Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2023, 08:35 AM   #3041
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
8am and it’s pretty warm and extremely humid out there. When did I move to Florida?
Florida came to you right around May 29th.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2023, 08:42 AM   #3042
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Lol. It took me a minute but I eventually got the joke.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 11:00 AM   #3043
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

WMI forecast is up, storms will "have no problem becoming severe and staying severe" today in the project area.

https://wmiradar.com/alberta/forecast/forecast.pdf
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 11:13 AM   #3044
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I gather from that we will see hail of a sort that will damage cars... which might be the first time this year that's been a major threat, at this level? I don't know really how to read that but I assume it's basically everywhere in Calgary that's at risk so get your cars under cover, basically, is the advice here?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 11:16 AM   #3045
you&me
First Line Centre

Exp:

So, uh, does this mean that I shouldn't plan a barbeque for tomorrow afternoon?
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 11:18 AM   #3046
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
So I gather from that we will see hail of a sort that will damage cars... which might be the first time this year that's been a major threat, at this level? I don't know really how to read that but I assume it's basically everywhere in Calgary that's at risk so get your cars under cover, basically, is the advice here?
If you don't have a covered space to put your vehicle, $30-50 of moving blankets might be the next best option.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 11:19 AM   #3047
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

The problem is my car has been at cosmos collision for over a month.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 06-30-2023, 11:32 AM   #3048
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The problem is my car has been at cosmos collision for over a month.
I don't know what your situation is but sometimes there's situations where intentionally parking a specific car outside due to hail might make sense. Sometimes, it's not just a money issue, it's an emotional issue and it's salt in the wounds that the payout is no where close to what it would cost to replace.

If I had to pick and choose, my older car is harder to replace for a reasonable price. I might consider letting my newer car get destroyed if I had no choice and then take the higher payout to upgrade. It's easier to find decent cars for over $40K+ than it is to find a decent car for under $20K, especially if the entire city gets obliterated by hail at the same time.

If Cosmos is storing your car outside, uhh... would it be better to get a new one?
Old 06-30-2023, 11:35 AM   #3049
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I doubt it. I suspect if TD wrote the car off the amount they would offer would be far less than its actual value and value to me. I might just head down there and put a couple of blankets and a cover on it.
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2023, 11:46 AM   #3050
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just stop under a bridge on a freeway. If the shoulder is full, use the driving lanes. That’s the new thing.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2023, 11:54 AM   #3051
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
I doubt it. I suspect if TD wrote the car off the amount they would offer would be far less than its actual value and value to me. I might just head down there and put a couple of blankets and a cover on it.
As someone who has never had a write-off before, are you saying they don’t even give you the value of the vehicle? Like, if my truck gets completely thrashed, I’m not even going to be able to afford the same make/model?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 11:58 AM   #3052
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

They'll give you what THEY say is the value of the vehicle. Which is going to be based on some very unfavorable calculations, particularly on older cars.
Old 06-30-2023, 12:08 PM   #3053
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
As someone who has never had a write-off before, are you saying they don’t even give you the value of the vehicle? Like, if my truck gets completely thrashed, I’m not even going to be able to afford the same make/model?
It has been about 8 years since I went through a write off but if you want to be compensated properly you need to ask for a vehicle market report (I don't remember the proper name) which shows the comparable vehicle listings that the insurance company is using to base the value on. Most of the time those comparables are pushing your value down. I had received the report and submitted a list of other comparables for sale which pushed my value up about $2500.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 12:17 PM   #3054
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah so humid out, can tell something is coming. And I gotta be at a BBQ at my sisters this afternoon because my dad is in town, and she lives in the deep S.E. of the city where it's always Armageddon during storms. My poor car...
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 12:25 PM   #3055
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

God, I hate insurance companies.

Was driving west and all I could see was a giant wall of clouds toward the mountains. Not sure if that has anything to do with the coming storm but it didn't look great.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 12:53 PM   #3056
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is why I like Hagerty - when you write the policy you set the value of your vehicle. If it gets written off you get a check for exactly that amount.
Old 06-30-2023, 12:55 PM   #3057
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Keep this tab open on your phone: https://wmiradar.com/ahsp/index.php?...comp&length=10

It will tell you how big/intense the storm is based on colour of precipitation + cloud height, and what direction it’s heading.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2023, 12:56 PM   #3058
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
It has been about 8 years since I went through a write off but if you want to be compensated properly you need to ask for a vehicle market report (I don't remember the proper name) which shows the comparable vehicle listings that the insurance company is using to base the value on. Most of the time those comparables are pushing your value down. I had received the report and submitted a list of other comparables for sale which pushed my value up about $2500.
This works if your car is newer and there's options for purchase. I don't think this works for older cars.

I had to do this but I was lucky in that mine wasn't available for purchase at all. It was a cosmetic thing that would have exceeded the value of the car to repair.

I was expecting a $5-6K valuation (prices had just exploded due to Covid), but lower models and older models with more mileage were going for $6-7, so the guy asked if I'd accept $9K as a valuation due to higher trim level and lower KM. It was more than expected, so I agreed, got half that value less deductible as a payout, sold the car for $5K to a friend who needed a reliable beater and bought a different car.
Old 06-30-2023, 12:57 PM   #3059
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
Keep this tab open on your phone: https://wmiradar.com/ahsp/index.php?...comp&length=10

It will tell you how big/intense the storm is based on colour of precipitation + cloud height, and what direction it’s heading.
When you see numbers like 12+, and heading right at you… that when it’s time to cover things up.
Old 06-30-2023, 01:03 PM   #3060
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post

Apparently at the moment God disapproves of Olds.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote