Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2024, 10:31 AM   #3261
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I think that there is one guy (Evan Spencer) who has a decision to make. Aside from him though, I think that most of the positions are entrenched. My councilor definitely is. And, in light of that, and the fact that I don't feel that strongly about this, it's not worth it.

I do think that we need more density, I just think it should not be carte-blanche.
The thing is, re-zoning can currently happen in close to all city neighbourhoods now (Mt. Royal being a prominent exception) but because the process is done on an individual parcel of land basis, it is expensive and takes somewhere between 8 and 20 months to get the approval. Which, in most cases, is approved anyway. All the city-wide rezoning is effectively doing is reducing the hurdles - ie. bureaucracy - of an existing process. A development permit will still be required.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 10:36 AM   #3262
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
The thing is, re-zoning can currently happen in close to all city neighbourhoods now (Mt. Royal being a prominent exception) but because the process is done on an individual parcel of land basis, it is expensive and takes somewhere between 8 and 20 months to get the approval. Which, in most cases, is approved anyway. All the city-wide rezoning is effectively doing is reducing the hurdles - ie. bureaucracy - of an existing process. A development permit will still be required.
Why is Mt Royal exempt?
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 10:53 AM   #3263
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
This hearing just keeps getting bigger and bigger...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1782417652310491511
Wow! I’ve been a city councillor in a small city and have attended hundreds of public hearings. Nothing like this. It’s a challenge with numerous people speaking. I don’t know how councillors can do this. Maybe their process is different, however everyone gets their two minutes or so. Maybe one person speaks for numerous others.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 10:55 AM   #3264
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Imagine trying to get geezers to talk and have a point in under two minutes.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 10:56 AM   #3265
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

And here. we. goooo.
https://www.calgary.ca/council/counc...-webcasts.html

Also, Sean Chu couldn't be bothered to show up in person. What a waste of space.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 10:58 AM   #3266
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
You also said rehab centres and programs “like that.”

And yeah, safe injection sites help. You’re saying you’d actually be fine living near drop-in centres and rehabilitation centres then? If so, obviously I have you pegged wrong.

High density low/no income housing is fine?
You know what, if me not wanting to live because safe injection sites and homeless camps makes me a NIMBY, I'm fine with that. I have a feeling that would be the vast majority of us, probably you included.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 11:00 AM   #3267
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
You know what, if me not wanting to live because safe injection sites and homeless camps makes me a NIMBY, I'm fine with that. I have a feeling that would be the vast majority of us, probably you included.
Not Wormius, he loves those things. Toothless hummers are a nice perk.
The Following User Says Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 11:03 AM   #3268
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Wow! I’ve been a city councillor in a small city and have attended hundreds of public hearings. Nothing like this. It’s a challenge with numerous people speaking. I don’t know how councillors can do this. Maybe their process is different, however everyone gets their two minutes or so. Maybe one person speaks for numerous others.
5 minutes per person, it's going to be a week long hearing probably. Going to be a loooooooong week for Councillors and city staff
Old 04-22-2024, 11:07 AM   #3269
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
5 minutes per person, it's going to be a week long hearing probably. Going to be a loooooooong week for Councillors and city staff

Are people given a specific time slot?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 11:08 AM   #3270
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I wonder what would alleviate homeless camps.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 11:12 AM   #3271
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Kind of - every speaker gets assigned a panel (which is a group of 5). There's 130+ panels scheduled at the moment.

When that panel occurs depends on how quickly they progress so you have to keep an eye on where they're at in the agenda.
Old 04-22-2024, 11:13 AM   #3272
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Panel slots yes, those that signed up online received emails last week indicating what panel they are on. However, they will have to keep tabs on how fast things are progressing to estimate when their panel may be up.

Edit: Soundly beaten by Torture.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 11:36 AM   #3273
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
And here. we. goooo.
https://www.calgary.ca/council/counc...-webcasts.html

Also, Sean Chu couldn't be bothered to show up in person. What a waste of space.
I wouldn’t condemn him for that; maybe other things. Councillors travel and hearings are hard to plan for. Attending remotely is common. Councillors cannot vote on future readings and when the decision comes up if they miss the hearing. As I said, I know the guy is unpopular so hate him for other things. I wouldn’t for this.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 11:39 AM   #3274
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wouldn’t condemn him for that; maybe other things. Councillors travel and hearings are hard to plan for. Attending remotely is common. Councillors cannot vote on future readings and when the decision comes up if they miss the hearing. As I said, I know the guy is unpopular so hate him for other things. I wouldn’t for this.
You actually think the most useless councilor in Calgary is doing something productive? Or that he deserves the benefit of the doubt? No, #### that guy, and #### him for skipping work.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 11:42 AM   #3275
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Generally, I agree. But this is a pretty important meeting
...and rumor has it he is in Mexico.. lol
Old 04-22-2024, 11:44 AM   #3276
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I can't blame any councilor for wanting to ditch out on 700+ idiot jabbering on about #### they don't understand, but it's part of the job.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 11:49 AM   #3277
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seriously, by what panel does your brain just gloss over if you are the Mayor or a Councillor?
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 11:52 AM   #3278
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

While not entirely the same, Houston is pretty well known for not have any land-use codes, with various caveats:

Outcomes are generally the same, but cheaper/faster than cities with land use ordinances:

Also, i could be completely off here and the two couldn't be similar at all. but, it's interesting
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 12:02 PM   #3279
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Drop-in centres? Rehabilitation centres? High density low/no income housing?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 12:07 PM   #3280
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Seriously, by what panel does your brain just gloss over if you are the Mayor or a Councillor?
Lol, panel two people aren't even there. One panel of hundreds down. Time for lunch. This will take months.

topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote