Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2014, 09:34 AM   #341
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

And the quiet conquest is about to end, Russia feels good enough about their forces there to move to the next level.

I bet they've dug a ton of trenches and laid a bunch of mine fields as well.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:38 AM   #342
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
And the quiet conquest is about to end, Russia feels good enough about their forces there to move to the next level.

I bet they've dug a ton of trenches and laid a bunch of mine fields as well.
Are landmines still allowed? I thought all developed nations nixed those back in the Princess Diana days
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:39 AM   #343
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Are landmines still allowed? I thought all developed nations nixed those back in the Princess Diana days
haha, "allowed". You're not allowed to invade another country, so what makes you think Russia cares.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2014, 09:42 AM   #344
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeGeeWhy View Post
US coup?
Actually this is more on the mark than you might think...

The US was supporting the revolution in the Ukraine (yes...the ousted President WAS a thug more on that in a moment).

How would the US feel if Russia was supporting revolution in Mexico or Canada? That is how the Russians feel.

Anyways, my point is that the US foreign policy that is a big part of this situation is not well understood in the west.

Google 'Dan Carlin Common Sense' poking the bear episode

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fozzie_DeBear For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2014, 09:44 AM   #345
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

So what does Ukraine do today?
  1. Pull out as many troops from Crimea as possible to shore up defenses on main land Ukraine
  2. Stand and fight a battle they will surely lose against Russian forces in Crimea
  3. Hand over all weapons and surrender all military personnel on Crimea

It is probably very difficult to get out of Crimea at the moment and unlikely the Ukrainian forces will be able to do a hasty retreat.

Last edited by worth; 03-03-2014 at 09:50 AM.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2014, 09:47 AM   #346
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This is insane. I understand that Russia got away with their invasion of Georgia, but they must be aware of the consequences for everyone if a war breaks out.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Savvy27 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2014, 09:48 AM   #347
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Russia never signed the anti-landmine agreement (nor did the US or China).

When the world's biggest super powers aren't on board, then it isn't worth the paper it is written on.

Here is a list of countries that have not signed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...gnatory_states
Old 03-03-2014, 09:51 AM   #348
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The 1997 Ottawa Treaty banned anti-personnel landmines. Currently 161 nations have ratified the treaty, but notable countries that have not signed it include Russia, China, and the United States. AFAIK, no treaty has ever been enacted to ban anti-vehicle mines.

[Edit] Beaten by FlamesAddiction above.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2014, 10:06 AM   #349
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Russian media report the ultimatum only by quoting Ukraine sources, like Ukraine claimed they were told to surrender. Russians themselves haven't confirmed it yet. Deadline is 5 AM local time and it is about 19-00 now. They have a night
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:09 AM   #350
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointman View Post
Russian media report the ultimatum only by quoting Ukraine sources, like Ukraine claimed they were told to surrender. Russians themselves haven't confirmed it yet. Deadline is 5 AM local time and it is about 19-00 now. They have a night

Pointman, What is the take on this by your social circle?

You I assume are a fairly good example of the average Russian.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:09 AM   #351
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
So what does Ukraine do today?
  1. Pull out as many troops from Crimea as possible to shore up defenses on main land Ukraine
  2. Stand and fight a battle they will surely lose against Russian forces in Crimea
  3. Hand over all weapons and surrender all military personnel on Crimea

It is probably very difficult to get out of Crimea at the moment and unlikely the Ukrainian forces will be able to do a hasty retreat.
Combine 1 and 2, Troops will be pulled back, they can try to engage the Russians, but make no mistake the 6000 troops in the Ukraine are a trip wire and nothing else. If one Russian boy gets splattered, you'll see at least one army group on the move by the end of the day from the Russian Western Military district, and they'll shoot for the whole country.

There will be Ukraine soldiers who are onside with the Russians (it would be like testing the loyalty of French Canadian Soldiers if Quebec Separated), they'll go over to the Russian side of things.

The landmine issue isn't an issue, simply because Russian's are pragmatists in this case, they're kill multipliers and they slow down enemy militarizes, and they're great in terms of preventing shore landings if it comes down to it.

Beyond the G-8 suff and some sanctions, there's nothing that's going to happen, Obama isn't going to go to the Ukraine's defense, and I guess I can't blame him, this isn't the 80's cold war U.S. Military, while its still formidable its not the Fight two wars, a holding action and a major Peace keeping mission at the same time U.S. Military. Its more along the lines of fighting one war and one holding action U.S. Military and its going to get drawn down even further then that.

Even George Bush wouldn't be crazy enough to do anything on the Military side.

The only thing that would make sense would be to send in arms to the Ukraine through their Nato Allies, and some "training personal' I think the Russian's used to call them volunteers. Maybe slip some special forces groups in to help with intelligence gathering.

But at the end of the game, expect a major part of the Ukraine to simply be folded into the loving embrace of Mother Russia.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:15 AM   #352
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Russia declines any such ultimatum was issued.
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:17 AM   #353
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Of course they do, but it will come out at a unit level, that way the government can deny it.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:59 AM   #354
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

When is the last time the United States has had a president who is this weak on foreign policy? How can Obama and his advisors be this naive? Putin already made a fool of him with the Syria situation and he's doing it again here. It's downright embarrassing.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:00 AM   #355
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

NATO has signed agreements with the Ukraine, in exchange for them giving up their nuclear weapons, that indicate that NATO will assure Ukraine's sovereignty and territorial integrity.

This could get messy if Russia goes off the deep end.

Huge thanks to Dion for the signature!
Nehkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:02 AM   #356
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
When is the last time the United States has had a president who is this weak on foreign policy? How can Obama and his advisors be this naive? Putin already made a fool of him with the Syria situation and he's doing it again here. It's downright embarrassing.
I find it hard to call a President weak on foreign policy when he's authorized non-stop flying assassination machines on foreign soil. Misguided and poorly prioritized would be more accurate. You'd also have to compare it to the last president who came into office with the country fighting two wars.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2014, 11:06 AM   #357
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nehkara View Post
NATO has signed agreements with the Ukraine, in exchange for them giving up their nuclear weapons, that indicate that NATO will assure Ukraine's sovereignty and territorial integrity.

This could get messy if Russia goes off the deep end.
I highly doubt the Americans would sail a carrier battle group into the Black sea (as a show of force). Thus limiting them to aerial power projection.

Capn', your take?
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:07 AM   #358
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Love all the keyboard hot shots calling Obama weak.

Let me guess, you'd be first in line to volunteer to fly the drones into Crimea?

It's 2014. There is a thing called diplomacy.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:09 AM   #359
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
WTF do you want Obama to do, start a war with Russia? How is that in anyone's interests?

As CaptainCrunch posted above, not even GWB would be that stupid.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:09 AM   #360
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I find it hard to call a President weak on foreign policy when he's authorized non-stop flying assassination machines on foreign soil. Misguided and poorly prioritized would be more accurate. You'd also have to compare it to the last president who came into office with the country fighting two wars.
That was Obama that came into office with the USA already fighting two wars. Bush was the one that started those wars.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corruption , dictatorship , historyrepeats , pinkocommies , protest , putinomics , soviet expansion