Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2024, 02:11 PM   #3101
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
I don’t see that anywhere but he also played 16 games and then had a mediocre run in the playoffs. They need a starter.
He’s second if you don’t count guys who only played a couple games, but then he only played 16 (as you said), which is basically like saying LA doesn’t need a starter because they have David Rittich.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2024, 02:28 PM   #3102
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
He’s second if you don’t count guys who only played a couple games, but then he only played 16 (as you said), which is basically like saying LA doesn’t need a starter because they have David Rittich.
Well, yeah, he had almost as many total GSAE as Markstrom this year in probably 1/3 the time.

If you can find some team who wants to take that $12M on, great. I don’t think Carolina is it.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 02:42 PM   #3103
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man I wish Markstrom was worth 10th overall.

Would be pretty sweet to go into this draft with 9, 10, a pick in the late 20's along with two 2nd rounders and two 3rd rounders (three 3rds if Van wins one more game)

That'd be 8 picks in the top 100
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 02:47 PM   #3104
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
Well, yeah, he had almost as many total GSAE as Markstrom this year in probably 1/3 the time.

If you can find some team who wants to take that $12M on, great. I don’t think Carolina is it.
Depends on what site you use but not true on evolving hockey. Also smaller sample sizes weaken your argument. It is harder to maintain an elevated GSAx over more games.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 02:48 PM   #3105
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

Would be pretty sweet to go into this draft with 9, 10, a pick in the late 20's along with two 2nd rounders and two 3rd rounders (three 3rds if Van wins one more game)

That condition is kind of overblown because we have the NJ 4th (107th). It would move to 94th if Vancouver beats the Oilers. Which is something, I guess, but not much.
Old 05-17-2024, 02:49 PM   #3106
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Depends on what site you use but not true on evolving hockey. Also smaller sample sizes weaken your argument. It is harder to maintain an elevated GSAx over more games.
Agreed. We paid Markstrom $24M for roughly 0 GSAE over 4 years so far (MoneyPuck).
Old 05-17-2024, 02:50 PM   #3107
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

Yeah, but he’s not and never was. Only hope for a top ten pick from Markstrom would be a protected pick that turns into a top ten the next year. Hit the trifecta and get Jerseys 25 1st and then they suck two years in a row and get three top ten picks when Vegas falls apart.
Old 05-17-2024, 02:52 PM   #3108
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Agreed. We paid Markstrom $24M for roughly 0 GSAE over 4 years so far (MoneyPuck).
lol keep on moving those goalposts.
Old 05-17-2024, 02:54 PM   #3109
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
lol keep on moving those goalposts.
Am I wrong? That’s how much we paid and that’s what we got.

Every single goalie left in the playoffs makes less than Markstrom except Bobrovsky. I highly doubt Carolina of all teams sees value there.
Old 05-17-2024, 02:57 PM   #3110
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

If/when Edmonton loses, Carolina should be after Pissy.
They can't go on without elite talent and Edmonton is forever in need of depth, which Carolina is full of.
Not that I want Edmonton to get what they need, but these 2 teams seem like perfect trading partners.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 03:03 PM   #3111
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Am I wrong? That’s how much we paid and that’s what we got.

Every single goalie left in the playoffs makes less than Markstrom except Bobrovsky. I highly doubt Carolina of all teams sees value there.
Evolving hockey has him positive over the span. No clue why they spit out different numbers but I bet both of the Bruins goalies, Oettinger, and Demko will be making what Markstrom does in pretty short order.
At some point Carolina will probably stop trying to ride cheap starters deep, they haven’t had much success.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2024, 03:17 PM   #3112
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Evolving hockey has him positive over the span. No clue why they spit out different numbers but I bet both of the Bruins goalies, Oettinger, and Demko will be making what Markstrom does in pretty short order.
At some point Carolina will probably stop trying to ride cheap starters deep, they haven’t had much success.
Maybe, but those guys aren’t as old as Markstrom. For percentage of cap at the time the deal is signed, they might get slightly more. A Treliving special in my opinion.

Do you think they would have beaten New York with Markstrom? The series was a coin flip every game. What Winsor_Pilates suggested would make sense for them, if Edmonton retains, that’s 1x$4.25 for prime Draisaitl and they could really go for it next year.
Old 05-17-2024, 03:21 PM   #3113
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe, but those guys aren’t as old as Markstrom. For percentage of cap at the time the deal is signed, they might get slightly more. A Treliving special in my opinion.

Do you think they would have beaten New York with Markstrom? The series was a coin flip every game. What Winsor_Pilates suggested would make sense for them, if Edmonton retains, that’s 1x$4.25 for prime Draisaitl and they could really go for it next year.
Better goaltending would have given them a much better shot. If Edmonton ponied up for Markstrom at free agency then they’d be in a much better spot than they are now. I think the cheap out goalies trend is starting to fade and it will cycle back to higher paid starters. Edmonton also won’t trade Draisaitl
Old 05-17-2024, 03:22 PM   #3114
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Boomer seemed to confirm that Savard is headed to Toronto as well, not sure the connection but they can have him lol.
I wonder what Tanguay's status is with Detroit.

If Savard moves on to Toronto, maybe the Flames try to bring in Tanguay. He was rumoured to be on the radar back when they hired Savard.
Old 05-17-2024, 03:33 PM   #3115
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’d take Anderson as the 50/50 goaltender to help Wolf. They’re both short and rely on reaction to make saves. Not sure if Anderson wants to come to Calgary given where he is in his career but I think he’s the perfect fit. Not sure handing the reins to Wolf is a good idea as a rookie and a small guy with little defence.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 03:40 PM   #3116
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I wonder what Tanguay's status is with Detroit.

If Savard moves on to Toronto, maybe the Flames try to bring in Tanguay. He was rumoured to be on the radar back when they hired Savard.
I don't see Savard moving. He has two years left on his deal and management thinks he is a brilliant coach. Unless Savard wants out of here.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 03:47 PM   #3117
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
He has two years left on his deal and management thinks he is a brilliant coach.
...why?

The PP he ran was seriously woof.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 03:49 PM   #3118
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't see Savard moving. He has two years left on his deal and management thinks he is a brilliant coach. Unless Savard wants out of here.
I just read he has 1 year left. Signed a 2 year deal when he was hired.

If Boomer thinks he's already gone I'd believe him.
Old 05-17-2024, 03:52 PM   #3119
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
...why?

The PP he ran was seriously woof.
The PP he ran was seriously woof because of the personnel.

The moment a healthy Kuzmenko entered the frame, the PP became a strength...almost as if before Kuzmenko showed up, we were a bottom-5 team skill-wise.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2024, 04:22 PM   #3120
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That would be the key detail, no?

If he wants the Toronto job more.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good