Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2016, 11:05 AM   #341
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

- Lining up every single putt for 5 minutes
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2016, 11:56 AM   #342
EuKnoLikeMonny
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Does anyone here have experience with the Inglewood golf course? Looking at a membership there, 2000 bucks, but it is on my way to and from work, (live downtown, work in foothills industrial), so would be awesome to have a membership to go play a few when you want as twilight, and free range (aside from playing 18 holes at least once a week).

Thoughts?
EuKnoLikeMonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:20 PM   #343
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuKnoLikeMonny View Post
Does anyone here have experience with the Inglewood golf course? Looking at a membership there, 2000 bucks, but it is on my way to and from work, (live downtown, work in foothills industrial), so would be awesome to have a membership to go play a few when you want as twilight, and free range (aside from playing 18 holes at least once a week).

Thoughts?
Its an ok course, with the biggest benefit for many being its location. Very flat course with absolutely no elevation changes, lots of trees, old course feel. They are definitely overpriced on their day rate, but not sure what the twilight price is? Certainly better than the Silverwings, Heather glens, or municipal courses. Is 2000$ the annual with no restrictions? If so, I'd say that is a pretty good price.

Of course, the biggest thing to consider, imo, is how easy is it to get a tee time. I am not entirely sure on this, but I think it might be a little more difficult at Inglewood.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:41 PM   #344
EuKnoLikeMonny
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Thanks Flabbibulin,

Location is huge for me, I feel like this is the only course I would go to on my way home, and I could easily see myself spending 3-4 days a week there, playing a full 18 one day, maybe range another day, and then maybe just jumping on alone for a twilight after.

Yeah I think the only restriction from talking to them was can't golf before 12 PM on Saturdays which would be fine, thinking 90% of the time I'd be an afternoon golfer anyways, when it's a little less jammed.

Playing it tonight though for the first time so will feel it out!
Old 04-18-2016, 01:35 PM   #345
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuKnoLikeMonny View Post

Thoughts?
For 2 grand, it is a good deal. If you average 1 round a week, you'll make your 2 grand back and anything above that is bonus/discount. You are right that location is key. The biggest advantage about joining a club is that you just need to show up and you can get a round going with minimal effort. So you'll end up playing more rounds than without a membership. And the staff will learn your name and you get to feel like being part of a community.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:17 PM   #346
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

The one semi-private course you never seem to hear anything about is Calgary Elks Club. Anyone have feedback?
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:18 PM   #347
EuKnoLikeMonny
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Thanks DarkLord,,

I think I would like the twilight games, I have no problem playing alone (actually kind of enjoy it), so getting in some range time as well I think I can make it worth my while.

My buddies wont be getting a membership, but 4 of them have each purchased a 10 round pass there for $600 bucks so I think I'll be able to get somebody to come golf more often than not.

Thanks for(e) the input!
Old 04-18-2016, 02:19 PM   #348
EuKnoLikeMonny
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
The one semi-private course you never seem to hear anything about is Calgary Elks Club. Anyone have feedback?

I know a friend that all of his co-workers play there, apparently the cost is super reasonable the course is decent apparently. Never thought about there!
Old 04-18-2016, 02:55 PM   #349
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Played wildstone in Cranbrook on weekend. They do the 10 minute tee spacing and it was booked solid and we played in 4:10. Not bad for a Sunday on a hilly course. Decent early season condition. Greens pretty shaggy and slow though.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 03:19 PM   #350
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
I have played there in the past - I think it will provide most golfers with a good test.

at the time I believe the green fee was $90'ish and at the time I recall thinking for that price I like sirocco more.
Old 04-18-2016, 03:20 PM   #351
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Played wildstone in Cranbrook on weekend. They do the 10 minute tee spacing and it was booked solid and we played in 4:10. Not bad for a Sunday on a hilly course. Decent early season condition. Greens pretty shaggy and slow though.
10 minutes seems pretty close - walk fast and be ready to drop balls I guess
Old 04-18-2016, 05:47 PM   #352
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Golf prices are completely out of control, in my opinion. Most golfers on the weekends grab a cart, play 18, and have a couple drinks. When you factor in all of that, I don't understand how people do it, honestly. You'd have to think if one of these places below dropped their rates to the $95-99 range, they'd be packed all day long. People would also be more willing to drop money in the restaurant after. I think $100 is a psychological barrier for me personally but clearly not everyone agrees. I am happy to pay over $100 for a top quality experience but honestly, Redwood Meadows is the only place on this list that I'd consider to be that.

18 holes with cart on weekend:

Heritage Pointe - $135
GlenEagles - $130
Lynx Ridge - $125
Wintergreen - $125
Valley Ridge - $122
Elbow Springs - $120
Redwood Meadows - $117
Calgary Elks - $116
Blue Devil - $114
River Spirit - $110
Inglewood - $109
Springbank Links - $108
Sirocco - $105

Unless you're on the East side of the city or willing to drive an hour out of the city in a direction other than West... you're looking at $105-135 a round. That blows me away.

Last edited by malcolmk14; 04-18-2016 at 05:49 PM.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2016, 05:54 PM   #353
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
10 minutes seems pretty close - walk fast and be ready to drop balls I guess
10 minutes is pretty much standard, and I would say that should allow the group ahead to almost fully clear the first hole by the time the next group plants their first tee in the ground.

Some of the public courses in town alternate between 8 and 9 minutes on weekend mornings.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:06 PM   #354
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last post, with regards to the pace of play issue...

If I am buying a membership somewhere, I am buying at a private club with a strict pace of play policy that enforces 4 hour rounds or thereabouts.

The problem with a public or even semi-private course is you get some slack jawed hackers out there on Saturday morning pounding drinks and playing for 25 cents a stroke, lining up every putt and searching for balls like it actually means something. Then when a Marshal tells them to pick up the pace, they tell him to #### off. What is that 74 year old retiree/volunteer supposed to do?

No one at the course is going to go out there and get into an altercation with some tough guy who thinks his time is more important than everyone else's. The number of times a season staff could ask people to leave the property is staggering but yet no one will do it because it's not worth getting punched.

Or you get people who play 3 or 4 rounds a year (because golf is so expensive) and because they are dropping $6-700 that day for their foursome to play, they want to take their time and they don't think about all of the people they are inconveniencing.

Or you get people who hit the ball 47 yards off the tee (except for that one time) and refuse to a) hit when the group ahead is 220 away and b) pick their ball up after a shot or two and drop it up inside the 100 yard marker. These people also can't fathom having the short hitters in their group move up tees, and hit first.

If I'm dropping significant money to play golf, I'm going all the way and going somewhere I don't have to worry that my round might take 6 hours. I know that it'll take 4:00, 4:15 at the most, and if it doesn't, I actually have recourse.

Last edited by malcolmk14; 04-18-2016 at 06:09 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2016, 06:41 PM   #355
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Golf is the most irritating thing ever. But I love it so much.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:49 PM   #356
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
Golf prices are completely out of control, in my opinion. Most golfers on the weekends grab a cart, play 18, and have a couple drinks. When you factor in all of that, I don't understand how people do it, honestly. You'd have to think if one of these places below dropped their rates to the $95-99 range, they'd be packed all day long. People would also be more willing to drop money in the restaurant after. I think $100 is a psychological barrier for me personally but clearly not everyone agrees. I am happy to pay over $100 for a top quality experience but honestly, Redwood Meadows is the only place on this list that I'd consider to be that.

18 holes with cart on weekend:

Heritage Pointe - $135
GlenEagles - $130
Lynx Ridge - $125
Wintergreen - $125
Valley Ridge - $122
Elbow Springs - $120
Redwood Meadows - $117
Calgary Elks - $116
Blue Devil - $114
River Spirit - $110
Inglewood - $109
Springbank Links - $108
Sirocco - $105

Unless you're on the East side of the city or willing to drive an hour out of the city in a direction other than West... you're looking at $105-135 a round. That blows me away.
What really blows me away? Most of these courses are still full or close to it even with those absurd prices. When Kananaskis was open it was I think $90 with a cart for Alberta residents. Damn I'm gonna miss that value when it comes back and prices inevitably go up. Twilight is almost the only way to golf on a budget.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:54 PM   #357
newts
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
Last post, with regards to the pace of play issue...

If I am buying a membership somewhere, I am buying at a private club with a strict pace of play policy that enforces 4 hour rounds or thereabouts.

The problem with a public or even semi-private course is you get some slack jawed hackers out there on Saturday morning pounding drinks and playing for 25 cents a stroke, lining up every putt and searching for balls like it actually means something. Then when a Marshal tells them to pick up the pace, they tell him to #### off. What is that 74 year old retiree/volunteer supposed to do?

No one at the course is going to go out there and get into an altercation with some tough guy who thinks his time is more important than everyone else's. The number of times a season staff could ask people to leave the property is staggering but yet no one will do it because it's not worth getting punched.

Slow play infuriates me, but you can't avoid slow golf, it doesn't matter where you go. I've been a member at a semi-private club, now a member at a private club. There are always slow play issues. Our club mandates 4:10 or less, but you still get some slow rounds on a nice afternoon on a weekend. Marshalls don't exist at my course, and I haven't seen any at other private courses I've played. Country club, you're likely guarantee a sub 4 hour round due to the limited play it gets.

Best time to play anywhere is before 9am. Most guys willing to go that early know what they're doing and will maintain the right pace.

I get in ~50 rounds a year, and 90% of the time I'm either playing before 8am, or after 3pm. This is the best way to get around quickly or reasonably.
newts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:56 PM   #358
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Golf is the most irritating thing ever. But I love it so much.
It might be irritating but you always have one great shot in each round that keeps you coming back.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:00 PM   #359
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since we're complaining about slow play, what's everyone's fastest round for 18, par 70 minimum? I've gotten a couple done in 2:25 (2 other players), but when it's open I can usually do around 3:10 or less.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:02 PM   #360
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by newts View Post
Slow play infuriates me, but you can't avoid slow golf, it doesn't matter where you go. I've been a member at a semi-private club, now a member at a private club. There are always slow play issues. Our club mandates 4:10 or less, but you still get some slow rounds on a nice afternoon on a weekend. Marshalls don't exist at my course, and I haven't seen any at other private courses I've played. Country club, you're likely guarantee a sub 4 hour round due to the limited play it gets.

Best time to play anywhere is before 9am. Most guys willing to go that early know what they're doing and will maintain the right pace.

I get in ~50 rounds a year, and 90% of the time I'm either playing before 8am, or after 3pm. This is the best way to get around quickly or reasonably.
That is so true. The later the tee times the slower the rounds go. Anything after 11:00 am is unbearable.

The other problem is courses being able to find marshalls that will actualy enforce the pace of play. Most of them just smile and say hello to everyone while they continue thier on going search for lost golf balls.

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow