Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2024, 11:14 AM   #3221
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Just feed it into copilot so we can get a summary.

…how can you expect us to listen to a full recording? You think we have the patience to listen to anything its entirety?

We want out of context snippets so we can overreact and complain about how stupid everyone but us is!

Hear hear! I second this motion. Its our right to make definitive projections based on limited information.
Fan69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 11:41 AM   #3222
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by traptor View Post
I'm not so sure. Pospisil, zary and sharangovich have all shown some potential in the middle.

Maybe they don't think it's as bare as we may think.

I hope they just go BPA, whatever that might be for them.
We need an elite gamebreaker more then any specific positional player.
I’m not convinced any of those guys are best suited for a role at C, let alone a top 2 C. Sharangovich stepped in admirably but seems to be best suited to the wing. I’m not sure why the other two would be considered C’s aside from both of them saying they could play the position. Zary’s production seemed to take a significant step forward on the wing. Did Pospisil play any C in the minors? Zary did, and as far as I recall the results weren’t all tgat noteworthy.

If the Flames want a legitimate top 2 C, their best bet is to draft one, not hope they can convert a winger to be one.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 01:24 PM   #3223
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Zary scored 2 G 2 A in 7 games at C. That's a pretty good scoring pace for a 22 year old rookie. He was drafted as a center as well. I'd like to see him be given a chance to grow into the role.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Savvy27 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2024, 01:39 PM   #3224
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sharangovich’s offense fell out of a window when he moved to centre (at least at 5v5).

Pospisil to me is an agitating winger, and not a centre at the NHL level.

Zary could be a player at C - next year he needs to be FT in the middle.
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 01:46 PM   #3225
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Sharangovich’s offense fell out of a window when he moved to centre (at least at 5v5).

Pospisil to me is an agitating winger, and not a centre at the NHL level.

Zary could be a player at C - next year he needs to be FT in the middle.
and they should slap Zary at C and leave him there all season. Don't bounce him around the way you did Bennett - give him a defined role, clear expectations, and opportunity to grow.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2024, 01:59 PM   #3226
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pick up Necas and then Run with Necas and Zary as centres for next season.

Necas
Kadri
Zary
Backlund
keenan87 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2024, 02:13 PM   #3227
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Pick up Necas and then Run with Necas and Zary as centres for next season.

Necas
Kadri
Zary
Backlund
Kadri
Backlund
Necas
Zary

Fixed it for you.

Doubt very much Huska would be playing Zary ahead of Backlund. Necas, maybe.
Old 05-18-2024, 02:19 PM   #3228
flamesgod
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Kadri
Backlund
Necas
Zary

Fixed it for you.

Doubt very much Huska would be playing Zary ahead of Backlund. Necas, maybe.
If that’s the case, ship Backlund out. Much rather see Zary getting top 9 reps then Backlund.
flamesgod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesgod For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2024, 02:55 PM   #3229
Royle9
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Depending on the acquisition cost Necas would definitely fit the bill.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 03:15 PM   #3230
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesgod View Post
If that’s the case, ship Backlund out. Much rather see Zary getting top 9 reps then Backlund.
You must be new here.

Flames won’t be doing that.
Old 05-18-2024, 03:21 PM   #3231
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
You must be new here.

Flames won’t be doing that.
flamesgod

Not new but could be Zary's dad
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2024, 03:41 PM   #3232
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Depending on the acquisition cost Necas would definitely fit the bill.
Fit the bill for what?

He seems to be what the Flames have in spades. Second line forward or perhaps top line winger. Zary, Coronato, Sharangovich, Pelletier, Kuzmenko, Posposil, Honzek…..Stromgren? Flames are chalk-block full of player who fit this profile. Maybe Zary can play C but you probably don’t need several of those guys. There’s been talk of Honzek at C, Zary now and Sharangovich played there for half this season already. How many ‘projects’ do they need?

I think the Flames should be focused on finding legitimate C’s who actually project to be the 1C they need. If Lindstrom falls to them, that would be hard to pass up even if Iginla’s on the board because Iginla fits into the top 6 winger profile as well. If a C isn’t there a guy with 1D potential should be prioritized. They seems to have a good collection of depth but it doesn’t look like they have a legitimate 1D. Parek, Dickinson, Yakumchuk all good options.
Old 05-18-2024, 03:59 PM   #3233
Royle9
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

We have an abundance of 65pt RHS centers who can perform in the playoffs and are 25 years old?

News to me.

The guy is 1 season removed from 70pts where he played 2nd and 3rd line minutes.
He would instantly be our #1C and be a long term fit with our rebuild.
Quote:
Zary, Coronato, Sharangovich, Pelletier, Kuzmenko, Posposil, Honzek…..Stromgren
Not one of the above are close to a comparison for Necas… like none. How is he a project? He’s been an NHL center for 5+ years which is actually longer than any of the guys mentioned above.

He’d have more points than all of them, he’s a RHS center and established in the NHL and doesn’t disappear in the playoffs.

Honzek is years away from the NHL and a winger, Stromgen too. In fact everyone but Zary are wingers. Sharangovich struggled at center when we traded away Lindholm, he was basically a placeholder as we had nothing else.

He’s better today than everyone on that list and plays the premier posistion.
Guys like Kuzmenko and Sharangovich are trade targets at this point where as Necas would fit as our #1C long term.

If Lindstrom falls to 9 it’s because the rumours are true and his injuries are more severe than anticipated and teams are not wanting to take the risk with so many good prospects available. I’d hope Craig would do the same.

Last edited by Royle9; 05-18-2024 at 04:12 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2024, 04:04 PM   #3234
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
We have an abundance of 65pt RHS centers who can perform in the playoffs and are 25 years old?

News to me.

The guy is 1 season removed from 70pts where he played 2nd and 3rd line minutes.

Not one of the above are close to a comparison for Necas… like none.
He’d have more points than all of them, he’s a RHS center and established in the NHL and doesn’t disappear in the playoffs.

He’s better today than everyone on that list.
Guys like Kuzmenko and Sharangovich are trade targets at this point where as Necas would fit as our #1C long term.
Strange. Looks like he finished the season on the third line playing winger to Jack Drury, whoever that is. Also interesting the Canes brought in Kuznetzov.

Apparently the Hurricanes must not know what they’re doing.
The Following User Says Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2024, 04:39 PM   #3235
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draft Thoughts (Goalie Edition, Vol. 1):

LHG Kim Saarinen, 6'4",181lbs

HPK (U20): 14-5-0, 2.41 GAA, .977 SV%
HPK (Liiga): 1-0-1, 2.46 GAA, .909 SV%
U-18 (Finland): 1-1-0, 0.77 GAA, .952 SV%

Finnish lefty Kim Saarinen has the ideal size that GM's look for, and he also has the ideal birthday, born on July 22nd- making him young by draft standards. In my estimation, it's between two Finnish players for who will be the first goalie taken in the 2024 NHL Draft- Saarinen, or Eemil Vinni. Saarinen is a hybrid goalie, and has legitimate starter potential in the NHL. He uses his size to be efficient in cutting down angles and covering more net, but he's athletic enough to be able to react quickly in diving for loose pucks, or stretching out to make the stop when he has to. He moves surprisingly well for a big guy, but doesn't slide out of position, and doesn't waste any movements. Flexibility is a strength of his, and with his long legs, he can seal off the bottom of the net well. He displays good vision, and does a decent job of tracking the puck, with the ability to look over, and around screens in front. Unlike some other goalies his age, Saarinen is quite good against high-danger, and has a mature approach in how he can shake off a bad goal, and come back strong after a loss. He shows patience, focus, and a good mindset.

There is a perception that Saarinen's blocker is his weakness, and that he can be beat a little easier on that side. Improving his rebound control is a must, as he has some difficulty in corralling loose pucks, and too many shots bounce off of various parts of his body, rather than being swallowed up. Though he's a wall when it comes to high danger chances against, he has a propensity to let in some of the softies, so he needs to improve his focus on the easier shots. Saarinen's stock has gone way up over the course of the season, but he lost his net at the U-18's to Petteri Rimpinen, so there's no telling what that did to his image in the minds of scouts. He could be picked as early as the second round, but I'n guessing third round here.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2024, 04:53 PM   #3236
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

News to me.

Not one of the above are close to a comparison for Necas… like none. How is he a project? He’s been an NHL center for 5+ years which is actually longer than any of the guys mentioned above.

Honzek is years away from the NHL and a winger, Stromgen too. In fact everyone but Zary are wingers. Sharangovich struggled at center when we traded away Lindholm, he was basically a placeholder as we had nothing else.

He’s better today than everyone on that list and plays the premier posistion.

If Lindstrom falls to 9 it’s because the rumours are true and his injuries are more severe than anticipated and teams are not wanting to take the risk with so many good prospects available. I’d hope Craig would do the same.
We don’t need to spend premium assets for this type of player.

Getting Kuzmenko as a throw in or turning a 32 year old into a 25 year old is one thing.

The futures in a Necas trade are more valuable growing with the new core (none of whom are making the roster this year).

Too old.
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 04:57 PM   #3237
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

News to me.

Necas is not a #1C
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2024, 05:19 PM   #3238
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
We don’t need to spend premium assets for this type of player.

Getting Kuzmenko as a throw in or turning a 32 year old into a 25 year old is one thing.

The futures in a Necas trade are more valuable growing with the new core (none of whom are making the roster this year).

Too old.
I was also puzzled by this. What ‘window’ are we referring to? I think the Flames should be looking to take a deeper cut. Trading for Necas seems to be a step in the wrong direction if the Flames are intending to rebuild/retool. Basically, you could argue it’s an even worse timed and less impactful Dougie Hamilton trade. At least the Flames already had a young stable of NHL players and had won a round at that point.

If the intent would be to compete for a playoff spot next year, sure, Necas might help. Certainly increases the chances of the Flames surrendering their first next year to Montreal, opposed to Florida’s.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2024, 05:27 PM   #3239
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draft Thoughts (Goalie Edition, Vol. 2):

LHG Eemil Vinni, 6'2",185lbs

JoKP (Mestis): 37gp, 17-9-10, 2.72 GAA, .892 SV%
JoKP (Playoffs): 7gp, 3-4-0, 3.13 GAA, .867 SV%
Hlinka (Finland): 4gp, 3-1-0, 1.75 GAA, .927 SV%

Eemil Vinni posted excellent numbers against men in the Mestis, the second-tier men's league in Finland, and led the Finns to a third-place finish at last summer's Hlinka Gretzky Tournament. Vinni is a hybrid goalie with above-average athleticism and extra-long limbs for a goalie his size. He shows smooth lateral movement, but needs to get a bit quicker going side-to-side- he doesn't overcommit to shots, or waste movement. Vinni likes to push out from the goal-line and challenge shooters aggressively. He employs a strong technique, and those long limbs are a strength, with the ability to stretch out his legs quickly to make stops at the bottom of the net, and he has a good glove and blocker. He is not afraid to leave the crease to stop the puck for his D, or to try and make a pass, although he could use work on this skill. He stays calm, poised, and focused, which has a positive effect on his team- he's competitive and confident in his ability to make stops, and exhibits a good mental makeup.

Though he shows a strong emphasis on his technical skill, he still gives up too many softies, so he needs to improve his focus on the easier shots. Though he is 6'2", he's not considered to be a "big" goalie, and he sometimes has issues in tracking the play when there's layers of traffic in front of him. Like many young goaltenders it seems, he also has problems in controlling rebounds,and too many of these wind up in dangerous areas. He needs to better learn to turn the shots he can't absorb towards the corner, and away from danger. I think it may come down to two Finnish goalies, Vinni and Kim Saarinen, for who will be the first goalie taken in the draft. Vinni's potential is as a starting goalie in the NHL, and he could be picked as early as the second round- but I'm guessing that netminders will have to wait until the third to start coming off the board.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2024, 05:31 PM   #3240
Royle9
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

For one I never said I would spend premium assets on Necas, I simply said he would fit into a rebuild here, and technically he would because he’s the age.

Second he could be a 1C here because we don’t have one, unless you consider Kadri a 1C which he really isn’t. As of right now he would fit into a 1a/b role because we’re weak at center depth.

On most teams I agree he’s not.

He played over 75% of the season at center, so to say the last game or two he played on Drury’s wing is puzzling.. what are you trying to prove? Players move up and down the lineup quite frequently on most teams. Elias Peterson was on the 3rd and 4th line in this series vs Edmonton, does that make him terrible?

3rd - Carolina just got eliminated, so I’d agree with the Canes not knowing what they’re doing because they’re out and that means they failed, Brindamour said it himself.

They failed to address their biggest need and it showed in the playoffs. Does that make them bad? No, but Necas wasn’t the problem and Kuznetsov didn’t address anything either.

Their biggest issue was goaltending mixed with top players not performing, which plagued a number of teams this year.

But to compare Necas to the list of players you did was not accurate and to say he wouldn’t be a 1C on this team is also not accurate because this team lacks both RHS and young centres, not to mention ones who put up 60+ pts.

Would I trade our 9th? Nope
Would trade 29th-32nd and say Mangi for his rights? Absolutely

Unless I missed it, nobody identified any sort of cost to acquire, I simply said that Necas would fit a hole on this team and is young enough to make it work. Especially considering the flames don’t want a complete tear down and want to “re-tool”

Last edited by Royle9; 05-18-2024 at 05:55 PM.

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft