Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2024, 11:39 AM   #3101
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
You can download, install and run Windows 11 even without the product key while you look around for the best price from sources you're comfortable with.
This can be tricky, make damned sure you install the version that you're confident you'll be buying. If you install Professional and buy a key for Home, that's not gonna work so well.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 10:56 AM   #3102
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I run a couple of installs of win11 without a license key. Really haven't had any issues and you don't even get the annoying popup in the bottom right of the screen. I think the only thing I have not been able to do is some theming, display preferences which I do not care about. Everything else including domain binding works just fine.

With the cheap, individual license keys you see for sale, they are usually included in a larger group of licenses. A corporation will buy hundreds and have a few unused so they get resold. Everything works just fine until the corp goes away or they kill the licenses. Not a bad a risk to take given the costs.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 02:13 PM   #3103
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Looks like I did gain 20fps with DLSS, but everything is just a bit blurry. I can gain more with just leaving DLSS off and reducing minor graphics settings, and still look better

I'm guessing it's just like photon said and I'm simply not benefiting from it because my PC is powerful enough anyway? Later tonight or tomorrow I'll fiddle with it in VR since that's more taxing on the system

The main reason I ask is whenever I mention doing a new build next year and going from my 3080 to maybe a 7900xtx people point out that I'll miss out on DLSS, but I'm trying to figure out if that's really something that bugs me or not
Its not so much about image quality but all about smoothness.

Just catching up to this. DLSS will never look as good as running full resolution. It won't make your games look prettier (subjectively it could replace antialiasing). It is however, a fantastic way to squeeze out extra performance and still have great graphics with a small tradeoff.

Back in the day if you were playing Crysis at 1080p and you didn't have enough FPS, you would have to drop to a lower resolution like 720p. That resolution would obviously look uglier, cause more aliasing, etc. and it would look like crap on the native resolution of your monitor.

The strategy now is to always keep games running at native resolution but have the engine render at a much lower internal dynamic resolution depending on your framerate target.

You might be running a 4K monitor but you don't have the GPU to power that. That's fine, the game could run 1080 or 1440p dynamically depending on the situation to hit a certain frame rate target. nvidia DLSS or AMD FSR basically do upscaling like some of those old DVD players did (but with AI). They take that lower resolution scene and upscale it with AI to 4K. It's less compute intensive on the GPU and provides similar image quality depending on what setting you use.

These days, everybody seems to mainly care about "smoothness" and running their games at native res and the maximum refresh rate. With gaming being focused around 100Hz or 144Hz+ monitors, most people seem to want to have their games hitting these framerates for shooters and compeitive play. They want to avoid frame drops and they want vSync and FreeSync and GSync to take care of all this and they want a locked in frame rate. That's another big thing that DLSS/FSR is here to solve. The last aspect of that is the other trend toward getting VRR (Variable Refresh Rate) which more monitors and TVs support. They will be varying their refresh rate (rather than locked at 60Hz ,100Hz, etc.) so that its tied to framerate to avoid tearing and choppiness.

The final piece is DLSS-G which is another evolution in the Ai generation of smoothing out gameplay. Its like the soap opera effect for TVs but for games. G is for frame Generation which AI creates missing inbetween frames to artificially increase your frame rate. This is less costly than actually having the GPU rendering a whole frame. The AI just looks at the scenes and guesses what the inbetween would look like and draws it out.

In the end, all these are great for lower powered gaming devices (all the consoles will be trending this way), handhelds, or most consumer PCs. Nobody is going to be running Cyberpunk at 4K Ultra Settings with maximum Ray Tracing Overdrive at 144 FPS. There is no consumer PC under $10,000 that can run that without DLSS helping.

So far, DLSS and DLSS-G is the superior tech to AMD and I don't think I would ever go AMD at this juncture. That said, I would say if you care about image quality the better investment you could make is an OLED monitor with high refresh rate.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 01-05-2024 at 03:06 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2024, 06:00 PM   #3104
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for the helpful explanation. Still though, and I guess this is my hang up with the whole thing, is in my fiddling around I can still generally just get better looking results and more smoothness and FPS by simply lowering graphics settings and still just leaving DLSS off. Is it just more-so something you'd use if your pc struggled to run something even on low settings?

I'm also just not too hung up on frames though, I mostly play simulators and strategy games so I want to to be as good looking as possible while just being smooth enough to not notice any choppiness. Even when I am playing Tarkov the only thing that interrupts smoothness and FPS is network-related

Last edited by btimbit; 01-05-2024 at 06:03 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 07:25 PM   #3105
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Thanks for the helpful explanation. Still though, and I guess this is my hang up with the whole thing, is in my fiddling around I can still generally just get better looking results and more smoothness and FPS by simply lowering graphics settings and still just leaving DLSS off. Is it just more-so something you'd use if your pc struggled to run something even on low settings?

I'm also just not too hung up on frames though, I mostly play simulators and strategy games so I want to to be as good looking as possible while just being smooth enough to not notice any choppiness. Even when I am playing Tarkov the only thing that interrupts smoothness and FPS is network-related
Lower graphics settings is what people using DLSS don't want to do. They don't want to turn off Ray Tracing and ambient occlusion and and all the crazy stuff. DLSS is both for low end rigs to get up to speed at native res and high end rigs because the most intensive games simply cannot be run on this generation's GPUs.

Playing flight sims like DCS won't matter with DLSS. You barely render anything in a flight sim. It's just an empty sky and ground texture you can't see and a dot on the horizon that is the other plane until it zips by you so quickly you don't even notice. Strategy games are also relatively inexpensive to render as you mostly have a fixed overhead camera and lower polygon field assets.

So maybe for you, its because are you aren't really playing games that take advantage of expensive graphics implementations like ray tracing, etc.

I have a 3080 and I need to have DLSS on to turn on the graphics effects to the level that I want in most of my games. I wish I had a 4000 series so I could have DLSS-G.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 01-05-2024 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-05-2024, 08:04 PM   #3106
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still not sold on DLSS, just don't like the way it makes games look. Even after testing it in Cyberpunk

Frame Generation is sick though, last night I started fiddling with this mod that tricks games into letting 2000 and 3000 RTX cards use AMD frame generation, and it works great without making games look worse.
(Side note but yet another reason why I want to go AMD. All RTX cards can totally handle frame generation but it's just disabled by Nvidia so you buy a overpriced 4000 series card)

Doubled my frames in Microsoft Flight Sim, and doesn't look blurry like turning DLSS on
https://www.nexusmods.com/site/mods/738?tab=description

Last edited by btimbit; 01-06-2024 at 10:59 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 11:51 AM   #3107
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The rubber feet on my son's ASUS laptop are coming off.

I took them off completely and cleaned up the residue. If I was to guess they were stuck on with a thin strip of contact cement, when cleaning it would kind of come off in ribbons but there wasn't any integrity to it so I don't think it was actually double sided tape, but just a "piece" of glue that was put in there.

It is nice as there's a recessed space for them to fit in, so don't have to worry about alignment.

Just wondering what would be the best way to re-attach? I don't know if the feet are just rubber or some kind of silicone/rubber compound. Also not sure I want to use CA glue as being able to remove them in the future seems like a good idea. Just general contact cement?

Memory Express said they won't cover it under warranty since it's not part of the laptop but something stuck on

It's an ASUS GU603ZM (Zephryus M16) and I have seen feet for other models for sale, I guess I could contact ASUS and ask if I could buy replacement feet?
Old 01-07-2024, 12:18 PM   #3108
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

3M press in place emblem adhesive is ideal but it's expensive. Regular 3M molding tape will do the job if you don't mind the pads sticking out a bit more. Key to success with either is heating the surfacing and tape/pads before applying.

Contact cement is too rigid after awhile it lets go I've tried.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2024, 12:31 PM   #3109
photon

Exp:

Yeesh expensive is right! The smaller pad is pretty thin, but the 2nd option is at least a cheap option to try before spending on the more expensive one.
Old 01-08-2024, 10:18 AM   #3110
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I just bought some cheap double sided scotch tape from the store and cut a strip out of it. Doesn't necessarily need to be the strongest stuff as the rubber strip is quite large and the laptop weighs down on it all the time. For the laptops I had, there were often screws hidden under the feet so a permanent solution wasn't possible.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 01-08-2024 at 12:15 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2024, 10:24 AM   #3111
photon

Exp:

Yeah I checked for screws and there aren't any, so I guess the only downside of permanent would be replacing them at some point in the far future.
Old 01-12-2024, 12:22 PM   #3112
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now I've gone and done it.... couldn't resist getting one of these....https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-quantum...oblock-for-ps5

To put in a asus z11 case I picked up from newegg for 80 bucks..

I did have to get another ps5 digital to do it tho. Whoch was actually pretty hard to track down new because it had to be the non release one and not the slim one. Specifically the Sony CFI-1215B Playstation 5 Digital Version . I have a disc version but you have to reattach the disc drive everytime you wanna update it.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 01-12-2024 at 03:05 PM.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2024, 01:05 PM   #3113
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

At the same time I also have parts for this build trickling in.

Cpu: 7800x3d
Gpu:rtx tuf 4090
Ram: dominator
Mobo: asus x670e crosshair
Fans: phantek d30s reverse/standards
Ssds: corsair lp xt pro 2tbs × 2, Samsung 990 pro 2tb x2- to run raid redundancies
Cpu water block: ekwb velocity 2 nickel plated
Gpu water block: corsair xg7
Psu: msi Meg 1300 Atx 3.0
Hardline: corsair 14mm
Reservoir: phanteks glacier 260 w/gen 3 d5 pump/ corsair icue link pump/res combo - may run dual pumps - also easier to fill/empty with 2 - may add anter 360mm 40mm rad so we will see
Fittings: a mix of corsair chome for compression and 90°/ ekwb nickel for the weird offset and rotary ones needed
Radiators :Corsair x7r 360mm x 2
Coolant: corsair clear

Will post when built. Should haul ass.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2024, 01:34 PM   #3114
photon

Exp:

All that you and you didn't post the case?!? You're killing me here.
Old 01-12-2024, 02:47 PM   #3115
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
All that you and you didn't post the case?!? You're killing me here.
O, right lol

Phantek NV7

Also got a 42" lg flex and lg45 last month for monitors . I need curved monitors. The flex to alternate for hockey(flat) and the best eye candy games( cyberpunk etc) go curved.

The 45 for games like rocket leugue and older games to maximize fps.

Upgrading from my build I only did in July....

Z690 asus hero maximus board
13900ks
64gb corsair dominator platinum 5600
Saberant 2 tb m.2
3 noctua a25 for aio
Corsair hi150
2 200mm noctua front fans
1 140 rear noctua fan
Mi mpeg atx 3.0 gold 850 psu
4090 Asus tuf
Alianware aw3423dw
Second monitor: Sony a90k 42"
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase H500P Mesh

I was going to reuse my intel stuff but wanted an upgrade path still.

The wife will get the intel stuff as a upgrade from her 5900x
She will also get the 34 oled as an upgrade from her 38. I'm also going to pull her 4070ti out because she doesn't need it. Ekwb had 3080 water blocks cheap so she'll get the aurous 3080 extreme we have in a box. She mostly works on the computer so she needs more cpu than graphics. The am4 stuff and 4070ti will be our HTC.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 01-12-2024 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-13-2024, 11:26 AM   #3116
photon

Exp:

Speaking of "now I've gone and done it.."

After CES and only seeing OLED OLED OLED and not really wanting to get one since I'm majority productivity and I'm still worried about burn in and text rendering I decided to look back into existing 32" 4K HDR LCDs.

The lease expensive I was looking at is the Samsung Neo G7 but they seem to be out everywhere.. supposedly really good for a VA panel but not a fan of curved monitors. The Neo G8 is still in stock so that was an option.

The ones I really wanted were the IPS panels with Mini LED backlights.. the ASUS ProArt or ASUS ROG PG32UQX or the ViewSonic Elite XG321UG.. but they're all north of $3000!

I was considering getting a productivity 32" and a gaming OLED 32" but then I'd have to refigure out my desk layout.. didn't really like that idea.

Then I found a PG32UQX on Amazon that was "used" or a return or something for quite a bit less than half the normal price. It said "cosmetic defects", but I can live with cosmetic defects.

Just finished installing it and all I can say is wow, HDR is pretty amazing. I can't see any of the supposed cosmetic damage, and whoever had it before barely unpacked it, the only way I could tell was some of the tape was Scotch tape and the box had some scuffs from being shipped around.

Will have to do some testing to make sure there's no dead pixels but so far I think I really lucked out to get the ideal monitor for me for almost the going price for the Samsung Neo G8!
Old 01-13-2024, 11:31 AM   #3117
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Speaking of "now I've gone and done it.."

After CES and only seeing OLED OLED OLED and not really wanting to get one since I'm majority productivity and I'm still worried about burn in and text rendering I decided to look back into existing 32" 4K HDR LCDs.

The lease expensive I was looking at is the Samsung Neo G7 but they seem to be out everywhere.. supposedly really good for a VA panel but not a fan of curved monitors. The Neo G8 is still in stock so that was an option.

The ones I really wanted were the IPS panels with Mini LED backlights.. the ASUS ProArt or ASUS ROG PG32UQX or the ViewSonic Elite XG321UG.. but they're all north of $3000!

I was considering getting a productivity 32" and a gaming OLED 32" but then I'd have to refigure out my desk layout.. didn't really like that idea.

Then I found a PG32UQX on Amazon that was "used" or a return or something for quite a bit less than half the normal price. It said "cosmetic defects", but I can live with cosmetic defects.

Just finished installing it and all I can say is wow, HDR is pretty amazing. I can't see any of the supposed cosmetic damage, and whoever had it before barely unpacked it, the only way I could tell was some of the tape was Scotch tape and the box had some scuffs from being shipped around.

Will have to do some testing to make sure there's no dead pixels but so far I think I really lucked out to get the ideal monitor for me for almost the going price for the Samsung Neo G8!
Alienware 32" has fixed text fringing and has a 3 year burn in warranty. It's only 1499 to which is great.
Old 01-13-2024, 11:37 AM   #3118
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Might have to send the cpu block back as ek has the mono block on sale for almost what I bought the block from performance pcs in the states.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-quantum...ro-d-rgb-plexi
Old 01-13-2024, 11:39 AM   #3119
photon

Exp:

Just tried a HDR video on YouTube, holy cow.

I may have to replay through Cyberpunk 2077.
Old 01-13-2024, 11:40 AM   #3120
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just tried a HDR video on YouTube, holy cow.

I may have to replay through Cyberpunk 2077.
Yes,

Cyberpunk with path tracing , hdr and max ray tracing is amazing on oled.