Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2014, 11:44 AM   #301
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished The Triple Agent by Pulitzer winning Washington Post journalist Joby Warrick. It's about Humam al-Balawi; a perceived Al-Qaeda double agent secretly working with the CIA, who ended up blowing himself up (and taking several CIA members with him in the agency's largest loss of life in decades) inside the CIA's eastern Afghanistan Khost base in 2009. For those of you who saw the movie Zero Dark Thirty, you'll remember the scene.

Very gripping with a good look into CIA and White House discussions with the current Presidential administration, very interesting to get an inside look at current U.S. tactics against the Taliban. I wasn't really aware of those Predator drone mini-aircraft wreaking havoc on Al-Qaeda hideouts all through the tribal regions, that's some Terminator 2 stuff right there.
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:30 PM   #302
Shawnski
CP's Resident DJ

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
You must be a speed reader - it would take me weeks or months to read the first link, and all the annotations.

I know little about economics, so I have little to offer in a debate. The information is there to consider for those who are interested. Seems to me praxeology is heavily criticized (not that I know much about it).

http://world.std.com/~mhuben/austrian.html

Free is when you don't have to
Pay for nothing
Or do nothing
We want to be free
Free as the wind
So troutman, being a lawyer, you walk into a courtroom and profess:

"Your Honour, I understand many people think my client is innocent. I have a box of stuff here that may confirm it."

"Dig through it and you should agree"

If you pulled that shyte off in court you would be laughed out and perhaps disbarred. What makes you think you can throw a bunch of stuff up against the wall and think it will work?

You already said it in the bolded part. "I know little about economics"

Then why are you throwing shyte up against the wall here? Let alone calling something "debunked".

Again, I do not want to derail this thread. So if you want to debate, open a new thread.
Shawnski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:26 AM   #303
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnski View Post
So troutman, being a lawyer, you walk into a courtroom and profess:

"Your Honour, I understand many people think my client is innocent. I have a box of stuff here that may confirm it."

"Dig through it and you should agree"

If you pulled that shyte off in court you would be laughed out and perhaps disbarred. What makes you think you can throw a bunch of stuff up against the wall and think it will work?

You already said it in the bolded part. "I know little about economics"

Then why are you throwing shyte up against the wall here? Let alone calling something "debunked".

Again, I do not want to derail this thread. So if you want to debate, open a new thread.
Why so angrily defensive? This isn't court it's an internet message board. Open any thread and people will be throwing all sorts of stuff against the wall.

And the title of the article in the first link is "Debunking Austrian Econmics - not the poster's personal belief in it.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:57 AM   #304
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
Why so angrily defensive? This isn't court it's an internet message board. Open any thread and people will be throwing all sorts of stuff against the wall.

And the title of the article in the first link is "Debunking Austrian Econmics - not the poster's personal belief in it.
Given Shawnski's personal expenditure of time into the subject, and his obvious reading of difficult writers, a silly response like Troutman's would have made me angry too.

I am reading "The Wilder Shores of Marx" by Anthony Daniels, "The Man Who Mistook his Wife for a Hat" by Oliver Sacks, and re-reading "Reflections on the Revolution in France," by Edmund Burke.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:32 AM   #305
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

A little context - Shawnski and I know each other. He is a really good guy. If I annoyed him, I am sorry, but our conversation probably comes across more "aggressive" than it really is. I do commend him like peter12 says for taking on a challenging 900 page book. I never heard about praxeology, so I was curious to see what it was about. The subject seems to be at the very least "controversial". If someone wanted to start at thread about, I would be interested to read that. I might not have much to contribute, but I could certainly learn something. Nothing personal with Shawnski.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:05 PM   #306
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
A little context - Shawnski and I know each other. He is a really good guy. If I annoyed him, I am sorry, but our conversation probably comes across more "aggressive" than it really is. I do commend him like peter12 says for taking on a challenging 900 page book. I never heard about praxeology, so I was curious to see what it was about. The subject seems to be at the very least "controversial". If someone wanted to start at thread about, I would be interested to read that. I might not have much to contribute, but I could certainly learn something. Nothing personal with Shawnski.
In that case, apologies to you and Shawnski for butting in.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:09 AM   #307
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Some of you read some extremely boring books.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:33 AM   #308
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Some of you read some extremely boring books.
I agree, this thread and life if general would be way better if everyone had the exact same interests as you. You would never be bored with anything again... Ever.

Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:30 AM   #309
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
If you are guys are into light fantasy similar to ASOIAF, check out the Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. The fantasy/magic factor is more prominent in these books but it's explained and fits in really well. The way it all comes together is rather amazing well thought out.

The one negative I can think of is that some of the dialogue is cliche at times but that didn't stop me from putting the book down haha. I'm about 3/4 done the last book.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6...logy-boxed-set

Some of the reviews are pretty 'meh' on there and with good reason most times. It's only a trilogy (plus one standalone epilogue book) and a pretty quick read, so check it out if you're interested.
Actually, Alloy of Law isn't a standalone. It's the first novel of a second trilogy. I liked the Mistborn series, but was unsure about Alloy. And I was wrong - it was the best book of the four! Can't wait for the sequel.

Also in fantasy, I've been reading Chris Wooding's Tales of the Ketty Jay series lately. I would describe it as being almost Firefly-esque except set inside a world rather than in space.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:40 AM   #310
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Actually, Alloy of Law isn't a standalone. It's the first novel of a second trilogy. I liked the Mistborn series, but was unsure about Alloy. And I was wrong - it was the best book of the four! Can't wait for the sequel.
That's good to hear, I'm just about to start Alloy of Law. I knew he was writing other Mistborn sequels but I didn't know it would be another trilogy. Can't wait!
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:44 PM   #311
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I just finished reading No Shortcuts to the Top by Ed Viesturs. It was an interesting read and motivational as well. You don't need to be a mountain climber to appreciate what he did. I feel like such a slacker now!
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:02 AM   #312
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
I agree, this thread and life if general would be way better if everyone had the exact same interests as you. You would never be bored with anything again... Ever.

Make it so.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:12 AM   #313
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
That's good to hear, I'm just about to start Alloy of Law. I knew he was writing other Mistborn sequels but I didn't know it would be another trilogy. Can't wait!
I read (perhaps on his website) that Sanderson was considering three trilogies. One in the classic fantasy setting, then one in an early industrial setting (Where Alloy of Law begins) and one in a more technologically advanced setting (which worries me).
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:27 AM   #314
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm reading Brandon Sanderson as well at the moment. Words of Radiance which is book two of the Stormlight Archive. The best writing Sanderson has done IMO.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:06 AM   #315
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nothing personal, but I always feel that fantasy readers are just being taken for a ride by the writers. Three trilogies? Really? Does the world need that much fantasy literature?
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:28 AM   #316
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Nothing personal, but I always feel that fantasy readers are just being taken for a ride by the writers. Three trilogies? Really? Does the world need that much fantasy literature?
Have you heard of the Malazan Book of Fallen series? That's next on my list of fantasy books and it's quite a giant 'ride' haha.

10 books, ranging from 700-1300 pages.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malazan_Book_of_the_Fallen

Last edited by Looch City; 05-16-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:45 PM   #317
Finny61
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not interested in fantasy, have had the bug to read classic novels though. Working on Three Musketeers, a beefy book but not as long as Monte Cristo.
Finny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:40 PM   #318
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Just finished reading the Hyperion Cantos series by Dan Simmons. Very awesome sci-fi read. I wish he would re-visit the series as there's still a lot he could do with that universe

Now I have to decide if I want to invest the time required to get into the Dune series as someone who's never read a book or seen the movie
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:11 PM   #319
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yup Hyperion Cantos was great.

Dune is far better, so yeah read it. Just the ones by Frank Herbert though (and some will say they don't like the latter ones and stop after Children of Dune, God Emperor of Dune is my favourite of the series though and I liked them all).
Old 05-19-2014, 11:37 AM   #320
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just starting Book 2 of Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson - Words of Radiance.

The first one, The Way of the Kings, was pretty great. Might have to seek out a summary of that one though as a refresher, as Sanderson's world are pretty complex. Plus, my memory ain't what it used to be.

Any suggestions for sites that might do fairly concise reviews of books like this. Did a quick search, but mostly just general book reviews.

Here's a link to author's website: http://brandonsanderson.com/books/th...light-archive/