Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 01:56 PM   #3521
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
That's ridiculous. The guy has a 62 point pace over the entirety of his career. He scored 76 points before McDavid was playing in Juniors. We are now going to argue that his worst season statistically was a boost from McDavid? Wow.

McDavid did affect his stats...negatively, but not as much as Draisaitl. He was no longer top line through most of the season, he played with Hopkins and Lucic or Pouliot for a large amount of the time on the second line. As the second line, his ice-time was sharply reduced. From nearly 20 minutes in years before to under 17. PP time was greatly affected compared to his time playing on the top line with Hall a couple seasons ago. From 3:00+ to under 2:15. Of course he saw time with McDavid, but being replaced by Draisaitl had a far more negative affect this year. And Draisaitl would replace any team's top right winger except for Chicago, Tampa and St. Louis.
You keep bringing up the career ppg. Bottom line is the last three years, which are prime years, he hasn't hit those mark. He got buckets of points early because the Oilers didn't have any structure and cheated for offense.
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2017, 02:00 PM   #3522
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
You keep bringing up the career ppg. Bottom line is the last three years, which are prime years, he hasn't hit those mark. He got buckets of points early because the Oilers didn't have any structure and cheated for offense.
Last 3 years?

He had 63 points, better than his career average, three years ago. The guy fought injuries last season and still put up a 30 goal pace. It's also funny that you say I keep bringing up career ppg while you bring up his last 3 years. My post about which right wingers have outscored him was about the last 3 years...Lol
Quote:
Here's a complete list of right wingers who have outscored Eberle over the last 3 years:

Kane
Tarasenko
Kucherov

You didn't even know who he played with this season, but you sure are adamant that you know more about him.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 05-03-2017 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:07 PM   #3523
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Last 3 years?

He had 63 points, better than his career year, three years ago.

You didn't even know who he played with this season, but you sure are adamant that you know more about him.

Last 3 years have been 63, 47, and 51. His career year is 76 points. I'm just reading his career numbers off NHL.com. I don't see where you are getting that 63 points was better then his career year of 76.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:11 PM   #3524
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Last 3 years have been 63, 47, and 51. His career year is 76 points. I'm just reading his career numbers off NHL.com. I don't see where you are getting that 63 points was better then his career year of 76.
That was corrected to career average.

The guy put up 63 points in 2014-2015. Better than his career average.

In 2015-2016 he put up 25 goals in 69 games, a 30 goal pace, again better than his career average, while fighting through injury.

This season, as Draisaitl stole his spot on the top line, he put up 51 points. A noticable dip in his career average, but nothing crazy. Yet somehow this is the year we say he got boosted by McDavid? What?!?! I mean that's got to be the worst logic I read on CP.

In those three years, he's still the 11th highest right-winger scorer according to NHL.com. We aren't talking about Cheechoo drop here.

I mean, look there's a lot of reasons to criticize Eberle, a lot. I would start at his pricetag, although really it's not that crazy in my opinion. But comparing him to Versteeg, saying he was boosted this year by McDavid - a year where he had his worst season pace statistically - just doesn't make any lick of sense.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 05-03-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:25 PM   #3525
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

12th highest, over the last 3 seasons, but who cares about one spot. Last 2 seasons he drops to 19th. Point is those players he is ahead of on a sum of 3 years will be passing him. At the end of next year if you do the same 3 year snapshot he will struggle to stay in the top 20.

His ppg is trending the wrong way in his prime years.

2014-2015 - .78
2015-2016 - .68
2016-2017 - .62
Old 05-03-2017, 02:39 PM   #3526
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That was corrected to career average.

The guy put up 63 points in 2014-2015. Better than his career average.

In 2015-2016 he put up 25 goals in 69 games, a 30 goal pace, again better than his career average, while fighting through injury.

This season, as Draisaitl stole his spot on the top line, he put up 51 points. A noticable dip in his career average, but nothing crazy. Yet somehow this is the year we say he got boosted by McDavid? What?!?! I mean that's got to be the worst logic I read on CP.

In those three years, he's still the 11th highest right-winger scorer according to NHL.com. We aren't talking about Cheechoo drop here.

I mean, look there's a lot of reasons to criticize Eberle, a lot. I would start at his pricetag, although really it's not that crazy in my opinion. But comparing him to Versteeg, saying he was boosted this year by McDavid - a year where he had his worst season pace statistically - just doesn't make any lick of sense.
You don't think playing with the winner of the Art Ross and potentially the Hart, and Ted Lindsey winner isn't going to boost your numbers? I think someone mentioned that he played 40% of the season with McJesus. Even if you are conservative and say he only benefited 5 extra points playing with him that would drop him to .56ish ppg.

Point is he had his worst season pace statistically playing a significant chunk of the season riding shotgun with the Art Ross winner.Without that time playing with McLottery his worst season pace statistically would be lower than it was.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:40 PM   #3527
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
12th highest, over the last 3 seasons, but who cares about one spot. Last 2 seasons he drops to 19th. Point is those players he is ahead of on a sum of 3 years will be passing him. At the end of next year if you do the same 3 year snapshot he will struggle to stay in the top 20.

His ppg is trending the wrong way in his prime years.

2014-2015 - .78
2015-2016 - .68
2016-2017 - .62
But so uhh, what's your argument? He's trending downwards this last seasons while at the same time being boosted by McDavid for the past 2? Don't see the logic flaw there? Wanting to bake your cake and eat it too.

Also, he's about to be 27 in a couple weeks, so it's not unusual for a player like him to take a hit statistically at this point. You keep saying these are his prime years, but really the "average" player is past his prime scoring rate at Eberles age, which is often in the early to mid 20 range.

http://www.tsn.ca/pinning-down-a-pla...years-1.388514
Quote:
Generally, a forward is most dominant in his early to mid-20s.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/when-nhl-play...rics-1.2646054
Quote:
Brander's team also found that forwards:

25 is their most common age, with 24-27 very similar.
Which again, a fair argument against Eberle if someone wanted to argue that he's trending down. Great, I mean I would suggest waiting to see if he can get back on the top line especially with a new team, but sure I can see the argument and maybe even agree. But this stems from comparing him to Versteeg and Brouwer and saying he was boosted by McDavid. Both are pretty stupid arguments.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:44 PM   #3528
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But so uhh, what's your argument? He's trending downwards this last seasons while at the same time being boosted by McDavid for the past 2? Don't see the logic flaw there? Wanting to bake your cake and eat it too.
Without taking sides that's not a flaw in logic. It's saying his downward trend would have been even more pronounced had he not been propped up.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2017, 02:51 PM   #3529
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You don't think playing with the winner of the Art Ross and potentially the Hart, and Ted Lindsey winner isn't going to boost your numbers? I think someone mentioned that he played 40% of the season with McJesus. Even if you are conservative and say he only benefited 5 extra points playing with him that would drop him to .56ish ppg.

Point is he had his worst season pace statistically playing a significant chunk of the season riding shotgun with the Art Ross winner.Without that time playing with McLottery his worst season pace statistically would be lower than it was.
Except Draisaitl rode shotgun with McDavid..at least for more of the season.

If Draisaitl didn't exist, your argument would be fair. But Eberle took a back seat to Draisaitl and McDavid's top line.

His time on ice took a hit, before he was playing 20 minutes a game. Now he's playing 16 minutes. Before he was getting 3+ minutes of PP time, now he's getting 2 minutes. Seasons prior saw him starting 36% of the time in the offensive zone, this season he was at 31%.

This is all indication of being removed from the top scoring line, an obvious fact if you watched him at all this year. Something you didn't do at all this year, but for some reason are really adamant that you know more about Eberle for some reason.

If the Flames got Crosby and Ovechkin in the off-season, and started playing them 20+ minutes a game, giving them 4 minutes of PP time, starting them in the offensive zone every chance they got, do you think Gaudreau would benefit statistically if he had his time on ice and role reduced significantly?
Old 05-03-2017, 02:56 PM   #3530
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Jordan Eberle thread?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2017, 03:00 PM   #3531
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So to recap...

Blah Blah Blah, Eberle, Blah Blah Blah.

Take it to the Coiler's page!!!
Old 05-03-2017, 03:04 PM   #3532
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
His time on ice took a hit, before he was playing 20 minutes a game. Now he's playing 16 minutes. Before he was getting 3+ minutes of PP time, now he's getting 2 minutes. Seasons prior saw him starting 36% of the time in the offensive zone, this season he was at 31%.
No point making stuff up that can be easily checked. He never averaged 20 mins a game in a season.

2015-2016 17:51 TOI/GP 2:38 PP TOI/GP
2016-2017 16:46 TOI/GP 2:14 PP TOI/GP
Old 05-03-2017, 03:05 PM   #3533
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan403 View Post
So to recap...

Blah Blah Blah, Eberle, Blah Blah Blah.

Take it to the Coiler's page!!!
I just it to be known that I don't even want the speculation of Eberle joining the Flames.
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2017, 03:09 PM   #3534
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

This Versteeg-Eberle argument is rather like the obverse of the old "5 Giordanos on the Oiler blueline" argument, except now the Flames homers are the ones being ridiculous.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:27 PM   #3535
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Also, he's about to be 27 in a couple weeks, so it's not unusual for a player like him to take a hit statistically at this point. You keep saying these are his prime years, but really the "average" player is past his prime scoring rate at Eberles age, which is often in the early to mid 20 range.

http://www.tsn.ca/pinning-down-a-pla...years-1.388514

http://www.cbc.ca/news/when-nhl-play...rics-1.2646054
VERY selective quote from that second article, considering it says several times that peak age is 28 and players perform within 10% of their peak from ages 24-32.

While I agree that this whole thing is ridiculous and Eberle is just a lower tier first line paid like an upper tier one, suggesting that he's passed his peak as an excuse for his number is ridiculous and wrong. He's just a 50-60 point winger, plain and simple.

(also better than Versteeg and Brouwer, let's stop being stupid)

Last edited by PepsiFree; 05-03-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:41 PM   #3536
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2017, 04:17 PM   #3537
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No point making stuff up that can be easily checked. He never averaged 20 mins a game in a season.

2015-2016 17:51 TOI/GP 2:38 PP TOI/GP
2016-2017 16:46 TOI/GP 2:14 PP TOI/GP
Sorry, you've entirely missed my point. His ice time was reduced since Draisaitl came along (the 2 seasons you listed). Had you looked at the years before that (19:02, 19:32, 18:59) you'll notice his ice time has significantly taken a hit since then. He played nearly 3 minutes less a game this year compared to 2014. It's not really up for debate, and certainly isn't made up (unless you really feel the need to argue that 19:32 shouldn't be rounded up). Not that the numbers really matter, the argument is that he's lost his spot on the "all-offense" top line that he once had with Hall and friends. He's taken a back seat because of Draisaitl and McDavid tearing it up, so of course they get the better offensive opportunities. This is quite apparent if you had watched any games this season for the Oilers.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 05-03-2017 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:31 PM   #3538
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
The problem with analyzing Eberle's numbers are that for most of those 60+ point seasons, the Oilers were playing with virtually no structure or discipline. Offense was encouraged and backchecking and defense were optional.

For the first time in year, the Oilers have system play, and Eberle's numbers drop. RNH's numbers drop. Are these players as good as their numbers indicate or was it just a reflection of one way hockey?
No, that's them getting secondary minutes due to McDavid, Lucic and Drai. And he still outscored Luc.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:07 PM   #3539
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Ryan Kennedy‏ @THNRyanKennedy
Boston is entertaining offers for pending RFA Ryan Spooner. I've heard New Jersey, Vancouver and Vegas as potential destinations.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:28 PM   #3540
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Ryan Kennedy‏ @THNRyanKennedy
Boston is entertaining offers for pending RFA Ryan Spooner. I've heard New Jersey, Vancouver and Vegas as potential destinations.
2nd round pick aka Jim Benning special.

They've got two of them this year, so makes sense. Just not sure what the expansion draft implications are on the Canucks end.