Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2015, 09:28 AM   #321
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
That first PP goal where he sniped it top corner on that one timer from Wideman was the Gio of old. He was extremely rusty but has now put himself back on pace for 45pts this year. If the team keeps playing at this rate he should get over 50 as the first dozen or so games he didn't do anything offensively.

The Flames D is really getting on track with 5 guys over 10pts already.
My wife commented that he's not using his neon-colored stick anymore. Wonder if changing his stick has helped.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:29 AM   #322
BigJim
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I suffered from a biceps tear last year as well and while I appreciate Gio likely has an army of therapists and physicians he has access to, there is a definite psychological barrier about doing the same activity that caused the tear. Looks like he's getting over it though which is good news.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:54 AM   #323
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
My brother told me that there was some talk that McLellan didn't want to pull the goaltender and risk giving Johnny a hat trick. I doubt that's true but with just under 2 minutes remaining they had possession of the puck in the Flames end and I don't believe I've seen a team all year not pull their goaltender in that situation. Kind of bizarre the head coach doesn't even want to try to come back as it's not unheard of or anything and there's nothing to lose.
I love the message that sends to his players. If there are only 2 minutes left and you are losing, you might as well not bother trying to come back... you already lost. Just play the clock down and get off the ice.

The loser attitude is so ingrained at every level of that franchise, I wonder if it can ever be changed.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:56 AM   #324
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I love the message that sends to his players. If there are only 2 minutes left and you are losing, you might as well not bother trying to come back... you already lost. Just play the clock down and get off the ice.

The loser attitude is so ingrained at every level of that franchise, I wonder if it can ever be changed.
You got it backwards. They are so used to winning, that they are simply paying for the successes of the 80s right now. It's just the regular cycle of pro sports franchises, don'tcha know.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2015, 10:00 AM   #325
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
My wife commented that he's not using his neon-colored stick anymore. Wonder if changing his stick has helped.
His last batch of sticks were garbage. It seemed like he was breaking multiple sticks per game.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:02 AM   #326
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
I suffered from a biceps tear last year as well and while I appreciate Gio likely has an army of therapists and physicians he has access to, there is a definite psychological barrier about doing the same activity that caused the tear. Looks like he's getting over it though which is good news.
A couple of games ago he really leaned into a puck. I think it was on the powerplay and he walked right in, shattered his stick.

It was the first time I remember him really giving it on a shot this year. I wonder if that broke the ice for him.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote