Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Leagues and Games > Calgarypuck's Connected GM League > Archives
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 10:03 AM   #361
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:

9/10 people won't play you in HUT if you amass a decent team. Can take upwards of 20 mins to get a game most nights... so lame.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:43 PM   #362
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Hey Jobo, throw me on the list please for ps3. Looks like you have enough gms but if someone wants to start another gm connected league or if aspot opens up, i will gladly play. Thanks.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #363
FlyingDonutz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayems View Post
9/10 people won't play you in HUT if you amass a decent team. Can take upwards of 20 mins to get a game most nights... so lame.
Yeah I had a 5 star team full 90s.. nobody played me lol

PM me if you need a new Sig! 100 percent free of charge!
I got the moves like Miikka, I got the moves like Miikka
Old 08-27-2012, 10:15 AM   #364
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D View Post
'Player GM' vs 'Press Box GM'

Clearly the dilemma that seems to be facing this league is that we have a mixed bag of Sim and Player GM's whom disagree on how to create an even playing field to appease each type of GM.

A possible solution;

'Player GM's' suit up strictly versus Human competition (meaning no Human vs CPU games)

Since the majority of GM's in these leagues will be Player GM's, finding an on ice versus game will come out to a possible 2 out of every 3 league games played, and going off comments made in this thread, it sounds like even 'Player/GM's' will sim a good portion of games, so those games against Press Box GM's could be the chosen games that are simmed over an 82 game season, equalling approximately 50+ available games to choose from per season, for Player GM versus Player GM on ice play.
I don't want to limit users from playing the game if they want to. they invested $60 into purchasing it, and are involved in the game mode that's intended to have users make use of gameplay. No one is gonna be able to play every game, especially if this league goes at a fast pace so we can go through multiple seasons, but any user should be able to participate in any game they wish; even if it's against the CPU, where the game should still be challenging anyway.

Quote:
Allstar or Superstar suggestion;

If a 'Player/GM' deems an opponent unbeatable, they could choose to be a 'Press Box' (sim) GM for that game. The opponent deemed 'unbeatable' would then also become a Press Box GM for that game and would need to rely solely upon their GM'ing abilities determined by the depth, strength, and strategies of their organization in order to win games consistently.
If a user doesn't feel their skill matches their opponent, then they have to put faith in their coaching/AI to challenge the opponent if they want to play the game. Again, players shouldn't be held back from playing the games if they want too.

This game mode shouldn't alienate the sim crowd if you're not going to play the games anyway. You still carrying our your tasks as normal. But it shouldn't penalize or restrict the playing crowd. Having users dictate when a player can or cannot play would be extremely annoying and likely turn them off from the league.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #365
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
I don't want to limit users from playing the game if they want to. they invested $60 into purchasing it, and are involved in the game mode that's intended to have users make use of gameplay. No one is gonna be able to play every game, especially if this league goes at a fast pace so we can go through multiple seasons, but any user should be able to participate in any game they wish; even if it's against the CPU, where the game should still be challenging anyway.

If a user doesn't feel their skill matches their opponent, then they have to put faith in their coaching/AI to challenge the opponent if they want to play the game. Again, players shouldn't be held back from playing the games if they want too.

This game mode shouldn't alienate the sim crowd if you're not going to play the games anyway. You still carrying our your tasks as normal. But it shouldn't penalize or restrict the playing crowd. Having users dictate when a player can or cannot play would be extremely annoying and likely turn them off from the league.
This is big for me. If I miss the playoffs by a single game I want to know it was my fault and not because the cpu screwed up on my behalf.

I'm curious to how this will work. If Jobo and I have a game scheduled and he says that he's just too busy to play at any point in the next couple days what is the exact process for moving forward? If we agree that I'll play the computer controlling his team, does he need to be active in the process? Ideally he could just message me and tell me to have at it and I could initiate everything on my end. It would concern me if he needs to actively go into the game and confirm that the cpu is controlling his team.

Last edited by Russic; 08-27-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #366
likwid888
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
This is big for me. If I miss the playoffs by a single game I want to know it was my fault and not because the cpu screwed up on my behalf.

I'm curious to how this will work. If Jobo and I have a game scheduled and he says that he's just too busy to play at any point in the next couple days what is the exact process for moving forward? If we agree that I'll play the computer controlling his team, does he need to be active in the process? Ideally he could just message me and tell me to have at it and I could initiate everything on my end. It would concern me if he needs to actively go into the game and confirm that the cpu is controlling his team.
I believe game times are all pre-set and it is up to you to show up on time if you want to play/coach. You probably just join a "dressing room" before your game begins, similar to EASHL. If you don't show up, then it automatically sims your team. This is all just my speculation, but seems logical to me.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #367
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

This is going to be such a good time. Ive always wanted a be a GM but live style. I was skipped over if updates have been made to the list over the past few days. If not, this is just a reminder that I am in for Xbox 360

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Old 08-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #368
bspec
Backup Goalie

Exp:

It depends on the round length that the commissioner set up. If the round length is set to 1 week (which is what it will likely be for our league), then any games within that week can be played. So if you want, you can play all of your games for the week in one day I believe.

You don't have to show up at a specific time to play a specific game, but you do have to make sure you're both online if you want to play against another person's team. If not then you'll just be playing/coaching against his AI.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:01 PM   #369
likwid888
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspec View Post
It depends on the round length that the commissioner set up. If the round length is set to 1 week (which is what it will likely be for our league), then any games within that week can be played. So if you want, you can play all of your games for the week in one day I believe.

You don't have to show up at a specific time to play a specific game, but you do have to make sure you're both online if you want to play against another person's team. If not then you'll just be playing/coaching against his AI.
So you can just log in and play another GM's team even if that GM didn't want you to play their CPU team?
Old 08-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #370
bspec
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid888 View Post
So you can just log in and play another GM's team even if that GM didn't want you to play their CPU team?
Actually, looking at the GM Connected trailer, it might look like you can choose. Andy Agostini said that "The commissioner can choose to set the scheduled time periods... League members can then play any game within the scheduled time period at any time they want."

However looking closer at the clip that they showed, it appears you can set which games you want to play and which games you want the AI to play. Took a screenshot from the clip below.

Spoiler!

See the small circles on the right, I believe the GM managing Detroit will be playing that game.

Last edited by bspec; 08-27-2012 at 04:27 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bspec For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2012, 04:05 PM   #371
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

That looks pretty cool. Ideally once you set that you could just walk away and an opponent that wants to control his team against you could do so at his leisure.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:46 PM   #372
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heads up, going to make the official PS3 league thread either tomorrow or Wednesday, depending on the speed of feedback reception.

I figure the deadline to sign up would be by release day (Sept 11th), which is when the league(s) will be created on the EA servers so you guys can login. That'll give us several days to do the team selection draft(s), which honestly shouldn't take that long. On the Friday, September 14th, the league will be active and you'll get your randomized roster, giving everyone two days to overlook their player personnel and make any adjustments they see fit. The season will officially begin on Monday, September 17th. So from the 11th to 16th, it can be considered pre-season to get you guys use to the game.

One bad news I have is that there isn't custom slider settings this year. So we can only work with the skill level and play type.

These are my preliminary league settings. Give me your feedback, especially on the settings highlighted in red.

Skill Level - All-Star
Play Style - Hardcore
Period Length - 5-10 Minutes
- Personally I'm leaning on 10 since 5 minutes is too short for games that actually matter. Is 10 to lengthy though? Perhaps a happy medium of 7?
Overtime - Continuous OT
- considering we don't have to care about player fatigue here like in real life, we can pull this off and make team execution decide the game

Season Round length - 1 league week per 2/3 days
- This would be fairly fast paced, meaning there's a chance there will be a great number of simmed and Human/CPU games, but it would allow for us to have upwards to possibly 4 or more seasons this year. With a 2 day pace I estimate a season would be completed within 3 months, where as 4 with 3 day.
Transaction Approvals - Daily
- I considered doing this per week advancement, so players rosters would generally be consistent for all 5 games, but with injuries that can contradict that concept.

Playoff Round Lengths - 3 Games
- Or would 5 be better? 7 I think would be too long.
Playoff Overtime - Continuous OT

Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited by Joborule; 08-27-2012 at 04:55 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #373
bspec
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Period Length: I'd be happy with 7 minute periods; 5 seems short and 10 is a bit lengthy.
Playoff Round Lengths: I'm leaning towards best-of-5 series. It's longer, but we'll get to form good rivalries and it'll be much more rewarding when you're successful.

Everything else I agree completely with. Just to clarify the Season Round Length, 1 league week per 3 days means we'll have a week's worth of games to play through and after 3 days will the Commissioners be in charge of simming any unplayed games?
Old 08-27-2012, 04:58 PM   #374
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is the app out or whatever it was they were using so you can follow the league on your phone?
Old 08-27-2012, 05:02 PM   #375
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspec View Post
Everything else I agree completely with. Just to clarify the Season Round Length, 1 league week per 3 days means we'll have a week's worth of games to play through and after 3 days will the Commissioners be in charge of simming any unplayed games?
Correct.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:04 PM   #376
Conman57
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Those settings sound good. Just one noob question though: What's the difference between hardcore and the default play style?

I'm on my phone but I'll try to keep the spelling mistakes to a minimum, sorry if I miss any!
Old 08-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #377
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conman57 View Post
Those settings sound good. Just one noob question though: What's the difference between hardcore and the default play style?
Hardcore settings sets the gameplay at a style much more oriented to a realistic hockey experience; meaning slower skating, less accurate and more bobbled passes, heavier players (not as easy to knock down when checking), etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #378
secol
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

6 or 7 mins
cont. OT
1 week per 3 days
5 game playoffs
Old 08-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #379
FlyingDonutz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yup I like those settings - 7 minute periods sound great.

PM me if you need a new Sig! 100 percent free of charge!
I got the moves like Miikka, I got the moves like Miikka
Old 08-27-2012, 08:58 PM   #380
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who's running the 360 one ?
Closed Thread

Tags
connected gm , ea sports , nhl 13 , online dynasty , video game