Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 06:04 PM   #301
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I have to agree with moon and some others here, I really don't see Smid as a top four guy. There is a big difference between a guy who can play in the top four and a guy who gets limited minutes in the 5th or 6th role.

The Flames still easily won this deal though.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #302
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Oiler hockey is must see T.V. now just to watch that defense.

do you think the Oiler players are just about to pack it in after seeing the moves today?
Old 11-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #303
DOOM
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
LOL

I said what many others have said in this thread yet it is my post you single out and try to spin into something I didn't come close to saying.

If you have that much of an obssession with me or hate my posts that much perhaps it is time you put me on ignore or step away from CP because there is no reason to try and clog up threads with your constant whining about me as a poster.

Oh, the irony.

You always have to go above and beyond.

Love this trade.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:06 PM   #304
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ven27 View Post
How can you say whether or not he's a legit top 4 on a playoff team when he's been on the Oilers for the past several seasons?
I guess what I meant is that if Smid is in your top 4 you will have a hard time making the play-offs and will have to make up for it by being much stronger in other areas.

He is suited for playing bottom pairing minutes about 10 minutes ES plus some SH time.

He isn't awful but isn't strong enough defensively/too slow to be going against other teams top 6 all the time and very scary if asked to play the puck as well.

Fine addition for what we gave up and hopefully able to reduce role of Butler/SOB so improvement for the Flames but not really a top 4 guy as many have mentioned in the thread.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to moon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #305
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

A little background on Olivier Roy.

He played here in Cape Breton to start his major junior career. He was an excellent goaltender for the Eagles. Easily one of the best, if not the best goalie in the QMJHL by the time he ran out his junior stint.

He performed better than expected in his rookie year, and carried the torch of being a starting goalie at a young age and carried it well. It ate me up inside that one of the boys on my junior team was drafted by the Oilers. In fact when I learned to the trade I dropped what I was doing (ironically I was doing work for the guy that was Roy's billet) to see what the reaction was on CP.

Roy was traded after the Eagles tried to make a championship run in a year they had no business making a championship run and only now is the organization starting to recover. But that's neither here nor there.

Roy was an excellent goaltender in junior and the last of the former Cape Breton goalie factory (see: MA Fleury and Ondrej Pavelec).

I haven't followed his career after junior, apparently his junior successes haven't translated in the Edmonton organization (but in fairness, who is the last goaltender they developed? Fuhr?)

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #306
$ven27
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
I guess what I meant is that if Smid is in your top 4 you will have a hard time making the play-offs and will have to make up for it by being much stronger in other areas.

He is suited for playing bottom pairing minutes about 10 minutes ES plus some SH time.

He isn't awful but isn't strong enough defensively/too slow to be going against other teams top 6 all the time and very scary if asked to play the puck as well.

Fine addition for what we gave up and hopefully able to reduce role of Butler/SOB so improvement for the Flames but not really a top 4 guy as many have mentioned in the thread.
Don't really agree with that assessment, but I guess we'll see whether or not he is in the next few weeks.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #307
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

This makes me think that the Oiler have to be cooking something else up on the back end, no way they get rid of Smid when they Defense is already that horrible without bringing something in.

They got Bryz signed, ditched a salary, now I see one of their big names moving for a big young D..
Old 11-08-2013, 06:12 PM   #308
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really like the move, Smid is one of only a few Oilers that I actually like. He's not known for his offensive prowess obviously, but at least is capable of being a top four defender in today's game. Flames really gave up nothing, since Horak won't amount to much, and obviously Gillies is ahead of Brossoit in the order (as is Ortio I imagine). Sure Brossoit put up good numbers on a great Oil Kings team, but look what happened when he tried to suit up during the World Juniors and the Memorial Cup against stiffer opposition. For goaltenders it's hard to tell what to expect from them during their careers, but I don't see Brossoit amounting to a whole lot.

Not every move made during a rebuild has to be for picks, prospects, or young guys. Smid is a guy who could easily be on the Flames for years to come, well past the rebuild. Or he could be dealt for picks/prospects, as his cap hit is quite reasonable for a top four defender.

I honestly think this is one of Feaster's best moves yet, and glad he was willing to make a deal with the desperate Oilers who needed the capspace. It's about time the Flames took advantage of this because if our current situation. Got something pretty decent for essentially nothing, what's wrong with that?

Oh and this guy will actually stand up to other players without being almost useless (ala Jackman, McGratton, and O'Brien).
Old 11-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #309
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree Smid may have got 1st pairing minutes with the Oilers but I would like them to put him in 3rd pairing minutes and push 1 of our current 5-6 off the dressed roster.
My guess is they want him to eventually move up to the 2nd pairing while Gio is out?
Old 11-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #310
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Feaster on the Fan now talking about trade.
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #311
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Like the deal. Horak was never going to be a flame for an extended period of time.
The Following User Says Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2013, 06:15 PM   #312
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames also managed to maintain their professional contract number, meaning they can still make an imbalanced deal or sign a free agent.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #313
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

“@AAVickers: Feaster tells Peter Loubardias on @Sportsnet960 the #Flames/#Oilers trade has been in the works for about three weeks.”

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #314
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Absolute steal

Old 11-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #315
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanda View Post
does this teams management really feel like 1 off-season is a good rebuild?

The team seems to have been in win-now mode the entire time, dating back to drafting Monohan (We need a player who can play in the NHL next season)... why?

Cant we suck for 2-5 years and then go into win-now mode?

Very frustrating that they would make a short-sighted move to bandage the Giordano injury when we could have promoted from within.
First off, it's Monahan.

Maybe the Flames' management thought that they didn't want to shatter their current goalies' mindsets by having such a porous defence in front of them. With Gio out, this will help the defence in the short term, and when Gio is back, it will be even stronger. The Flames are 13th in goals for and 29th in goals against in the league right now. If they stop letting in so many goals, the team will be better, they will be more confident and it will continue on the rebuild. Smid helps us now, and in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #316
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Makes sense for the Flames, makes no sense for the Oilers.

I like Horak a lot and it wasn't much more than a year ago when people were talking about Brossoit as a goalie with a bright future. It's interesting how quickly young goalies rise and fall and then maybe rise again from year to year. Could still turn into a win for Edmonton over time. Right now, it's decent value for the Flames and it's easy to see why they did the deal.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #317
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Wes Gilbertson ‏@SUNGilbertson 10s #Flames will assign G Olivier Roy to Alaska of the ECHL.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #318
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

“@AAVickers: Feaster: Thought deal could've been done a week ago, but #Oilers had other irons in fire. Edmonton came back and wanted to finalize a deal.”

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #319
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanda View Post
does this teams management really feel like 1 off-season is a good rebuild?

The team seems to have been in win-now mode the entire time, dating back to drafting Monohan (We need a player who can play in the NHL next season)... why?

Cant we suck for 2-5 years and then go into win-now mode?

Very frustrating that they would make a short-sighted move to bandage the Giordano injury when we could have promoted from within.
You might have a point if Calgary had traded some draft picks for Smid, but they traded two players that may or may not have what it takes to stick in the NHL for a player that is already NHL caliber. And he's a quality young defenceman (which Calgary desperately needs) signed to a very reasonable contract. There is nothing short sighted about this move, it's exactly what any rebuilding team should do if given the chance

From an Oilers perspective however it's ridiculous, that team has zero direction
Old 11-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #320
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
I have to agree with moon and some others here, I really don't see Smid as a top four guy. There is a big difference between a guy who can play in the top four and a guy who gets limited minutes in the 5th or 6th role.

The Flames still easily won this deal though.
Last season Smid was 3rd among all defensemen in hits and 6th in blocked shots. Those are pretty impressive stats for a bottom pairing guy.

Pretty sure he also led the Oilers in Penalty Kill minutes.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread