Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #301
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I went to the optometrist today for the first time in 20 years. Back then I was told that one eye was slightly near sighted and the other slightly far sighted. I wore the glasses for about a year but haven't since. Lately I've been having eye strain so went today and my prescription was:

R-eye: +0.00-0.25x125
L-eye: -0.25-0.50x064

What does this mean?

They are recommending Nikon Relaxsee Lenses. Are they any good? Would getting other lenses with the prescription above be okay?

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #302
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hesla, I've been getting some headaches and my wife says it could be an eye problem. It's been two or three years since my last eye exam so I'm due, but could that be the problem? It's just recently started so I need to book in to see my doctor. If it matters, the headaches are dull (mild) at the top left side. They happen randomly maybe a couple times a day.

Edit, maybe I'll contact you by PM as I see you haven't posted here for some time.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #303
hkstylez
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

How hard is it to become an Optometrist? i know a few of them and I've been asking them about around. I might try it.
hkstylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:43 PM   #304
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Hesla, I've been getting some headaches and my wife says it could be an eye problem. It's been two or three years since my last eye exam so I'm due, but could that be the problem? It's just recently started so I need to book in to see my doctor. If it matters, the headaches are dull (mild) at the top left side. They happen randomly maybe a couple times a day.

Edit, maybe I'll contact you by PM as I see you haven't posted here for some time.
Headaches around one or both eyes is often a sign of a prescription change. However, if the headaches are higher up then it could be something else and should be assessed by your GP. Likely a good idea to see the Optometrist to rule out an eye issue.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #305
Knut

Exp:
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkstylez View Post
How hard is it to become an Optometrist? i know a few of them and I've been asking them about around. I might try it.
3-4yrs undergrad biology or biochemistry and then a 4 year program at U of Waterloo or in the states.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #306
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is there anything I can do to delay the need for reading glasses?
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:13 PM   #307
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had some flashing in my left eye that lasted 2 days. I had a really bad sinus infection at the time, and it felt like there was something in my eye. Weird.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:29 PM   #308
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
Is there anything I can do to delay the need for reading glasses?
Reverse the aging process. Honestly there is not much you can do about it. Lots of UV light will quicken the process, so wear sunglasses.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:31 PM   #309
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by missdpuck View Post
I had some flashing in my left eye that lasted 2 days. I had a really bad sinus infection at the time, and it felt like there was something in my eye. Weird.
Should go see your optometrist. Flashing lights coud mean a retinal issue.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #310
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesla View Post
Reverse the aging process. Honestly there is not much you can do about it. Lots of UV light will quicken the process, so wear sunglasses.
Shucks, just one of many things about aging I'm not looking forward to. Thanks for the info.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #311
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

With laser eye surgery having been around for over a decade now as a somewhat common procedure, are you starting to see some long term problems with people who got them done like 10 years ago or more? Also, what is your general opinion of laser eye treatments? I personally haven't had it done (and I have terrible vision) but I know of at least 3 people who had it done some time ago and they all seem pleased with it so far.
darockwilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #312
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darockwilder View Post
With laser eye surgery having been around for over a decade now as a somewhat common procedure, are you starting to see some long term problems with people who got them done like 10 years ago or more? Also, what is your general opinion of laser eye treatments? I personally haven't had it done (and I have terrible vision) but I know of at least 3 people who had it done some time ago and they all seem pleased with it so far.
Long-term results have been good. PRK (the older method) has actually shown better long-term results than LASIK and is back to being the preferred method.

Laser is like any other elective surgery, there are risks involved and patients need to make an informed decision on it. It is not for everybody and there is a small chance something will go wrong (less than 1/100).

Overall, it is great option for some people, but not others.
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #313
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I just had my optometrist refuse to provide me with my PD measurement.

He made up a few ridiculous reasons why:

1) it would make him liable for any glasses I buy online not fitting properly;
2) it is the responsibility of wherever I buy glasses to measure my PD; and
3) PD isn't just a set number, it needs to be adjusted for each pair of glasses as they all sit differently on your face.

#1 is more or less complete load of bull. I couldn't believe he had the balls to even mention it knowing his customer is a lawyer.

#2 makes a little more sense. However, I know he has my PD on file (as I have bought glasses from him in the past, before I discovered that glasses don't have to be $600).

#3 is, as near as I can tell, a lie. PD is simply the distance between your pupils. It doesn't change once your head stops growing.

Now, I understand why he is reluctant to provide the PD to people. It is about the only leverage he has to try to force customers to keep buying glasses from him (at $600) instead of online for $30. It is no different than dozens of other industries that have changed due to technology. The old guard tries to hold on as long as possible to their incredible profit margins.

However, my understanding stops when, after I politely request the information from my file, he refuses to provide it. I know it is in my file already, he doesn't have to perform a new PD test to give it to me. At that point, he is withholding my information from me.

How can he do this without being sanctioned by the College of Optometrists?

Follow-up question - Do you refuse to provide PD measurements?
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:44 PM   #314
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been wearing Acuvue Advance for Astigmatism lenses for the past 10 years or so. No problems, but would love to be able to wake up with clear eye sight rather than hunting for my glasses.

Are extended wear contact lenses safe? What are the risks, and how can I mitigate those risks
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #315
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
I just had my optometrist refuse to provide me with my PD measurement.

He made up a few ridiculous reasons why:

1) it would make him liable for any glasses I buy online not fitting properly;
2) it is the responsibility of wherever I buy glasses to measure my PD; and
3) PD isn't just a set number, it needs to be adjusted for each pair of glasses as they all sit differently on your face.

#1 is more or less complete load of bull. I couldn't believe he had the balls to even mention it knowing his customer is a lawyer.

#2 makes a little more sense. However, I know he has my PD on file (as I have bought glasses from him in the past, before I discovered that glasses don't have to be $600).

#3 is, as near as I can tell, a lie. PD is simply the distance between your pupils. It doesn't change once your head stops growing.

Now, I understand why he is reluctant to provide the PD to people. It is about the only leverage he has to try to force customers to keep buying glasses from him (at $600) instead of online for $30. It is no different than dozens of other industries that have changed due to technology. The old guard tries to hold on as long as possible to their incredible profit margins.

However, my understanding stops when, after I politely request the information from my file, he refuses to provide it. I know it is in my file already, he doesn't have to perform a new PD test to give it to me. At that point, he is withholding my information from me.

How can he do this without being sanctioned by the College of Optometrists?

Follow-up question - Do you refuse to provide PD measurements?
There is no legal obligation for an Optometrist to provide you with the PD measurement. It is his/her legal obligation to provide you with a prescription, as long as you have paid all outstanding balances.

Everyone handles this different. Some places will charge you a set fee for a PD measurement. Other places will not hand it out at all. We generally provide it free of charge, but you have to sit through an Optician providing you with an explanation of the differences in technology out there and the problems associated with ordering glasses online (i posted a study early that showed that 44 to 50% of glasses made online are made incorrectly).

As for the cost of glasses, there is a tonne that goes into it. You are likely getting high quality/high index lenses for that $600. You will likely notice a decrease in the quality of the optics, as well as more chance of the pair being made incorrectly. Everyone has to make their own decision based on price/quality and where that trade-off is.

Honestly, it is a contentious issue, but it has lead to Optometrists trying to find new ways to lower their costs in order to provide good service/products without compromising in quality.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #316
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've had one of those eye floaty squiggly lines in my right eye for almost 2 months. I don't notice it unless I'm out in bright light, It moves a little, shifting toward vertical or horizontal once in a while.

They always used to go away fairly quickly, is it something I should see my Optometrist about now or can it wait until my yearly checkup this spring?
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #317
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
I've been wearing Acuvue Advance for Astigmatism lenses for the past 10 years or so. No problems, but would love to be able to wake up with clear eye sight rather than hunting for my glasses.

Are extended wear contact lenses safe? What are the risks, and how can I mitigate those risks
Personally, I am not a big fan of overnight use of contacts. I find that even if a patient is very diligent in the care, it is only a matter of time before a complication arises. Our dry climate makes it very difficult. I usually try to steer patients towards "flex wear". That means that you can sleep in them occasionally, but not make a daily habit of it.

Yes, there are lenses that are approved for overnight wear (some 6 days, others 30 days). If you are to do it go do a contact lens fitting (or refitting) with your Optometrist and specifically request extended wear lenses. You will likely have a 1 week, 4 week and 6 month follow-up to ensure you are able to wear the contact lenses overnight.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:14 PM   #318
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesla View Post
There is no legal obligation for an Optometrist to provide you with the PD measurement. It is his/her legal obligation to provide you with a prescription, as long as you have paid all outstanding balances.

Everyone handles this different. Some places will charge you a set fee for a PD measurement. Other places will not hand it out at all. We generally provide it free of charge, but you have to sit through an Optician providing you with an explanation of the differences in technology out there and the problems associated with ordering glasses online (i posted a study early that showed that 44 to 50% of glasses made online are made incorrectly).

As for the cost of glasses, there is a tonne that goes into it. You are likely getting high quality/high index lenses for that $600. You will likely notice a decrease in the quality of the optics, as well as more chance of the pair being made incorrectly. Everyone has to make their own decision based on price/quality and where that trade-off is.

Honestly, it is a contentious issue, but it has lead to Optometrists trying to find new ways to lower their costs in order to provide good service/products without compromising in quality.
Thanks Hesla.

As I said, I understand the dilemma he's facing. I think that charging a fee to take the measurement is perfectly reasonable and would likely have resulted in me returning to his establishment in the future. The option he chose, however, means that I won't ever be setting foot in there.

I managed to calculate my PD myself, using a ruler and the camera on my phone. However, I think I'm still going to send him a request, pursuant to the Health Information Act, requesting all of my information on file.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:14 PM   #319
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
I've had one of those eye floaty squiggly lines in my right eye for almost 2 months. I don't notice it unless I'm out in bright light, It moves a little, shifting toward vertical or horizontal once in a while.

They always used to go away fairly quickly, is it something I should see my Optometrist about now or can it wait until my yearly checkup this spring?
It sounds like your normal run of the mill floater, but it may be a good idea to get it checked out. Floaters are quite common, but rarely it could be a piece of retina or there could be some retinal traction (pulling on the retina). Alberta health care would cover you to go get it checked out by an Optometrist (assuming you are in Alberta).
Old 01-28-2013, 03:18 PM   #320
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
Thanks Hesla.

As I said, I understand the dilemma he's facing. I think that charging a fee to take the measurement is perfectly reasonable and would likely have resulted in me returning to his establishment in the future. The option he chose, however, means that I won't ever be setting foot in there.

I managed to calculate my PD myself, using a ruler and the camera on my phone. However, I think I'm still going to send him a request, pursuant to the Health Information Act, requesting all of my information on file.
It is a tough decision. Some people will yell and scream if there is a charge associated with it as well.

Your thoughts on it are the reason that flat out refusal is not an option in my office. We have had great feedback by spending the time while doing a PD measurement to educate patients on the benefits of purchasing in store and I think our patients really appreciate the information.