Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2015, 02:40 PM   #321
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone done the Iceline trail? Thinking of going in Sept if there's any availability left. Wondering which is the better campground. Laughing Falls or Yoho?
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:41 PM   #322
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Anyone done the Iceline trail? Thinking of going in Sept if there's any availability left. Wondering which is the better campground. Laughing Falls or Yoho?
Definately little yoho or the acc hut.

Laughing falls is 5k from the start or the end.

Little yoho also lets you hike pack less into the kiwinawok pass which I think is a must do.

You can have a fire at laughing falls but outside of that there is no reason to stay there.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2015, 07:49 PM   #323
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG
Laughing falls is 5k from the start or the end
Thanks. Didn't have a Yoho topo map to check the distance. Yoho it is.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:05 AM   #324
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bump.

I'm not a really experienced hiker, and we're doing Lady Mac this weekend with some friends. I'm looking at photos and it looks absolutely beautiful, but also kind of intense. We'll be in no rush and I'm in pretty decent shape, but I'm wondering if this hike is a little too advanced for me. Can anyone who's hiked to the top give any insight? Should we think about doing something different?
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:10 AM   #325
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Since this thread has been bumped...

1. I was hiking out in Waiparous last month. Took a wrong turn driving to the trail head and stumbled upon a bunch of people firing off guns doing target practice. When I got to the top of Mockingbird, all I heard from all directions was guns going off every 30 seconds. What's the deal? Is it a well known target practice place?

2. How do you pronounce Waiparous?

3. Are there any trails around Calgary outside of the mountains? I'm thinking things like Brown-Lowery and the Cross Conservation Area. Is there anything like that to the north/east/south of Calgary within a 1-2 hour drive?
Old 04-29-2016, 11:12 AM   #326
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

2. I think 'Wipe-ress'. That's how I've always said it.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:27 AM   #327
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
2. I think 'Wipe-ress'. That's how I've always said it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waiparous
According to this, it's wai pras.

I agree with you. I believe I have heard "wipe-press/wiper us" all my life though.

@Cameron: #3 Depends what type of trail? How about Dinosaur national park east of Drumheller?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:58 AM   #328
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Bump.

I'm not a really experienced hiker, and we're doing Lady Mac this weekend with some friends. I'm looking at photos and it looks absolutely beautiful, but also kind of intense. We'll be in no rush and I'm in pretty decent shape, but I'm wondering if this hike is a little too advanced for me. Can anyone who's hiked to the top give any insight? Should we think about doing something different?
It's a fairly steep grind, and can be hard on the knees coming down. I've actually never been to the top though, I always stop where it levels out. Their used to be a teahouse and a heli-pad there(got a free ride down once!). If you consider that your goal, and anything above a bonus you won't be disappointed. I know it gets a little sketchy right at the top, and I think its about 1.5 hours further from where I stop.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2016, 12:09 PM   #329
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think the plan is to go right to the top, including the knifes edge part (totally depending on the conditions). I'll be bringing my hiking poles, so not too worried about my knees. Hopefully there isn't a lot of snow up there right now.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:41 PM   #330
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Bump.

What do you mean "experienced hiker"? You hike a little bit none of the big and long trails or generally don't hike at all?

My buddy has invited me out to this one, but I've never gone to it yet. I've been trying to convince the wife to go and she seems interested. I believe my buddy said the major difficulties of this hike would involve not being properly prepared (boots/shoes, clothing, food water etc.) or taking it at a pace that is much too quick for an individual or group's ability.

My mom did this one just this last summer and she doesn't really hike. If I recall correctly I also believe she did this hike in running shoes and took nearly 7-8 hours to complete it. I also believe she ended at the tea house, so didn't go all the way to the knife edge. She was sore for almost two weeks. I still don't know why the heck she did this hike, but I guess you can definitely over come this hike based on sheer will power if you're a newbie.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:46 PM   #331
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think the plan is to go right to the top, including the knifes edge part (totally depending on the conditions).
There's a bit of exposure on that ridge. Not horrible but not sure what your comfort level is.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:05 PM   #332
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Bump.

It's about 1300 meters in elevation gain so unless you're specifically training for that sort of exertion you'll have sore quads, sore shins and an empty gas tank. You might be gasping a lot if you haven't been specifically walking up hills to train. Biking, running, playing soccer....chump change compared to this steady uphill plod. But people jump on this one first thing in April all the time so I have no doubt you'll make it.

Stopping at the heli pad kind of sucks. But the ridge is sketchy. Lots of people have pitched off the top to their deaths below. It's not that bad but I wouldn't muck around in bad weather either.

If you want a similar challenge in a similar location you could do centennial ridge from dead man's flat. Instead of ending at a chopper platform the same distance on this trail gets you to Jubilee Tarns, a pretty little hanging valley where you will definitely be alone. Nicer, easier trail as well but no less a grind.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2016, 01:08 PM   #333
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

I generally don't hike at all (didn't get out once last year, haven't been out this year), but I have been on a couple big ones in the last five or so years. I have no doubt I'll be sore for days, but after every other big hike I've done, it's been completely worth it. From what I've heard this one will be worth it too. I have all the gear.

kunk: what do you mean by exposure? Like wind, sun, etc.?
Old 04-29-2016, 01:13 PM   #334
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post
Since this thread has been bumped...

1. I was hiking out in Waiparous last month. Took a wrong turn driving to the trail head and stumbled upon a bunch of people firing off guns doing target practice. When I got to the top of Mockingbird, all I heard from all directions was guns going off every 30 seconds. What's the deal? Is it a well known target practice place?

2. How do you pronounce Waiparous?

3. Are there any trails around Calgary outside of the mountains? I'm thinking things like Brown-Lowery and the Cross Conservation Area. Is there anything like that to the north/east/south of Calgary within a 1-2 hour drive?

There is a range in or around Waiparous that was in the news recently because people shoot all kinds of stuff there and leave a lot of garbage behind. Apparently they shoot some explosive targets as well and nearby residents are concerned about fire, as well as other fairly obvious concerns (death or severe injuries from people doing something stupid).

I've been to the Cross conservation area and there are trails there. Its nice. and there are some nice vistas...but I just prefer the mountains. I don't know much about the trails except that they're there and you can go for some nice walks.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:15 PM   #335
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Lots of people have pitched off the top to their deaths below.
Haha source?
Old 04-29-2016, 01:17 PM   #336
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Falling hazard on either side.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:23 PM   #337
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Haha source?
The Alex Jones show. One CIA hit job. And two shadow government assasinations since 2000. Sure it's only been three but and hiker fatalities are kind of unusual in k country.

Actually forget about centennial ridge. Closed until Jun 15.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:43 PM   #338
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
The Alex Jones show. One CIA hit job. And two shadow government assasinations since 2000. Sure it's only been three but and hiker fatalities are kind of unusual in k country.

Actually forget about centennial ridge. Closed until Jun 15.
The infowars guy?! Haha, this is the last thread I expected that guy to be referenced in. OK, maybe second last but YLYL was closed a long time ago!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
V
Old 04-29-2016, 01:44 PM   #339
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I generally don't hike at all (didn't get out once last year, haven't been out this year), but I have been on a couple big ones in the last five or so years. I have no doubt I'll be sore for days, but after every other big hike I've done, it's been completely worth it. From what I've heard this one will be worth it too. I have all the gear.

Slip and die.

Do not attempt the ridgeline if there is any snow/ice on there.

Being afraid of heights I have never attempted the ridgeline as the exposure is too much for me. The hike up to the ridgeline is worthwhile on its own.

In good condition, without a fear of heights its just a walk on a two foot wide path. Wet or snowy you are asking for trouble.

Here is a good picture of the final ridge walk.

http://bobspirko.ca/Canmore/MtLadyMa...Macdonald.html
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2016, 01:53 PM   #340
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Slip and die.
That might be a tad dramatic, but I'll agree with perhaps not doing it in snow.

Tags
backcountry , backpacking , hiking , tenting , wilderness