Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 10:36 PM   #3301
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

That being called a goal just made me think of how burned we got losing 2 of those to Florida this year. This is like the 5th one I've seen called a goal that seemed to be pretty much as close as the two we had called back.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:53 PM   #3302
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
That being called a goal just made me think of how burned we got losing 2 of those to Florida this year. This is like the 5th one I've seen called a goal that seemed to be pretty much as close as the two we had called back.
They were both offside.

This play was not - he jumped in the air with BOTH feet and came back down with one skate still on the line. At no point was he ever actually over the line (either had one foot on the line or both feet in the air)
Old 02-27-2017, 12:37 AM   #3303
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

So...we've played the same number of games, have the same number of wins, but the Oilers, with their meagre couple of remaining #1 overall picks, are beating us by 4 loser points.

Yeah, thats how you build a solid franchise, Well done! Thats truly the ticket!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 02-27-2017, 12:41 AM   #3304
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just let the linesman make the calls on the fly and deal with it...there have been a handful of atrocious offsides that have lead to goals in the past

Its not like the officials don't make multiple mistakes every game that contribute to determining the winner anyway
Old 02-27-2017, 12:47 AM   #3305
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Whoa take a step back. There's this thing called a salary cap, there's this other thing called defense. Flames have won 1 less game this year albeit losing all our games with the Oil we have played better vs the rest of the league so far. Also start getting acquainted with this thing called a mute button, it comes in handy when watching Canadian sports media, especially the terribleness that is sportsnet who gives a platform to babbling idiots like Doug Maclean, John Shannon, that plug they call kyper, Eric "$7.5 million" Francis, and his cross city idiot in arms Mark Spector. I also suggest using a DVR so you never have to watch that disgusting turd of a team play at all.
As a hockey fan, there is no escaping it. You really do have to put the TV on mute and miss good hockey talk or analysis to completely stay away.

I have never, EVER seen another organization pat itself on the back more than the Oilers, in any sport. The glory years, their sudden "We are the best team in the world" attitude, and most of all - the idiotic fans that go around beating their chests and actually looking down on other teams?

You simply can't escape it. I want this season to be a complete troll job. Everyone up there is already patting themselves on the back for getting into the playoffs and talking about how it is the start of a new dynasty.

Seriously, has any other organization in the history of sports done more to pat themselves on the back than the Oilers? Montreal doesn't even do a fraction of those things. There is absolutely no humility with anything pertaining to that organization.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2017, 12:49 AM   #3306
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

An Oiler fan from HF sticking up for the Flames??? Maybe this poster has seen the light

Originally Posted by Spawn
Might be time to give the Flames some credit. Seems like every game they win you accuse the other team of laying down for them. Flames hold out in the 3rd and they're just 4 points back of the Oilers. A week ago it was 10 points. They're making an impressive push right now.

And we were swept by Toronto, does that mean they're better than us? But it's not about if the Flames are better than the Oilers are or whatever. Its about giving the Flames a bit of credit for having so quickly closed the gap and not just saying other teams aren't trying against them. Comes across as petty.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:10 AM   #3307
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
As a hockey fan, there is no escaping it. You really do have to put the TV on mute and miss good hockey talk or analysis to completely stay away.

I have never, EVER seen another organization pat itself on the back more than the Oilers, in any sport. The glory years, their sudden "We are the best team in the world" attitude, and most of all - the idiotic fans that go around beating their chests and actually looking down on other teams?

You simply can't escape it. I want this season to be a complete troll job. Everyone up there is already patting themselves on the back for getting into the playoffs and talking about how it is the start of a new dynasty.

Seriously, has any other organization in the history of sports done more to pat themselves on the back than the Oilers? Montreal doesn't even do a fraction of those things. There is absolutely no humility with anything pertaining to that organization.

Agree 100%. You can only help to really laugh, I honestly don't care what that team does, they reaped the benefits of an awful system that gave them chance after chance to get it right. Other teams have never even got an opportunity to pick first they got it handed to them 4 times in one decade. Thats not even counting all their other high picks, I mean Jesus they picked ahead of us every year even when we began our rebuild. That's how awful they are, even when the Flames had pretty much nothing besides Monahan the Oil still managed to be worse with Hall and the boys. I mean they were so bad the NHL had to change the rule. Another poster put it best, no matter what they do the Oilers will always and forever be no good.

Last edited by Beninho; 02-27-2017 at 01:15 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2017, 07:08 AM   #3308
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
An Oiler fan from HF sticking up for the Flames??? Maybe this poster has seen the light

Might be time to give the Flames some credit. Seems like every game they win you accuse the other team of laying down for them. Flames hold out in the 3rd and they're just 4 points back of the Oilers. A week ago it was 10 points. They're making an impressive push right now.

And we were swept by Toronto, does that mean they're better than us? But it's not about if the Flames are better than the Oilers are or whatever. Its about giving the Flames a bit of credit for having so quickly closed the gap and not just saying other teams aren't trying against them. Comes across as petty.
I wouldn't say he's sticking up for the Flames and more he's acknowledging that the other poster is a goof. It's ludicrous to think that the league is conspiring for the Flames to make the playoffs by laying down for them. If anything the Oilers have had a lot of help from the schedule makers this season getting teams the night after the Flames most of the season.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2017, 08:16 AM   #3309
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd love to see a BOA. Every legit hockey fan in the province should want to see the Flames keep kicking ass and the Oiler slump a little to see it happen. The playoffs have been really , REALLY boring last few years. How incredible would it be for the Oilers to return to the post season after over a decade against their arch rivals?

Fantastic, I say.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2017, 08:18 AM   #3310
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
I'd love to see a BOA. Every legit hockey fan in the province should want to see the Flames keep kicking ass and the Oiler slump a little to see it happen. The playoffs have been really , REALLY boring last few years. How incredible would it be for the Oilers to return to the post season after over a decade against their arch rivals?

Fantastic, I say.
Not as incredible as watching a historically horrible team set a new record for non-playoff futility.

Oilers can fall to 9th and EAD.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:20 AM   #3311
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
Not as incredible as watching a historically horrible team set a new record for non-playoff futility.

Oilers can fall to 9th and EAD.
the math on that is ludicrous. sportsclub has them at 98 or 99 %
Old 02-27-2017, 08:25 AM   #3312
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

Fantastic, I say.
Sure, I'd love to see a Battle of Alberta, because I think the two teams are different then they were when those games were played. The Flames are playing well, the coaches have figured out the line combinations and the goaltending is far better then it was earlier in the year.

The Oilers just seem to be treading water or even falling off a bit. They're not a deep team, and in the playoffs depth means everything.

However, there's part of me that looks at the arrogance of that organization and fan, that makes me believe that they've learned nothing in their years of failure and they need another lesson in humility.

Frankly that team should have been relegated to the Millhouse Division (AHL) years ago, or when Katz did his emotional blackmail thing of touring Seattle the city and the province should have said "FFS man, just go, your not worth the money"

But instead we get a team that sounds like that weird cousin with the huge ego that you want nothing to do with and would rather punch him in the face and take the assault charges rather then listening to his inessential ramblings about how awesome he is.

The Oilers are truly the church of the poisoned mind, and I would laugh if they found a way to screw up their hot start by sliding into 9th.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2017, 08:26 AM   #3313
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There is only one plausible scenario.

Having the Flames catch them isn't enough, they also have to have the Kings catch them. And the only way that happens is if the Kings sweep them in their 3 head to head games, plus the Oil go into a bit of a tailspin.

Very unlikely, but still possible.

Factoring in a sweep:

EDM: 33 - 25 - 8 / 74 pts, 16 games remaining
LAK.: 33 - 27 - 4 / 70 pts, 18 games remaining
Old 02-27-2017, 08:32 AM   #3314
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Which would only make it even more fantastic and incredible.
The Following User Says Thank You to I_H8_Crawford For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2017, 08:33 AM   #3315
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Sure, I'd love to see a Battle of Alberta, because I think the two teams are different then they were when those games were played. The Flames are playing well, the coaches have figured out the line combinations and the goaltending is far better then it was earlier in the year.

The Oilers just seem to be treading water or even falling off a bit. They're not a deep team, and in the playoffs depth means everything.

However, there's part of me that looks at the arrogance of that organization and fan, that makes me believe that they've learned nothing in their years of failure and they need another lesson in humility.

Frankly that team should have been relegated to the Millhouse Division (AHL) years ago, or when Katz did his emotional blackmail thing of touring Seattle the city and the province should have said "FFS man, just go, your not worth the money"

But instead we get a team that sounds like that weird cousin with the huge ego that you want nothing to do with and would rather punch him in the face and take the assault charges rather then listening to his inessential ramblings about how awesome he is.

The Oilers are truly the church of the poisoned mind, and I would laugh if they found a way to screw up their hot start by sliding into 9th.
yeah yeah, i've read this argument before. guess what, if the Oiler fans gave up on their team and the arena was half empty and people stopped caring about them the argument would then certainly be "well, they're bandwaggoners and dont deserve playoffs now".

You know what made the playoffs really exciting for me and Flames fans here for years and years when the Canucks were elite and we all hated it? Cheering our asses off for the opposition. You can't tell me you don't warmly recall the Kings beating the Canucks in the 1st round? How elated you felt when you watched the Bruins begin blowing them out in game 7? Those are some of my favourite hockey memories because I hate the Canucks.

Hockey would get boring fast if your enemies were constantly in a state of being smitten by the hockey gods.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:47 AM   #3316
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
yeah yeah, i've read this argument before. guess what, if the Oiler fans gave up on their team and the arena was half empty and people stopped caring about them the argument would then certainly be "well, they're bandwaggoners and dont deserve playoffs now".
Guess what, there's room in between "bandwagon fan" and the self-congratulatory, self-entitled crap the Oilers fans exhibit. Lots of teams have fans who have realistic views of their team, but support them.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2017, 08:49 AM   #3317
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Smitten by the hockey Gods? Hardly. The hockey gods are been nothing but favorable to that franchise. It is the franchise that has pissed it away. Imagine if they had not been gifted by the hockey gods in the McDavid sweepstakes. Can you imagine how horrible this team would be if they stayed in the 3rd spot and drafted Strome?

Maybe once the franchise and its fan base learn a thing or two about humility they can move forward. All winning McDavid did was validate Lowe and McTavish because the architects for tying the record for playoff futility are still there. Now, because of the McDavid gift, they think they properly built a playoff team and are being applauded being successful.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:52 AM   #3318
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Guess what, there's room in between "bandwagon fan" and the self-congratulatory, self-entitled crap the Oilers fans exhibit. Lots of teams have fans who have realistic views of their team, but support them.
I just don't see the same thing you're seeing. The fan base was motivated and excited about a whole truck load of 1st overalls and the media played a huge roll in hyping the team. TSN and SNET did round the clock BJ's on the Oilers youth for months at a time in the off season.

But hold that hate. Keep it in a glass case and when you guys face off in the post season ####ing enjoy it. I'll have another year of #### all from the Jets... you'll find zero sympathy from me for Flames fans who are "annoyed" their rivals are in the playoffs.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:03 AM   #3319
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I just don't see the same thing you're seeing. The fan base was motivated and excited about a whole truck load of 1st overalls and the media played a huge roll in hyping the team. TSN and SNET did round the clock BJ's on the Oilers youth for months at a time in the off season.

But hold that hate. Keep it in a glass case and when you guys face off in the post season ####ing enjoy it. I'll have another year of #### all from the Jets... you'll find zero sympathy from me for Flames fans who are "annoyed" their rivals are in the playoffs.
I've dealt with Oiler fans since they came into the league. They've always been self-entitled, whiny, smug and ignorant.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2017, 09:06 AM   #3320
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Beating them in the BoA in the playoffs - good

Them not even getting into the playoffs - good

Either, or.
Closed Thread