Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 08:03 PM   #321
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh yeah, and Cow even if you aren't an audiophile having digital sound is part of HD and TVs don't do it justice. Having a sound system, preferably 5 to 1 or 7 to 1 connected from your satellite box or Blue Ray DVD player by a toslink cable will make movie or football game much more enjoyable.
So don't bother worrying about how the TV sounds as it's speakers should only be used for watching the news.

Last edited by Vulcan; 12-02-2007 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:02 AM   #322
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Having a sound system, preferably 5 to 1 or 7 to 1 connected from your satellite box or Blue Ray DVD player by a toslink cable

Again, novice questions . . . . what are we referring to with "5 to 1 or 7 to 1?" What's a "toslink cable?"

Thanks again for your input.

Cowperson
Old 12-03-2007, 10:30 AM   #323
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

5.1 and 7.1 are what I think he was referring to, both of those are a surround sound speaker arrangement.

5.1 referrs to 5 speakers (left front, centre, right front, left side and right side) and one subwoofer, while 7.1 is 7 speakers (left front, centre, right front left and right side, and two behind) and a subwoofer. Basically recreates a theatre sound system in your own home.

A toslink cable is a way of connecting an audio source (such as a satellite box, a DVD player, etc) to your receiver (amplifier and such for the above speakers). It's actually a fiber optic cable.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:59 AM   #324
photon

Exp:

Yeah for 10-12 feet I'd say 47-50" would be plenty big, if not almost too big. A 40" might be big enough. Grab a tape measure and cut a few pieces of paper or cardboard to the size of the TV and see how big it looks; bigger can be great for TV enjoyment but if it looks ugly in the room you might not like it.

And get it from a place that you can return it for no reason, then if you really don't like it (too big or too small) then you can exchange it.

Sony is a great brand (I have two). At the top end you could get something like this:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...gon=&langid=EN

or this

(the difference is basically how fast the TV displays images, the top one will be smoother and more movie like for HD-DVD and Blu-ray high definition movies)

If you're not huge on audio but would like to go beyond the tiny speakers in the TV and improve the sound some, you could do something like this:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...38&catid=10553

That includes a subwoofer for some bass punch, and a sound bar speaker, which is basically an array of small speakers in one unit that sits below the TV and creates surround sound without having to have 5 or 7 speakers. They're actually pretty good, and saves from having to setup extra speakers all around the room.

For the DVR, if you want to stay with Starchoice your only choice is to go with their 530:

https://secure.starchoice.com/englis...are/dsr530.asp

It's a nice unit though, I have one and really like it.

For a stand, check out your favorite furniture stores. Let me know if you want more options that way, I've done a bit of research. Costco actually has some pretty decent stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowperson View Post
Ditto myself.

Buy a Cow a TV . . . .

We have satellite on Star Choice.

The room is bright, south-facing, with floor-to-ceiling windows. The TV will likely, periodically, have some direct sunlight hitting it from the other end of the house, at sunset with nothing between us and the mountains.

We sit about 10-12 feet away from the TV . . . . so I assume I could have something in the area of 50." We'd prefer something in the flat screen variety.

I'll be looking to add a DVR. I'll be looking for some kind of stand or cabinet. Probably a stand. You can throw in some speakers if you wish although we don't even have a stereo/ghetto blaster in the house so you can probably tell quality of sound isn't a huge deal for us.

I have no real interest in X-box or gaming on the TV. We use the TV to watch pretty much anything, including a bit of black and white on Turner Classic.

I don't have any particular budget but I assume I'm going to be upwards of $4,000 to $5,000 for the above.

If you care to, feel free to spend my Christmas money and make some suggestions for the above requirements!!!

Cowperson
Old 12-03-2007, 01:22 PM   #325
TimSJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

anyone have any experience with Tivo.. It is available in Canada as of Dec 1st
Old 12-03-2007, 01:30 PM   #326
photon

Exp:

Standard def only, and you'd still have to have your digital receiver from whatever company (unless you had just the standard channels).. so $17 a month for a fancy VCR? No thanks.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:30 AM   #327
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Yeah for 10-12 feet I'd say 47-50" would be plenty big, if not almost too big. A 40" might be big enough. Grab a tape measure and cut a few pieces of paper or cardboard to the size of the TV and see how big it looks; bigger can be great for TV enjoyment but if it looks ugly in the room you might not like it.

And get it from a place that you can return it for no reason, then if you really don't like it (too big or too small) then you can exchange it.

Sony is a great brand (I have two). At the top end you could get something like this:

or this

(the difference is basically how fast the TV displays images, the top one will be smoother and more movie like for HD-DVD and Blu-ray high definition movies)

If you're not huge on audio but would like to go beyond the tiny speakers in the TV and improve the sound some, you could do something like this:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...38&catid=10553

That includes a subwoofer for some bass punch, and a sound bar speaker, which is basically an array of small speakers in one unit that sits below the TV and creates surround sound without having to have 5 or 7 speakers. They're actually pretty good, and saves from having to setup extra speakers all around the room.

For the DVR, if you want to stay with Starchoice your only choice is to go with their 530:

https://secure.starchoice.com/englis...are/dsr530.asp

It's a nice unit though, I have one and really like it.

For a stand, check out your favorite furniture stores. Let me know if you want more options that way, I've done a bit of research. Costco actually has some pretty decent stuff.
Thanks for the help everyone. I think I've got it surrounded now.

I have been amused, however, in the last few days by the predilection of salesmen at places like Vision/Future Shop, etc to colour their speal with jargon . . . . which I'm sure sounds like so much jibberish to most folks (but not all) who walk in their doors. I just wonder if that tact actually works or if the customers simply nod their heads while crossing their fingers.

Thanks. 'Preciate it.

Cowperson
Old 12-04-2007, 10:41 AM   #328
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks for the help everyone. I think I've got it surrounded now.

I have been amused, however, in the last few days by the predilection of salesmen at places like Vision/Future Shop, etc to colour their speal with jargon . . . . which I'm sure sounds like so much jibberish to most folks (but not all) who walk in their doors. I just wonder if that tact actually works or if the customers simply nod their heads while crossing their fingers.

Thanks. 'Preciate it.

Cowperson
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance.....
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 12-04-2007, 11:19 AM   #329
TimSJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

I didn't realize that you could only get the SD Tivo here in Canada.. Thats no good..
Old 12-04-2007, 11:29 AM   #330
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSJ View Post
I didn't realize that you could only get the SD Tivo here in Canada.. Thats no good..
Tell me about it. It'd be nice if they'd implement CableCard at least. Such is the way of a small country I guess.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:41 AM   #331
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I assume your talking about 120hz, which in my experience makes a movie LESS movie-like...in fact, it makes things looks a little too real and smooth for my tastes. Having seen movies in this format totally took me out of the movie experience, and made the movie seem like it was filmed with a handycam (an amazingly high quality one mind you), or i was watching a play. It's great quality, but I think a little jutter and noise gives you a better cinema experience. 120hz can of course be turned off on most sets though.

It's great for sports however, as you lose the motion blur....which in hockey is not a minor irritance.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:44 AM   #332
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I assume your talking about 120hz, which in my experience makes a movie LESS movie-like...in fact, it makes things looks a little too real and smooth for my tastes. Having seen movies in this format totally took me out of the movie experience, and made the movie seem like it was filmed with a handycam (an amazingly high quality one mind you), or i was watching a play. It's great quality, but I think a little jutter and noise gives you a better cinema experience. 120hz can of course be turned off on most sets though.

It's great for sports however, as you lose the motion blur....which in hockey is not a minor irritance.
The 120Hz though can show a 24Hz movie image properly, while a 60Hz panel has to do a 3:2 pulldown on the image.

I've never seen a 120Hz panel showing a 24fps HD movie though so I guess I can't personally say if it's better, just going by what others have reported.

But what you say makes sense.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:49 AM   #333
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know that in theory it makes everything better...it's just that it feels a little too perfect, and takes a bit off the fantasty atmosphere away. It's hard to explain, you have to see it in person to know what i mean. It is undoubtedly beautiful, and im sure it would be amazing for sports, but for some movies, its definitely a different experience than we are used to.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:46 PM   #334
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I know that in theory it makes everything better...it's just that it feels a little too perfect, and takes a bit off the fantasty atmosphere away. It's hard to explain, you have to see it in person to know what i mean. It is undoubtedly beautiful, and im sure it would be amazing for sports, but for some movies, its definitely a different experience than we are used to.
Actually, a number of the reviews I've read at CNET labs say the same thing. The picture is almost too perfect and they need a bit of jitter to make it film-like.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 12-05-2007, 02:50 PM   #335
Rifleman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I got a question....

Is there TV's under 40" that have 1080p as their native resolution? I know a lot of people say it's hard to tell the difference on a small screen, but I want one anyways.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:52 PM   #336
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
I got a question....

Is there TV's under 40" that have 1080p as their native resolution? I know a lot of people say it's hard to tell the difference on a small screen, but I want one anyways.
The only one that offers a 1080p tv under 40" is Sharp (they have a couple of 32" models, one of which is geared towards gamers), and frankly I was never impressed with their picture quality and color. I went in with the same intention as you, to get a small tv with 1080p regardless of what people said about it not being necessary, but whenever I compared the Sharps to the other 32", I just didnt like them. I ended up with a 40" Toshiba Regza RF350u instead....it has a thin bezel, so it takes up much less space than most tv's that size, plus offers you full HD.

Last edited by Table 5; 12-05-2007 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:39 PM   #337
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The only one that offers a 1080p tv under 40" is Sharp (they have a couple of 32" models, one of which is geared towards gamers), and frankly I was never impressed with their picture quality and color. I went in with the same intention as you, to get a small tv with 1080p regardless of what people said about it not being necessary, but whenever I compared the Sharps to the other 32", I just didnt like them. I ended up with a 40" Toshiba Regza RF350u instead....it has a thin bezel, so it takes up much less space than most tv's that size, plus offers you full HD.
The only other alternative is a computer monitor. They may have even higher resolution and can be cheaper. They probably won't come with sound or a TV tuner but if you have a HD STB and connect it with DVI or HDMI, they can make a fine TV and double as a computer monitor for gaming or surfing. The other problem with this is that they come in a 16x 10 ratio instead of 16x9 but my Samsung monitor handles this well without distortion, my Benq, not as well.
If you go this way make sure the monitor is HDCP enabled.

I'd also like to add that I'm not sure a HD STB has enough power for a 30" monitor as they require a DVI dual setup.

Last edited by Vulcan; 12-05-2007 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:22 PM   #338
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Funny moment at The Brick today . . . . . the Sony I want is $200 cheaper there than anywhere else, so I'm saying "I want this (LCD TV), that (DVR), and that other thing over there (stand)," and then I say, "By the way, what's your return policy?"

"What return policy? We stopped that on October 31. You walk out of the store with it, it's yours."

And I say, "Well, I gotta go."

Pretty funny moment.

Looks like the next cheapest is The Sony Store itself.

Cowperson
Old 12-05-2007, 05:05 PM   #339
Rifleman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
The only other alternative is a computer monitor. They may have even higher resolution and can be cheaper. They probably won't come with sound or a TV tuner but if you have a HD STB and connect it with DVI or HDMI, they can make a fine TV and double as a computer monitor for gaming or surfing. The other problem with this is that they come in a 16x 10 ratio instead of 16x9 but my Samsung monitor handles this well without distortion, my Benq, not as well.
If you go this way make sure the monitor is HDCP enabled.

I'd also like to add that I'm not sure a HD STB has enough power for a 30" monitor as they require a DVI dual setup.
I've got a pretty decent video card with a TV tuner. Hmm...
Old 12-05-2007, 05:58 PM   #340
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Funny moment at The Brick today . . . . . the Sony I want is $200 cheaper there than anywhere else, so I'm saying "I want this (LCD TV), that (DVR), and that other thing over there (stand)," and then I say, "By the way, what's your return policy?"

"What return policy? We stopped that on October 31. You walk out of the store with it, it's yours."

And I say, "Well, I gotta go."

Pretty funny moment.

Looks like the next cheapest is The Sony Store itself.

Cowperson
Lol!

You could also price-match at Futureshop or Best Buy, tell them what Brick's price was and they'll match it (they may call to confirm it).
Closed Thread