Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2024, 12:25 PM   #341
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Markstrom has been good in 2 of 4 years here. Yes - if you disqualify the two bad years for injuries and a kid - then yes he's been good the entire time. If I disqualify the two good years because of reasons - then he's been bad the entire time. I'd prefer to just count all 4 years.

And I'd also add - in 1 of the good years, he completely imploded against the Oilers in the playoffs.
No, he was well in the injury year, except for the period in which he was still playing hurt. And his year still wasn't "bad". At worst it was mediocre for his standards. Last year was unequivocally a bad year. But it's his only actually bad year. And in the POs you reference he won a series against a very hot goaltender.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 12:26 PM   #342
SemicolonD
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Conroy values keeping the room together and having competitive games down the stretch and so trading Marky had to always be an overpayment in a trade but I’m not sure I agree with that philosophy.

The most valuable assets we’re gna have this year and the next is our own draft pick. You trade Markstrom yesterday so you can finally improve this years pick, or in the summer latest so that we don’t pick outside top 10 next year and lose the pick.

Like always though we’re stuck trying to balance two opposites, we trade UFAs like Tanev for full futures but now we want to ADD a depth D. As fun as the Hartley comeback year was, sneaking into the playoffs and beating the Canucks damaged any rational long term thinking and led to hasty moves by Treliving who overestimated our progress in the rebuild. Same thing happens this year if we sneak into the playoffs, ownership doesn’t take into account that we had Hanafin and Tanev majority of the season, and then the mandate is to keep chipping away half assed at a retool.

We have NO current or future superstars and we’ll never get one without a high pick. This team is destined to keep picking in the 10-16 range, and in an effort to stay competitive will lose next years 16th pick to Montreal if they stay this course.
SemicolonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 12:28 PM   #343
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk12 View Post
I think you can probably interpret what Markstrom said in two ways:

1. He's frustrated with all of the trade noise and the fact that he hasn't been dealt yet, and has told management he is not waiving this year so that he can just focus on hockey.

2. He's frustrated with all of the trade noise and is now 100% open to being dealt right away.

Given the rumour that Calgary has pulled Markstrom out of trade talks, my guess is it's the first one, and we will wait until the summer, when Markstrom will definitely be traded.
I'll go with option 2 because the baseline for option 1 is founded on a FourthPeriod rumor that has been essentially debunked by LeBrun since it was made.
Old 03-01-2024, 12:36 PM   #344
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trading him is not the right move he's playing lights out. If flames can squeak into the playoffs, his play could take them on a run like Bob with the panthers. I don't know if his contract is up soon but i hope Connie what's until we are mathematically eliminated or they clinch first
Old 03-01-2024, 12:36 PM   #345
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I'll go with option 2 because the baseline for option 1 is founded on a FourthPeriod rumor that has been essentially debunked by LeBrun since it was made.
Oh that's good to know. Hopefully we get a deal done now that retention doesn't seem to be an issue anymore.
RedHawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 12:36 PM   #346
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
Conroy not looking great in this respect. I know he is a good guy, but remarks like this from a well respected guy that choose to sign here is damaging.
It's apart of the business. Markstrom wanted that NTC, so he can't be upset when he's approached about potentially waiving it.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HighLifeMan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 12:37 PM   #347
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_Gimp View Post
Trading him is not the right move he's playing lights out. If flames can squeak into the playoffs, his play could take them on a run like Bob with the panthers. I don't know if his contract is up soon but i hope Connie what's until we are mathematically eliminated or they clinch first
That’s a lot of if’s, trade him now and make them pay big!
Calgary Flames #1 St. Louis Cardinals #1
Gaudreau is a Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 12:38 PM   #348
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

On the one hand Salim is a moron and his paraphrase is bull#### and out of context. Markstrom’s comments were so tame.

Scummy media and dramatic fans reading way too much into a pretty innocuous comments. Of course it could have been handled differently. They could have traded him. Or maybe he’s already spoken to management and it’s all cool now between them. There’s no indication of any animosity. But clickbait loser reporters are gonna do their thing.

On the other hand, we should trade him. We need to find out if Wolf has what it takes and the haul we can get for Marky could help the rebuild.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 12:41 PM   #349
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Make the trade.
Get the assets and improve our own draft position by the inevitable rest of the season fall off all at once.
This is a serious opportunity that could have major franchise changing impact.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 12:43 PM   #350
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

So is "up top" Conroy...or Edwards?
Old 03-01-2024, 12:44 PM   #351
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If the Devils have recently re-engaged in negotiations around Markstrom, maybe the Flames are just holding off until after Saturday's game so that Marky can play in the game celebrating Kipper, his childhood hero?
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 12:46 PM   #352
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_Gimp View Post
Here is the Flames defense, after trading Hanifin:

Kylington-Andersson
Gilbert-Weegar
Oesterle-Pachal

you can sub Solovyov, Kuznetsov and Poirier into that mix, but it won't make any difference. It will be almost impossible for Markstrom to drag them into the playoffs, and even if he could, it would be a complete waste of 8 days.

Not going to happen. So it's better to trade him.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 12:47 PM   #353
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, if this was Salim playing up nothing then the guy that needs to go is Salim.

What a dope. The team doesn't need this #### right now.
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 12:49 PM   #354
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Wow, if this was Salim playing up nothing then the guy that needs to go is Salim.

What a dope. The team doesn't need this #### right now.
That was his tweet but it was actually Francis who asked the question.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 12:50 PM   #355
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Flames are keeping Markstrom for the rest of the season

Julian has the full quote:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1763639575522775499

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 12:52 PM   #356
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really not sure where the Salim hate comes from. Him and Francis are the only ones who have the gall to ask tough questions every now and then. Rest of them love being chummy with those around the team.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 12:53 PM   #357
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Well if that is in fact the quote I think a trade is probably very very imminent.
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 12:58 PM   #358
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

with all due respect to the players, here and the ones that have been traded the standings have dictated how things have been handled. Team was given more than enough chances to prove if they were good enough.
Old 03-01-2024, 01:00 PM   #359
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
I understand the logic, but I would sell high.
I wouldn't read anymore into it than this is Conroy simply working the market and trying to drive the price up.

If the offer is there he's going to move Markstrom now.
Old 03-01-2024, 01:00 PM   #360
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

#### show
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote