Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2014, 03:30 PM   #3261
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewVegasRanger View Post
If you buy the tickets together two-way they are usually cheaper.
I'm going to disagree -- don't most carriers these days charge the same price regardless of whether you buy one way versus round trip?
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:49 PM   #3262
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
I'm going to disagree -- don't most carriers these days charge the same price regardless of whether you buy one way versus round trip?
Typically to domestic destinations (U.S. or Canada) and to most destinations outside the U.S. that WestJet has fares to, a one way fare can be had for approximately 50-60% of a roundtrip fare.

Once you go beyond that the range into Europe/Asia/etc, it becomes more carrier specific, and many airlines will charge as much (and sometimes more!) for a one way fare than for a roundtrip fare. But there are exceptions, such as charter airlines to Europe (Air Transat, Condor) that charge the 50-60% price for one ways.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:01 PM   #3263
Maccalus
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I want to send out one more thanks to cmyden for his hard work on finding these deals. My Fiance and I are currently in Maui, using that rediculously cheap united flight deal from many months ago, and are loving it.

Thanks again
Maccalus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maccalus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2014, 10:20 PM   #3264
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccalus View Post
I want to send out one more thanks to cmyden for his hard work on finding these deals. My Fiance and I are currently in Maui, using that rediculously cheap united flight deal from many months ago, and are loving it.

Thanks again
We are heading down in 2 weeks I can't wait!
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:30 PM   #3265
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Flight deals

I've found that sometimes the best deals are not even from Calgary. We went to Vegas flying from Montana (Allegiant Air) and saved about 50%. Not for everyone and even more tricky if you have small kids, but definitely worth checking out.

Aside from that - we use Air Miles whenever we can as flights to YVR tend to be insanely high, especially during the holidays.

Anyone find any spring break deals? My guess is that prices will continue to rise as it gets closer
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:23 PM   #3266
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Don't think anyone replied. Is there ever any cheap flights to Vancouver Island, want to go to Tofino, keep looking at it always seems $400+. Given HNL is $700 or less, seems a bit pricey.
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:54 AM   #3267
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchlandsselling View Post
Don't think anyone replied. Is there ever any cheap flights to Vancouver Island, want to go to Tofino, keep looking at it always seems $400+. Given HNL is $700 or less, seems a bit pricey.
As someone who lives on VI, I haven't seen a far from Calgary lower than the $350-$450 range in about three years.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2014, 07:30 AM   #3268
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchlandsselling View Post
Keep checking WJ Encore. I got in early when they first introduced their flight from Calgary to Nanaimo and I was able to get 2 flights for 450 return - so 225 per person. I'd check today since they usually do their blue tag deal.....
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:39 PM   #3269
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone know why trips to Punta Cana are so expensive now?

In the past 5 years, I have found deals from $1100 - $1400 for decent resorts, AI.

Now, even the lower rated resorts are priced at $1600+

Want to go on an AI trip, Fiancee is not too keen on Mexico, and we enjoy being gluttons, so worried about Cuba as the food there apparently sucks.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:52 PM   #3270
Byrns
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm thinking of heading to either LA or San Diego in May with my wife and 4y daughter. Is one better than the other for little kids? (she was at Disneyworld recently so Disneyland isn't needed)

I'll be renting a car, and don't mind driving.
Byrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:32 PM   #3271
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrns View Post
I'm thinking of heading to either LA or San Diego in May with my wife and 4y daughter. Is one better than the other for little kids? (she was at Disneyworld recently so Disneyland isn't needed)

I'll be renting a car, and don't mind driving.
San Diego has the Zoo and Sea World in the city, which would probably both be interesting for a 4 year-old. Legoland and the Wild Animal Park are both about halfway between San Diego and Anaheim (both slightly closer to San Diego).

Disneyland is different enough from Disney World that it's worth the visit.

Other than those types of attractions, I personally prefer San Diego. The traffic isn't quite as insane and the people seem more laid-back.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:12 PM   #3272
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

+1 for SD, especially if you have a little one with you. If you're going in May, I would consider catching a Padres game at Petco. Seems like a cool stadium, and it's right in the middle of downtown.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2014, 04:30 PM   #3273
CRXguy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What would be a reasonable price to fly out to Vegas from Calgary mid-June? I've been seeing high $400's to mid $500's.

Thanks.

Last edited by CRXguy; 01-29-2014 at 04:40 PM.
CRXguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:28 PM   #3274
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRXguy View Post
What would be a reasonable price to fly out to Vegas from Calgary mid-June? I've been seeing high $400's to mid $500's.

Thanks.
Hard to say as we have always booked flight and hotel package deals but those prices seem somewhat reasonable. Vegas is always way more expensive on weekends. If you need a hotel definitely consider booking a package as it's a better deal.
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2014, 03:28 PM   #3275
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going to Mexico (Mayan Rivera) for a destination wedding. Hotel will be Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe. Either May 17 to 24 or May 18 to 25, whichever is cheaper.

Quick Google search shows lowest price for my wife and I is ~$3500. Seems pretty expensive. Anyone know if there are cheaper deals out there?
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:01 PM   #3276
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
Going to Mexico (Mayan Rivera) for a destination wedding. Hotel will be Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe. Either May 17 to 24 or May 18 to 25, whichever is cheaper.

Quick Google search shows lowest price for my wife and I is ~$3500. Seems pretty expensive. Anyone know if there are cheaper deals out there?

You can do May 17-24 for under $2,900.

Go to Expedia.ca, click "Vacation Packages"
Click "Build your own"
Type in "YYC" in departing, and "Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Mexico" in arriving.
Dates, May 17-24, 1 room, 2 adults
Click "Search"
On the left side, type in "Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe" in the "hotel name contains" field, and select it, click "Go".
Click the yellow "Select Hotel" button when it comes up
Scroll down and click "Keep" beside Junior Suite
For departing flight you'll want to select the 6:40 AM one through Houston for an additional $216 per person, otherwise you're taking a red-eye and not getting there till the next morning
Return flight should be united through Houston leaving cancun at 7 AM, click "keep"

Boom, $2,872.74

The option of shared transportation from airport to the hotel $27.68 per traveller makes it $2,928.10 total

I'll take my 10% finders fee via email money transfer! Thanks!
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2014, 04:22 PM   #3277
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
You can do May 17-24 for under $2,900.

Go to Expedia.ca, click "Vacation Packages"
Click "Build your own"
Type in "YYC" in departing, and "Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Mexico" in arriving.
Dates, May 17-24, 1 room, 2 adults
Click "Search"
On the left side, type in "Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe" in the "hotel name contains" field, and select it, click "Go".
Click the yellow "Select Hotel" button when it comes up
Scroll down and click "Keep" beside Junior Suite
For departing flight you'll want to select the 6:40 AM one through Houston for an additional $216 per person, otherwise you're taking a red-eye and not getting there till the next morning
Return flight should be united through Houston leaving cancun at 7 AM, click "keep"

Boom, $2,872.74

The option of shared transportation from airport to the hotel $27.68 per traveller makes it $2,928.10 total

I'll take my 10% finders fee via email money transfer! Thanks!
Wow. That's awesome man

Thanks!
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:36 PM   #3278
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
Wow. That's awesome man

Thanks!
No problem bring me back something pretty.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:40 AM   #3279
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Barcelo Maya Palace is a great resort; nice find on the deal.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 02-04-2014, 11:35 AM   #3280
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hey Chris,

What price am I looking at for an average for Bali from YYC? I've got to go there next year for my brother's wedding, and i'm starting to plan it out now. We were considering doing bali for a few weeks and then australia for a few weeks after that. We just don't know where to start or what cost we should be looking at.
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote