARNING: UV-absorbing contact lenses are NOT substitutes for protective UV-absorbing eyewear such as UV-absorbing goggles or sunglasses because they do not completely cover the eye and surrounding area. You should continue to use UV-absorbing eyewear as directed
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hanni For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #380
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradster57 View Post
Do you ever deal with chalazions? I got one the other week. My doctor said to wait it out as it should drain on its own, but when should I look at other options (lancing it off). Also, is there anyway to prevent these?
Eyelid hygiene

J and J Baby Shampoo diluted 10-1 in Water. Rub on the eyelids a few times a week with a warm facecloth.

Warm Compresses nightly (Warm Cloth)

If you wear contacts, ensure they are thrown out when they should be.