Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2014, 03:13 PM   #3061
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would love to play an AD&D game on a console.
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:17 PM   #3062
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
If someone owns a PS3 and hasn't played The Last of Us that doesn't make them any less of a "gamer" or mean they're some casual.
Yep. It does. Deal with it.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:19 PM   #3063
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2014, 03:27 PM   #3064
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Actually it doesn't. I don't know why you sound so butt hurt? Sorry not everyone loves your precious Last of Us as much as you do.

What's especially ironic is a console owner calling out other gamers for being "casuals."

Last edited by cDnStealth; 07-29-2014 at 03:31 PM.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:33 PM   #3065
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Honestly man, are you 12 years old? Because that's the only way your posts make any sense.

No one really gives a crap if you classify them as a gamer or not. In fact given your approach to the topic, I think most people would rather not be.

BTW, played the game....overrated and forgetable.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:44 PM   #3066
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Goodness people. The last post was aggressive sarcasm.

It has very little to do with The Last of Us. It'd be like having an N64 and lot playing Super Mario 64. Or a dedicated long-time PC gamer not having played Half-Life or StarCraft. Or a big Xbox guy that had never touched Halo.

It's essential #### -- be less sensitive folks.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:48 PM   #3067
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Soooo, back to the thread topic, as I was looking at getting one of these next gen systems soon, has the shift gone back a little to the XBOne now considering the prices are the same and the XBOne has the better 'living room integration'.

Personally I'm a Sony guy right now, but not so much I wouldn't shift. The fact that the PS4 isn't as good a entertainment hub as the PS3 kinda soured me a bit. And it sounds like the XBOne is.

Also, any idea if either company plans on doing 3D support in the future? I know it's kinda a gimmick more than anything, but I thought the technology was fun in certain situations.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:50 PM   #3068
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
Also, any idea if either company plans on doing 3D support in the future? I know it's kinda a gimmick more than anything, but I thought the technology was fun in certain situations.
As far as I know, both consoles now support 3D Blu-Rays. PS4 does for sure, as of yesterday. 3D gaming probably not too far behind, but it didn't really catch on much with the PS3, so who knows.
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2014, 03:59 PM   #3069
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I read that both consoles have or are updating with 3d support soon. I know its coming to Xbox in the next update.

As for which to get, I'm gonna say I went Xbox because of the living room integration, and I don't really regret it. I actually like having one overlay to switch from youtube, netflix, tv and gaming. I can also vouch for the fact that Xbox one has been very aggressive with updating the system, they are improving the features all the time. The kinect, while universally laughed at online, has actually become a standard part of how I use my home entertainment (specifically the voice commands). Its become a nice to have tool in certain situations.

I can't speak for the PS4 as I haven't tried one, but I don't regret the Xbox One and I don't know if the apparent differences in power has really resulted in any meaningful differences in games, but I'm probably just a casual.

Ultimately I think you have to decide based on exclusive game series that you like, like Halo or Uncharted.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2014, 04:29 PM   #3070
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Yeah, the 'entertainment center' has appeal to me. It's one of the reasons I went with the PS3 years ago. For them to take a step back kinda irks me.

I will also agree that the difference in pure power, which the PS4 does win, doesn't really seem to amount to anything too meaningful as far as the games go. And for the very few titles where the graphics are going to be important to me (which is so few, it doesn't matter as much to me as some here) I'll probably pick up for the computer anyway, the way I did with Skyrim when it came out.

Of course, like the big SNES vs Genesis war of the 90's, the extra power may not mean a bunch in the beginning of the lifecycle, but it can end up meaning a lot at the end of the lifecycle.

But you are right, it'll probably come down to the franchise titles. And I am far more familiar with the Sony titles.

Thanks for the update on the 3D guys!
Old 07-29-2014, 05:00 PM   #3071
Chill Cosby
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

At this point, from the view of a regular consumer, the only REAL difference between the two consoles is the exclusive games and perhaps the feel of the controller.

Just pick whichever one has exclusives you think you'll like more, I'm sure you'll be happy with either system you buy, and anyone outside of spec fanboys (do they have a better name than that? I don't feel like that's the right name) won't likely notice much of a difference I don't think.
Chill Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:09 PM   #3072
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/07/2...-one-ea-access

Interesting, this. If one plays enough EA titles on XB1 (I certainly do), I see this as being a neat thing.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:26 PM   #3073
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I own a PS3.

I own Last of Us.

I haven't played it (well only a little bit of the first part).

I guess that makes me a casual!

I agree it's essential, I just haven't played it yet.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:03 PM   #3074
TjRhythmic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Soooo, back to the thread topic, as I was looking at getting one of these next gen systems soon, has the shift gone back a little to the XBOne now considering the prices are the same and the XBOne has the better 'living room integration'.

Personally I'm a Sony guy right now, but not so much I wouldn't shift. The fact that the PS4 isn't as good a entertainment hub as the PS3 kinda soured me a bit. And it sounds like the XBOne is.

If your into sports games, and any other EA game. They announced that beta is starting soon on their new subscription service.

http://business.financialpost.com/20..._lsa=4c4c-396b

it's exclusive to Xbox One, and rumor is that you don't need a Gold membership to use it.

$5 a month, or $30 a year seems like a good deal. Don't know how the catalogue will work with regards to new games being released, as well as past games.

Unlike Playstation Now, the EA one is all next gen games it seems as well.
TjRhythmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:06 PM   #3075
TjRhythmic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

EA Access site

http://www.ea.com/eaaccess/
TjRhythmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:14 PM   #3076
zedge
Farm Team Player

Exp:

EA Access sounds pretty damn good. $30 a year. Yep think I am singing up. Wont need my BF4 disc anymore and can download Fifa and Peggle. The early access and discounts is icing on the cake. Good job MS on getting this deal. I hope this is a trend going forward. I am in the preview and got the code to download it early.

Quote:
Yeah, the 'entertainment center' has appeal to me. It's one of the reasons I went with the PS3 years ago. For them to take a step back kinda irks me.

I will also agree that the difference in pure power, which the PS4 does win, doesn't really seem to amount to anything too meaningful as far as the games go. And for the very few titles where the graphics are going to be important to me (which is so few, it doesn't matter as much to me as some here) I'll probably pick up for the computer anyway, the way I did with Skyrim when it came out.

Of course, like the big SNES vs Genesis war of the 90's, the extra power may not mean a bunch in the beginning of the lifecycle, but it can end up meaning a lot at the end of the lifecycle.

But you are right, it'll probably come down to the franchise titles. And I am far more familiar with the Sony titles.

Thanks for the update on the 3D guys!
I have both and my Xbox gets most of my use. Its funny cause I bought the PS4 on launch day, lined up outside Target in the cold to get it. But since I picked up the One its been my main console, even for multiplatform games. I now prefer the Xbox one controller so that helps with my choice. The difference is power is negligible, and unless you have a game side by side you wouldn't know the difference, even then some games there is barely any. (Dont flame me its my opinion) That may change as developers get more comfortable with the platforms but even then. Its the exclusive games that will really push each system, not the multiplats anyway. For me the software and features on the Xbox > the currently bare bones PS4. Its nice they both finally have 3D bluray now, although Xbox one does not officially have it yet. Should be very soon though in the Aug update.

To be honest though get the one that fits your needs, has the exclusives you want to play and has your friends. Or just get both.

Last edited by zedge; 07-29-2014 at 08:26 PM.
zedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:44 PM   #3077
zedge
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Signed up for EA Access, downloading everything. Think I am gonna need an external HD pretty quick. lol!
Old 07-29-2014, 09:01 PM   #3078
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Sounds like a good deal, though I think if your going for services PS Plus trumps it. That thing is amazing, especially when your able to get on with a discount for whatever reason.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:06 PM   #3079
zedge
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sounds like a good deal, though I think if your going for services PS Plus trumps it. That thing is amazing, especially when your able to get on with a discount for whatever reason.
Games with gold is pretty much the same as PS+ for free games and discounts on 360 and Xbox One.

This is a separate entity.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:12 PM   #3080
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
BTW, played the game....overrated and forgetable.
lol

Personally thought TLOU had one of the best stories and characters in a video game. Ever.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote