Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2022, 12:31 PM   #301
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
Here is, officially, the names of the first 11 charged at Coutts, and the charges against them:

Ursula Allred
  • Mischief to property over $5,000.
  • Possession of a weapon.

Luke Berk

Chris Carbert
  • Conspiracy to murder.

Evan Colenutt

Johnson Chichow Law

Christopher Lysak
  • Conspiracy to murder.
  • Uttering threats.

Justin Martin

Stewart Eastin Oler

Anthony Olienick
  • Conspiracy to murder.

Joanne Person

Janx Zaremba
#### me

i know the brother of one of those guys.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2022, 12:31 PM   #302
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm still fuming over that clip of the cops shaking hands and hugging those f'ing lunatics.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 12:32 PM   #303
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I'm not sure I understand the whataboutism regarding future environmental protests, as if we don't already have a recent example of this happening (which, if we're trying to accuse each other of being hypocritical, saw the CPC call for forceful action just 12 days after blockades began, and saw many posters here who are suddenly concerned for the rights of protestors also advocate for the government "forcing" the RCMP to intervene, calling people terrorists, calling the response pathetic, hoping people die, and advocating for sending in the army).

This is, of course, the railway blockades in February 2020 in support of the Wet’suwet’en fight against CoastLink.

As a reminder, here is how that played out:

Not the similarities and differences. As far as timeline goes, overall it's similar. However, few blockades during the previous protest were active for more than a few days. The RCMP made many arrests while this time they seemed fairly reluctant to even issue fines.

The Conservatives pushed for forceful action while the Liberals pushed for ongoing dialogue. The Liberals eventually took to forceful action. Compare that with this current iteration, where the Conservatives have pushed for dialogue, and the Liberals have not, but have also avoided forceful action thus far. You can decide for yourself whether dialogue was necessary or not in either case, but it's worth noting that the dialogue in one concerned the protection of indigenous land rights, and the dialogue in the other concerned the removal of health restrictions and of Trudeau as PM (among other things).

Looking at a provincial level, I don't think it needs to be pointed out that the entire reason Kenney and the UCP introduced Bill 1 was due to the Wet'suwet'wen protests, a Bill he was reluctant to enforce on the Coutts protest, despite it being far more damaging and long lasting than anything that occured in Alberta during the Wet'suwet'wen protests.

All in all, if we're looking for hypocrisy or a gotchya, it's clear to see that the Liberals favoured a softer response in statements previously but have acted in a softer manner this time, while the actions and many statements of the Conservatives have been a complete reversal. There's still room for the Liberals to enforce much harsher measures, though.

Looking for hypocrisy and bias in response to these issues is a game pretty much everyone is destinted to lose. Why play? Looking for a gotchya? There's no shortage of them, including from the people most eager to play the game, so I would just avoid that nonsense entirely. I think we can do without.
I think the liberal governments handling of the two was similar enough to say that both response were not race driven. The big difference between the two responses was likely due to the nature of the large trucks being involved being a new scenario to deal with and potentially after an investigation into Sloly issue with law enforcement negligence.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 12:35 PM   #304
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
I'm still fuming over that clip of the cops shaking hands and hugging those f'ing lunatics.
If it’s the ones from the disbursements then being friendly as you clear out the crossing is likely in the best interests of everyone.

Saying we are on your side and we are sorry we have to do this may be the correct strategy. You might even get confessions out of it. Slow escalation of force is important.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2022, 12:51 PM   #305
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

No need to hack the donation site when the protesters willingly sign the flag like some sort of High School Reunion memorial:

Spoiler!
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 12:53 PM   #306
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
No need to hack the donation site when the protesters willingly sign the flag like some sort of High School Reunion memorial:

Spoiler!
Can we ####ing stop defacing the flag.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2022, 12:55 PM   #307
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
If it’s the ones from the disbursements then being friendly as you clear out the crossing is likely in the best interests of everyone.

Saying we are on your side and we are sorry we have to do this may be the correct strategy. You might even get confessions out of it. Slow escalation of force is important.
Yeah, I'm sure that's right. I'm telling myself it's part of their strategy and it does help deescalate but maybe someone can tell me the last time protestors got hugs from the police. Holy ####.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 12:56 PM   #308
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Peace, love, and Woodstock vibes for all the patriots. All's well that ends well.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1493587546550542338
what a white out!
Old 02-15-2022, 01:00 PM   #309
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Spoiler!

It's not a big surprise, but almost every place name I can read is rural. A couple Calgary, but not much. Outlines the real political challenge the UCP has.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 01:02 PM   #310
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Can we ####ing stop defacing the flag.
At least its held up by tuck tape . . .
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 01:06 PM   #311
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I recognize a pile of names on that flag. Whether or not they're who I think they are is a whole other can of worms.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 01:20 PM   #312
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Peace, love, and Woodstock vibes for all the patriots. All's well that ends well.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1493587546550542338
Somebody brought up on Twitter, the same thing that has been niggling at me since seeing this video.

When have you ever hugged a cop or had one who allowed you to hug them? I mean one that you're not good friends with or related to. Especially when they are wearing their service revolver? And after they've arrested 11 people at Coutts, with charges such as conspiracy to commit murder? Or the 12th or 13th arrestee that tried to run them over and nearly succeeded? But no concerns about who else might have been thinking about what the first 11 were charged with, so let's hug it out? It just seems very very odd to me but whatever, I guess.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 01:20 PM   #313
CactusJack
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
#### me

i know the brother of one of those guys.
I used to work with one of the ones charged with Conspiracy To Murder! Dude is effed for life now.
CactusJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 01:23 PM   #314
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Spoiler!
This came from Jen Gerson's story about her day at the coutt's blockade.

https://theline.substack.com/p/dispa...nt-god?r=5xao4

Jen Gerson is typically a centrist at heart and so her commentary is always sobering - especially when i start to get a little to incensed, she or her colleagues at the line usually have a sobering article to pull be back to rationale thought

It has some interesting insight from one of the organizers:
(spoiler: typical Pro-Christian, racial undertones, with big splash of American style influence to push it all in:

Spoiler!

The divide here is average supporters see this whole thing as an FU to Trudeau and the mandates. Which is a cursory view of the original idea.

But the rest see this for what it is. A group of people who are frankly all too willing to let democracy go to #### in order to protect their outdated way of life - not like it was under any real threat to begin with.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2022, 01:24 PM   #315
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did someone sign Jason Kenney's name on that flag? I would have.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 01:28 PM   #316
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Conspiracy to Murder?"

What was going on down there?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 01:29 PM   #317
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Did someone sign Jason Kenney's name on that flag? I would have.
in crayon
Old 02-15-2022, 01:30 PM   #318
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Jen Gerson is typically a centrist at heart and so her commentary is always sobering - especially when i start to get a little to incensed, she or her colleagues at the line usually have a sobering article to pull be back to rationale thought

That is a ####ing scary read

The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2022, 01:32 PM   #319
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It has some interesting insight from one of the organizers:
(spoiler: typical Pro-Christian, racial undertones, with big splash of American style influence to push it all in:

Spoiler!

The divide here is average supporters see this whole thing as an FU to Trudeau and the mandates. Which is a cursory view of the original idea.

But the rest see this for what it is. A group of people who are frankly all too willing to let democracy go to #### in order to protect their outdated way of life - not like it was under any real threat to begin with.
There is a huge component of this guided by religion that doesn't get talked about much. I've tuned in to some of the live streams of their speeches, and most of them invoke god in some way. They defend their actions because god is on their side, so it can't possibly be wrong. Except that they just made that up in their head. It's really hard to discuss something rationally when a person feels their choice isn't one they made, but one assigned by whoever they worship. It may also help explain why they are so easily fooled into believing nonsense without fact. Reason and science need not apply.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2022, 01:32 PM   #320
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did we really require invoking the Emergencies Act?
I think it's reasonable for me to support universally applied rule of law to any similar blockade situation without supporting this. Or is it simply good theater?
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote