Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2014, 08:12 AM   #3321
core_upt
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYE_Overstand View Post
has many on this forum used AirBNB. i know all about the company and that its reputable BUT how are the experiences with the actual apartment?

i will obviously do my due diligence and read reviews and such, i just never have done this sort of thing… i am travelling with my wife, so i really don't want anything to come up… if it was only me, i wouldn't be as hesitant.

I was planning on a week in Paris and have found quite a few nice places in the 250-300 price range and when comparing that price to hotels… the size/ location/ unique places are much more attractive on airBNB
I've used AirBNB quite a bit (along with VRBO) when traveling with my wife. We've done one 'private room' stay where the host was still in the home, but other than that, we've only done 'entire home' rentals.
The only issue I ever had with it was trying to meet a home owner at one place - the directions weren't super clear and we couldn't phone or email him (we were in Budapest).
AirBNB has become the first place I check when traveling, I would say I use it over hotels about 50% of the time, but always check it first. You can get more 'authentic' stays than touristy hotels, plus having a kitchen and a fridge can cut down significantly on expenses.
All in all, I would definitely recommend it, just as you said, do your homework.
core_upt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to core_upt For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2014, 08:32 PM   #3322
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are some places where it works well, and others not so much. I think Seattle and Vancouver were kind of on the cusp of being better than hotels, mainly parking edged them above hotels (depending on the time of the year), but the prices were similar, at lease for downtown places.

Also watch out, since if I recall correctly some places it is illegal (or some kind of municipal offense) to rent out apartments - I think NYC?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2014, 10:07 AM   #3323
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Calgary to New York City | $293 roundtrip incl. taxes | direct flights

A price drop on WestJet, coinciding with a promo code that is valid for New York makes this amazing price possible!

full details: http://www.yycdeals.com/calgary-to-n...direct-flights

Travel to/from: New York (John F Kennedy), Dallas, San Francisco, Chicago or Myrtle Beach and anywhere in Canada

Promo code: WJP04
Coupon code: WBQRGG9
Discount: 20% off** Econo fares
Book by: April 9, 2014 (9:59 p.m. MT)
Travel period: April 26 to June 25, 2014
Blackout period: May 15 to 20, 2014

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2014, 02:13 PM   #3324
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking to go to Vegas from May 30-June 2. Anyway I can get a flight and hotel for under $500 or am I just being dilussional? I'd like to stay at Treasure Island
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:48 PM   #3325
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just a heads up that there is a new phone scam going around. Automatic calls are being made to Calgarians, pretending to be from the Calgary/YYC airport.

The automated message states that by providing credit card information, you are eligible for a cash credit for future flights.

Warn your friends and family so they don't fall for this scam.

http://www.newstalk770.com/2014/04/0...-a-phone-scam/

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
Old 04-05-2014, 12:30 PM   #3326
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
Looking to go to Vegas from May 30-June 2. Anyway I can get a flight and hotel for under $500 or am I just being dilussional? I'd like to stay at Treasure Island
Based on google flights it would cost around $400 for a flight. A decent, not great hotel on the strip would cost at least $90 per night (including resort fee and taxes).

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:57 PM   #3327
Scrambler
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
My company uses a travel agent company as a central source for all flight, car rental, hotel bookings, corp events, corp meetings in other cities, billings, etc. they do provide value in this case but beyond that I'm not sure why any one person would use a travel agent. You can find the exact same info online in seconds
I think Travel Agents/Agencies that evolved with the business is these days are still successful. There was a time a few years ago when I was sure I would leave the business but I am still here and the numbers grow every year.

It can be a challenging job sometimes but for the most part it is very enjoyable. I like to have the ability to not only provide prices that are the same if not lower than what is online along with expertise/advice that goes outside the box of what can be found in a Google Search.

Not sure if I am defending myself or Travel Agents as a whole, I feel that there are some out there who give us a bad name.
Scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:32 AM   #3328
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Calgary to Hong Kong | $770 roundtrip including taxes | new record!

Delta has just set a new record for the cheapest flights between Calgary and Hong Kong that I've ever seen. The previous record was set on May 23, 2013 when they dropped to $801.

While Beijing and Shanghai have dropped into the $700s on occasion, this is the first time I've seen Hong Kong break the $800 barrier.

For comparison, here are the current cheapest roundtrip flight prices from Calgary to Hong Kong, by airline, in the month of September....

As you can see, Delta is undercutting the next closest competing airline (China Eastern Air) by over 35% ! A ridiculous gap in the competitive world of airfares.

full details: http://yycdeals.com/calgary-to-hong-...xes-new-record

Old 04-23-2014, 11:38 AM   #3329
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Have you guys had any experiences with Travel America Diamond Getaway? Got it from the auto dealership. The whole process is a giant waste of time and it screams "scam". A quick Google search proves just that. I'm going to lay it to the side until I feel like wasting $40 for the non-refundable registration.

I'd much rather get an awesome deal through YYC Deals than deal with this frustrating scam haha.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:21 PM   #3330
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Have you guys had any experiences with Travel America Diamond Getaway? Got it from the auto dealership. The whole process is a giant waste of time and it screams "scam". A quick Google search proves just that. I'm going to lay it to the side until I feel like wasting $40 for the non-refundable registration.

I'd much rather get an awesome deal through YYC Deals than deal with this frustrating scam haha.
Scathing reviews on TripAdvisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-...as_Nevada.html

This first post on Rip Off Report explains the scam pretty well...

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Travel...ne-Cali-423854

So this is the 'incentive' that I see touted by car dealerships when they offer a 'free trip to Vegas' with the purchase of a vehicle ? Wow. That's almost a slap in the face after giving them your business.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:17 PM   #3331
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Seeing some YYC to Hong Kong flights for even slightly cheaper. $729 now.

Blog post updated (see bottom) - http://yycdeals.com/calgary-to-hong-...xes-new-record

Old 04-30-2014, 02:02 PM   #3332
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey Chris, do you anticipate, or is there are history of cheap flights out of Calgary near the end of September? Just looking to get away for a weekend + extra an day or two.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:41 PM   #3333
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Hey Chris, do you anticipate, or is there are history of cheap flights out of Calgary near the end of September? Just looking to get away for a weekend + extra an day or two.
I would put September & October pretty high up on the list of months that are most likely to see an unusual price drop. Summer is over. Kids are back in school. It's not cold enough for higher demand to warm destinations.

It's usually pointless to try and predict what deals may occur, although there have been unusual price drops that have repeated themselves over the years (but the question still remains, will it happen again? It's far from a certainty).

One thing you could do is search YYC Deals for 'September' to see which destinations have had an unusual price drop in past years during that month, and the date of the blog post tells you when that occurred.

eg: http://www.yycdeals.com/search?criteria=september

The Following User Says Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2014, 08:45 PM   #3334
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey, a bit of an odd request, I have a friend who is a WWII vet who served with First Special Service Force and they are having a reunion in September. His wife isn't doing so well mobility wise, a couple questions the first do you know what the best routes are from Edmonton/Calgary to Montana (I am assuming that there aren't that many) also have you ever heard of any services that airlines offer for people with mobility issues? Who would I need to contact. Considering he is a 90 year old man he really isn't up to speed with much in the way of technology so I volunteered to find out as much information as possible.

Thanks.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:51 PM   #3335
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Hey, a bit of an odd request, I have a friend who is a WWII vet who served with First Special Service Force and they are having a reunion in September. His wife isn't doing so well mobility wise, a couple questions the first do you know what the best routes are from Edmonton/Calgary to Montana (I am assuming that there aren't that many) also have you ever heard of any services that airlines offer for people with mobility issues? Who would I need to contact. Considering he is a 90 year old man he really isn't up to speed with much in the way of technology so I volunteered to find out as much information as possible.

Thanks.
90 year old veteran? Special Service Force?
I will drive him to Montana.
Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:11 PM   #3336
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would if I wasn't in school at the time, I truly would. He is one of the most remarkable people that I have ever met.

I am sure that he wouldn't mind putting his name up... he has given quite a few interviews and talks to kids about his experiences.

http://www.thememoryproject.com/vete...-whitey-white/
Old 04-30-2014, 09:30 PM   #3337
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

If flying proves difficult or uncomfortable...I was not being trite.
I am away 4-14 Sept, other than that I would do it.
Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aeneas For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2014, 09:51 PM   #3338
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

What were the mobility issues and where in Montana? A major hub, and the airport might have the best resources for helping him get around.

I guess it just might be pricier than driving, if the airlines don't offer veterans discounts (could book with a US airline - they have discounts for veterans don't they? Not sure if this applies to allies).
Old 04-30-2014, 10:45 PM   #3339
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Basic mobility issues for a senior, mostly requires wheelchair and some slight confusion. Uses a cane, should use a walker, standing for long periods of time in lines isn't really possible. This is just based off of a preliminary conversation that I had today, so I am seeing what info I can gather to pass onto him in the near future. Helena Montana is where he said that it was scheduled for, he didn't have any specific dates but it is usually in September.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:47 AM   #3340
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Unfortunately there are no easy ways to fly to Montana with the major airlines. I think the fastest it can be done is with a 1 hour layover in Salt Lake each way with Delta. The total travel time is 4.5 hours each way. Factoring in airport time, there's not a whole lot of time to be saved versus driving. And those 'fast' Delta flights can be super expensive ($1000+).

United via Denver is the next best option, at 6.5 hours each way. Fares look to be in the mid $500s.

This search can give you an idea of the cost and travel times in September...

http://www.kayak.com/flights/YYC-GTF...09-17-flexible

(use the dropdown to sort by duration, 'shorter to longer' = fastest)