Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2016, 08:39 AM   #341
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

It is not ground breaking in any way. It is basically an animated gif - which was introduced nearly 30 years ago. But one still must credit the ability of Apple's marketing team to present such an old, mundane feature in such a way that the pretentious fools Apple markets too thinks it is some wonderful breakthrough.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2016, 09:13 AM   #342
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't realize it was out for awhile, I saw an add last night for it, and had remembered seeing something after the Apple conference yesterday. Thought they were related.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:14 AM   #343
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

anyone have the Galaxy S7 yet?

Reviews seems to be very good, and I'm thinking of making it my next phone.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:15 AM   #344
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
anyone have the Galaxy S7 yet?

Reviews seems to be very good, and I'm thinking of making it my next phone.
I got the S7 Edge last week and love it so far. I would say the largest improvement is the battery life. I am a heavy user and am still at 60% when I go to bed at night. I'm not sure if that's attributed to the device itself or Marshmallow, but the improvement is noticeable. Bringing back the sd card is really nice and the camera/screen is incredible as expected.

I should note that I don't care for touchwiz and use Nova launcher.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:03 PM   #345
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think my biggest gripe with iPhone 6S+ would be battery life- but that being said, it is lightyears ahead of my old 4S which I'd have to charge too.

If I could make it through the day on a full charge, that'd be nice. I think I likely could on iPhone, but I hate keeping low screen brightness and monitoring stuff in order to get it to last the full day.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:45 PM   #346
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am exactly the same, Redvan. I actually committed this time around to not "screw" with the OS in any way. No battery saver apps, no app killers, no messing with a bunch of obscure settings. Just Marshmallow out of the box. I have been massively surprised at how well everything is working. At this point, I am not entirely sure that it's the new OS that is making the difference, or that my efforts to improve battery life actually made things worse.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:59 PM   #347
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I finally am enjoying the benefits of long lasting batteries!

For about the last year and a bit, my phones have been able to last atleast a day per charge.

iphone 6 (work phone) - I charge it on Sunday and Wednesday. It is used Mon-Fri for ~10 calls a day and ~10 emails a day.

Samsung S6 (personal) - I charge it every night, however it usually still has 10% left. I listen to ~2 hours of music/podcasts, talk/text, browse forums, and watch the odd youtube videos.

I've owned a lot of Apple, Samsung, LG, and other big players' phones and I am finally enjoying nice battery capacity.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:27 AM   #348
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

My opinion on mobile has changed a lot lately.

Phones now are too big. Yeah, I have a 5.7" Lumia 950XL, and I'm kind of over big phones. I'd be happier with the form factor of my old Samsung Omnia 7 (OG WP7 phone) or the iPhone 5/5s/SE. Hell, even the Lumia 920. They fit into pockets, cupholders, etc. without being a nuisance, or bending, and they had great battery life since they weren't trying to pump 1080p/1440p resolutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
It is not ground breaking in any way. It is basically an animated gif - which was introduced nearly 30 years ago. But one still must credit the ability of Apple's marketing team to present such an old, mundane feature in such a way that the pretentious fools Apple markets too thinks it is some wonderful breakthrough.
More likely an MP4 file. Windows Phone 8.1 introduced this as 'Living Images' back in 2014.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 03-24-2016 at 11:34 AM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote