Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2023, 02:28 PM   #321
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was given Mirtazapine? Works alright but the next day groggies were worse than the insomnia groggies, so what's the point.

Stay on them until you get used to them... I don't want to get used to them.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 05:22 PM   #322
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
Always. Worst is Sunday night, then Monday night then get less crappy every night until Sunday and it starts over.

I finally could describe what I've had for years and googleMD'd it. Nocturnal Mini-Panic Attacks. Knowing its an actual thing has made it a bit better these past few weeks.

My mind races in the middle of the night and things I said that I regret, or something that I need to do but have been putting off, car is making a sound, got to book that dentist appointment. Thinking I forgot something at work.

Right when falling asleep these things are end of the world and its like having a heart attack (I imagine). Instantly sweating, trembling, heart racing, then it goes away, try to get back to sleep and again. All night from 2-3 am to wake up.
Yep. I'm the exact same.

Its like...when I'm trying to go to sleep is when my brain wants to re-hash and summarize every mistake of the entire day and plan for the upcoming week.

No. Turn off!!!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 09:47 AM   #323
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Was taking melatonin recently (have taken it on and off in the past, with some success) but with a sick kiddo at home and lack of sleep I was taking a 1mg dose for well over a month, might have even been like 5-6 weeks.

Anyways, it turned me into a snap show. Took me a while to connect the dots and after some googling melatonin can cause some major anger, irritability, and aggressive behaviors. I was legit concerned why I was getting so pissed off all the time at the most minor/stupid things.

Needless to say I’m done with melatonin.

Good luck everyone with your sleep.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rohara66 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2023, 09:50 AM   #324
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
Was taking melatonin recently (have taken it on and off in the past, with some success) but with a sick kiddo at home and lack of sleep I was taking a 1mg dose for well over a month, might have even been like 5-6 weeks.

Anyways, it turned me into a snap show. Took me a while to connect the dots and after some googling melatonin can cause some major anger, irritability, and aggressive behaviors. I was legit concerned why I was getting so pissed off all the time at the most minor/stupid things.

Needless to say I’m done with melatonin.

Good luck everyone with your sleep.
Yeah, I thought about melatonin for a while, did some Google-Fu and its apparently a combination of the melatonin itself and that apparently melatonin assisted sleep, while it gets the job done, isnt particularly useful or restful.

You'll sleep, but you wont be rested. Hence the irritability.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2023, 10:07 AM   #325
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Yeah, I thought about melatonin for a while, did some Google-Fu and its apparently a combination of the melatonin itself and that apparently melatonin assisted sleep, while it gets the job done, isnt particularly useful or restful.

You'll sleep, but you wont be rested. Hence the irritability.

Yea, could be that. But it did help me sleep quite well.

But it also messed up something else in your brain (according to the google).

Any-who, use with some caution and/or talk to your doctor.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 10:10 AM   #326
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
Yea, could be that. But it did help me sleep quite well.

But it also messed up something else in your brain (according to the google).

Any-who, use with some caution and/or talk to your doctor.
The part that always bothered me in general was that I'd be taking a stimulant then a depressant. (ie: Caffeine + melatonin/sleep aid).

It's basically uppers and downers cycle, even if the stuff used is legal and like you, I found out the hard way in finding out this cycle could turn me into the hulk on a hairpin trigger.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 10:22 AM   #327
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

When necessary I take a drug called Zolpidem. For those really suffering you may as your doctor about it. They will more likely prescribe Zoplicone but I found the side effects of that one to be more severe.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 10:25 AM   #328
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

People are still taking melatonin?

Magnesium is your friend.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 10:28 AM   #329
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
Try magnesium on a regular basis to level it out.

Melatonin can be effective, but I find I sleep consciously awake on that. Magnesium for the win.
The right kind though. Not all magnesium is made equal.

Read the labels, make sure it isn't oxide. That one's a poorly absorbed form that's basically a laxative. It's cheap and easily produced which is why it's the one in your basic store bought brands like Jamiesons.

Magtein/L-Threonate and Glycinate/Bisglycinate are fantastic.

Sleeping on Magnesium can as much as double your REM sleep time, which means that even if you sleep less, you can get more high quality sleep in. I'll feel as refreshed from 4 hours of magnesium sleep as 7 hours without it.

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 09-21-2023 at 10:34 AM.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 08:50 AM   #330
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just had the first sleep past 3 am in probably 3 years without exception. Made it to 8. It feels like I just woke up into a different wonderful world.
The Following User Says Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2024, 08:53 AM   #331
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just had the first sleep past 3 am in probably 3 years without exception. Made it to 8. It feels like I just woke up into a different wonderful world.
Nope. The place still sucks. Unless you woke up in Salt Lake City.

Old 04-13-2024, 09:04 AM   #332
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I’m doing the test for sleep apnea this week. I’ve been so tired, and wake up most days around 4 am. Could be old age or anxiety too.

Trazadone and cannabis helped me sleep a little longer.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 09:19 AM   #333
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I’m doing the test for sleep apnea this week. I’ve been so tired, and wake up most days around 4 am. Could be old age or anxiety too.

Anxiety doesn’t cause insomnia one bit. So it can’t be that.

Do you ever watch your child sleep and get deeply jealous?

I have a friend who has one of those mouthpieces for apnea and said it’s life changing. Not the cpap, just a thing you put in at night. I’m not convinced.

Also you need to judge your life decisions at 3 am because that makes sense.
Old 04-13-2024, 11:34 AM   #334
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

I have a friend who has one of those mouthpieces for apnea and said it’s life changing. Not the cpap, just a thing you put in at night. I’m not convinced.

100% disagree with you here. Waking up in the middle of the night and having my mind start filling with anxious thoughts is pretty much my nightly ritual.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2024, 11:43 AM   #335
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think it absolutely does. I think its got to be a leading cause.

My head hits the pillow and you know what floats into my mind? The next day's schedule, bills that have to be paid, taxes that have to be done, etc.

My anxiety keeps me up nights constantly.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2024, 01:41 PM   #336
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

At University, I found that the anxiety and stress at exam time really affected my ability to sleep, while many others were taking bennies (benzedrine) and coffee to stay awake.

I think the need for sleep is quite variable for each person. Some need 8 or more hours per night and others can get by with 6 or 7. I think I read where Elon Musk only needs 6 hours. My sister and mother only needed about 2 hours a night for many years. My sister used to get up after sleeping for 2 hours and watch tv. I think she bought just about every tv special product that was ever offered.

If I am having trouble sleeping, and have something important going on the next day that demands I get a good sleep, I have found that taking a half or quarter of a zopiclone will do the trick.

I think having that tired feeling when going to sleep is important. I will never forget that physically tired feeling I used to get at the end of a day of skiing.

I have found that sufficient exercise, eating less (especially not snacking while watching tv), drinking lots of water, no alcohol, having naps under an hour long, are all things that help.

When I retired, one of the things I noticed was losing that feeling of fear when waking up. It was probably related to losing the fear of making wrong decisions.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesfever For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2024, 02:18 PM   #337
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe Elon needs more sleep so he doesn’t do dumb ####, like buy Twitter or build that nasty ass truck.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2024, 03:50 PM   #338
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Maybe Elon needs more sleep so he doesn’t do dumb ####, like buy Twitter or build that nasty ass truck.
He may only need six hours but he's getting two, is my guess. He is not a well-rested thinker.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 06:07 PM   #339
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I'd bet that anxiety most definitely impacts people's sleeps and leads to insomnia and restless sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post

I read somewhere that while most people (I'm one of them when I take a gummy) report that cannabis helps people feel like they slept better and longer, it in fact leaves people less well-rested based on studies. I think it was due to the almost non-existence of REM sleep when you go to bed after taking cannabis but I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2024, 07:38 AM   #340
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
100% disagree with you here. Waking up in the middle of the night and having my mind start filling with anxious thoughts is pretty much my nightly ritual.
Not getting my sarcasm should give you more anxiety. Might be anxiety. It’s totally anxiety. It’s 3:27 am for me when it starts kicking in.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post: